A myth that needs to die

Advertisement
The thing is as a fan even myself...we have been so conditioned that when we get a new HC we expect to lose recruits in sfla to OSU bama UGA. Like it feels like that's what we expect no matter who comes here. Let's see when Mario gets the job if we are correct or things change on the trail.

There have been several posters stating our recruiting tactics are way behind other top schools and that we are way behind in the way we establish relationships.

Fixing that can go a long way now that we are in the NIL game. I don’t think it is a coincidence we sign two 5 stars as soon as NIL comes into play. The big money seems ready to put their chips in the game. Hopefully they are ready to pony up for some enhanced recruiting. We may not pay Bama prices or pull their numbers. But a few hundred thousand to a mil per year to spread around would get us some talented players.

college football GIF by Miami Hurricanes

Planting my flag on the Mario hill.

Mario Slurp Team
DcqsiW.gif

Advertisement
The knock on Mario was “ he needs more time and experience at a bigger school. He does that and more yet we still pick it apart. This is a wacky fan base. I think some of y’all are being Skip Bayless types, just being contrarian to be contrarian. It’s not like we’re bringing a former cane home for the romance factor, we want to bring him home because he’s a cane that went out and proved himself. Just like we all wanted. Oh well, some of you guys won’t be happy regardless of the hire.
For ever Mario naysayer I ask the question, who is a better candidate today?

Our society is trained to complain without offering up solutions or alternatives

Hiring Mario doesn’t guarantee a championship, but it’s pretty hard to argue that there are a ton of better options right now

Advertisement
Oh...I thought you were going to say the one about the University not having the money to compete with other schools for top coaches...Im about over that one

For ever Mario naysayer I ask the question, who is a better candidate today?

Our society is trained to complain without offering up solutions or alternatives

Hiring Mario doesn’t guarantee a championship, but it’s pretty hard to argue that there are a ton of better options right now
There are no guarantees, that is why so many names get brought up. I think it comes down to what your expectations are for our program or what you want them to be. We favor the guy that you feel can meet those expectations. I'm in the minority, I don't want a coach that stays 20 years. Hard pass on that.

Advertisement
I don’t think I’m reaching when I say our best best game beats oregon lol

But this is the whole point. When do we ever play our best game? We've played the exact same game for 6 weeks now. Our cumulative score in the ACC this year is 200-200. We are the definition of average. I keep waiting for our best game too, but it NEVER comes. We have beaten ONE team this season by more than 4 points, and it was a High School team. So either we have way less actual talent on this team than we think we do and that the recruiting rankings say, or our coaches just can't squeeze the fruit enough to get even a B+ game out of these kids. Either way, it's broken.

I don't think Oregon is great either but they beat a team ranked #3 on the road by more than we beat App State at home.

Advertisement
“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
Summon Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

People question Mario's ability to hire assistants? Lmfao.

Geoff Collins
Scott Satterfield
Marcus Arroyo
Andy Avalos
Joe Moorhead
Alex Mirabal
Todd Orlando
James Coley
Frank Ponce

Among others. He can find assistants.
Imagine him with a real salary pool too.

People question Mario's ability to hire assistants? Lmfao.

Geoff Collins
Scott Satterfield
Marcus Arroyo
Andy Avalos
Joe Moorhead
Alex Mirabal
Todd Orlando
James Coley
Frank Ponce

Among others. He can find assistants.
That would be imperative because if he comes and we are successful, those guys will be gone to other programs on the regular. That is the only scenario where I wouldn't mind a coach staying here a long time. Only if we are losing coordinators every few years because we are winning. Keep hungry guys in the coaching circle.

Advertisement
Back