A myth that needs to die

Advertisement
The question isn’t whether he can recruit, he can recruit. Bags or no bags is another issue.

The real question is will he come to Miami. I’m pretty sure I know the answer to that, the way things are looking now the answer is a hard pass from Mario.

So whether he can recruit or not is irrelevant unless this question is answered, the question is, will he leave Oregon?

I don’t believe he will, especially this year.

Somebody prove me wrong.
I wouldn't even contemplate it for a second if I'm Mario. Just look at CIS as a reflection of our cesspool fanbase. You have disrespectful clowns around here calling him "Luigi" and incessantly bringing up the Stanford loss while ignoring the OSU win but then not even having the cojones to say who they actually WANT for the job. Pathetic.

I like my HC to have coordinator experience is my only concern, but for optics alone if you can get Mario you do it.. Worst case he recruits like **** for the next guy
He needs to know what championship athletes, coaching, preparation and football-play looks like, first and foremost. He needs to be a tone-setter. He doesn’t need to hold a clipboard or be overly involved in schemes to a successful HC. Mario has been around championship-level coaches & programs as a player and throughout this coaching career. What he’s doing at Oregon is no fluke and there’s no rational justification for not pushing our chips to the middle of the table & pursuing this man.
nice cheap shot about Butch leaving Miami and why he did is something you obviously know nothing about.
if it wasnt for the miracle job Butch Davis did in the 90's, then people like you would not even have
a Miami football program today. the sanctions the NCAA hammered Miami with were
intended to kill the program and the job Butch did was beyond a miracle.

all the little Butch-haters that claim to be Canes fans today should line up and
kiss his *** to thank him for doing what he did to save Miami football.
Butch should come in as an analyst, because he’s in the twilight of his coaching career and he’d still have a lot to offer.

The whole “fence around the state of Miami” will never ever happen again. We should know that.

But **** even Manny and Golden were able to grab enough talent to make it look like there was hope

Mario would be able to hold his own I think
Some people might be selling Mario short on recruiting. If he is almost getting top 5 classes at Oregon now, on the west coast 4k miles away from his recruiting wheelhouse, what happens when he comes back? And then what if he actually starts winning? I think #4-6 recruiting classes is a conservative guess for him at Miami.

Advertisement
Either him or the tickles dude, that mother got them natty boyz balling.

We would be pulling in the 5 range annually in recruiting with Mario. Better than 10 p much every year.

What we lack in bags, we can make up for with just good foundational evaluation and recruiting acumen. NIL money has closed the bag gap a bit...but nothing closes the gap like good evaluators and recruiters.

Idk...Mario has too much of a track record as a recruiter to even make this a talking point.

There are plenty of other legitimate warts to discuss...but recruiting ain't one of them.

Ffs, Manny Diaz was able to land James Williams and Leonard Taylor...every bum coach here can get some dudes...but getting more dudes, evaluating dudes...thats something Mario can do.

Advertisement
Some people might be selling Mario short on recruiting. If he is almost getting top 5 classes at Oregon now, on the west coast 4k miles away from his recruiting wheelhouse, what happens when he comes back? And then what if he actually starts winning? I think #4-6 recruiting classes is a conservative guess for him at Miami.
4-6 would be beyond my expectations to be honest

Top 10-15 is definitely in his wheel house but as we keep seeing over and over again we keep missing quality guys right under our noses that aren’t necessarily top ranked recruits

Getting a couple of big fish and getting the right ones to fill out the class in multiple classes and suddenly we are looking really good

Has an alumnus ever won a football national title? I know kirby has a chance. Can’t think of any.

Not bust, but I think there will be a drop off. I think us pulling a top 10 guy like Mario would be a big, big reach for us and and even bigger win.
I’d be okay with a Mel Tucker or Dabo (Pre-success) type of a guy. Mario would be a jackpot, so would Kiffin, but no coach is perfect. However, there is personality that breeds success and a personality that merely coasts along. Manny is neither as team performance has regressed under him. To me, AG was the coast along kind of a guy (without Dorito). I just want the big honchos to do their homework and not focus on a big splash guy, then see him fail. Know what we want, interview all possible candidates, then decide. Question for you: when we hire a search firm to find potential HC candidates, what does their search entail? Do they just point out available candidates or do they actually do an analysis of their match and potential to succeed here, and then identify them?

Advertisement
has it not occurred to anyone that oregon might have stepped up their "efforts" since his arrival?

bama certainly stepped something up when saban got there

not saying this is what happened, just surprised to see no one bring it up yet.

Advertisement
Butch should come in as an analyst, because he’s in the twilight of his coaching career and he’d still have a lot to offer.
thats an idea ... but at this point, Butch might not wanna dance with Miami again. it would depend on a lot of things.

thats an idea ... but at this point, Butch might not wanna dance with Miami again. it would depend on a lot of things.
70 y.o. people don't dance. They find a nice comfy seat close to the bathroom and chill..

also, if i'm not mistaken, Mario got his coaching start with Butch as a GA. So it would be coming full circle.

70 y.o. people don't dance. They find a nice comfy seat close to the bathroom and chill..

also, if i'm not mistaken, Mario got his coaching start with Butch as a GA. So it would be coming full circle.
70 year old Nick Saban still dancing pretty good at Bama !

Advertisement
Back