A myth that needs to die

Thats not the point. You're touting top 10 wins and talking about the PAC-12 being terrible doesn't matter. Mario has 4 top ten wins in his career. Jeff Brohm has 2 two this year alone and he beat a Top 5 Ohio State team a couple of years ago too. Are you clamoring for Jeff Brohm who has none of the advantages that Mario has? If Purdue got to play Mario's schedule and not Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa they could be 9-1 too.
MSU and Iowa are the NC State of the Big 10. Let's not act like they are even remotely elite. Yea, they each squeak out a 10 win season here and there and do some surprising stuff, and then get humiliated when it matters most. Remember MSU making the BCS? Yea, they lost I think 38-0...............that is elite?

Advertisement
Guys lol Oregon would maul us on both sides of the LOS. Look at what they did against Ohio State up front.

Then look at what Fsu did to us with (maybe) one first round pick. Oregon has ten fold the talent on defense.

Oregon beats us by multiple TD’s.
They’re ranked 94th on defense

MSU and Iowa are the NC State of the Big 10. Let's not act like they are even remotely elite. Yea, they each squeak out a 10 win season here and there and do some surprising stuff, and then get humiliated when it matters most. Remember MSU making the BCS? Yea, they lost I think 38-0...............that is elite?
Football only maybe you compare MSU and NCSU. Only comparison though, MSU is a far better school, more comparable to UNC.

Who called them elite? The point is Oregon has a terrible schedule. It is a schedule plenty of teams could go 9-1 against. Body blows matter. Purdue has punched above their weight 5 times this year. Won 2 of them and played 5 top 20 teams this year. 4 in conference. Oregon sees their second ranked opponent all year this weekend. The schedule is soft. There is no debating it.

Not SPC but I'd say he's right around 10.

Tier 1) Saban, Dabo, Riley, Smart, Jimbo - Championship level coach and recruiter
Tier 2) Day (maybe tier 1), Kiffin, Fitzgerald, Brian Kelly (maybe tier 1), Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, Whittingham

Cristobal probably fits in that tier 2 category. Clearly behind Day, Kelly, & Fitzgerald IMO. Making him 9th at best. Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, & Whittingham have done it longer at a comparable level. I think a playoff appearance and another PAC12 title puts him firmly ahead of Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, Whittingham, & Kiffin - they're all relative to me right now.

Fitzgerald is the harder one to gauge because of where he's at but I think he's one of the best.
Why rank him being Day? Day has yet to play with only his boys. He was left stocked full of talent! And if the ever underachieving Harbaugh is Tier 2, then Mario definitely is!

Advertisement
Guys lol Oregon would maul us on both sides of the LOS. Look at what they did against Ohio State up front.

Then look at what Fsu did to us with (maybe) one first round pick. Oregon has ten fold the talent on defense.

Look at what Oregon did to Cal or Stanford or against Arizona for three quarters. You guys only watch a couple games a year or something? Or do you think teams play the same way every time they step on the field? Oregon aint like that. You can't expect them to produce an A or B+ performance every week. I mean the way people talk about their "loaded roster" they're often playing at a C level. It makes you wonder why that loaded roster consistently plays below their alleged talent level.

What the **** does any other sport than football have to do with this conversation?!?!
Well NCSU isn't anywhere close to MSU. I was being polite. Competing against OSU, PSU, Michigan in football is a little different than battling UNC, WF, Duke etc for years. NCSU has rarely ever been in the conversation while MSU has been.

Well NCSU isn't anywhere close to MSU. I was being polite. Competing against OSU, PSU, Michigan in football is a little different than battling UNC, WF, Duke etc for years. NCSU has rarely ever been in the conversation while MSU has been.
Then please explain why most years the Big 10 gets walloped in bowl games when they play comparable teams from other conferences? I lived in Big 10 country for far longer than I like to admit, those teams are not near as good as they are made out to be.

Advertisement
Why rank him being Day? Day has yet to play with only his boys. He was left stocked full of talent! And if the ever underachieving Harbaugh is Tier 2, then Mario definitely is!
I said he was tier 2 and said I had him ahead of Harbaugh.. a playoff appearance and/or another conference title removes any doubt that he shouldn't be ahead of Harbaugh.

Day has proven enough. Blew out Clemson in the playoffs a year ago. He's got Stroud playing at an insane level. True freshman RB playing at an insane level. Mario's teams continue to play a meh offensive system and a meh defensive system. But they have the H2H W and have accumulated some talent.

Then please explain why most years the Big 10 gets walloped in bowl games when they play comparable teams from other conferences? I lived in Big 10 country for far longer than I like to admit, those teams are not near as good as they are made out to be.
Can't answer that. I just think saying MSU is on NCSU level is wrong. Purdue maybe, not MSU.

I said he was tier 2 and said I had him ahead of Harbaugh.. a playoff appearance and/or another conference title removes any doubt that he shouldn't be ahead of Harbaugh.

Day has proven enough. Blew out Clemson in the playoffs a year ago. He's got Stroud playing at an insane level. True freshman RB playing at an insane level. Mario's teams continue to play a meh offensive system and a meh defensive system. But they have the H2H W and have accumulated some talent.
I think Day will be fine, but his quality wins so far are with Urbans guys. His big game so far this year was Oregon and he got beat. I will be a true believer when it is HIS team.

But this is the whole point. When do we ever play our best game? We've played the exact same game for 6 weeks now. Our cumulative score in the ACC this year is 200-200. We are the definition of average. I keep waiting for our best game too, but it NEVER comes. We have beaten ONE team this season by more than 4 points, and it was a High School team. So either we have way less actual talent on this team than we think we do and that the recruiting rankings say, or our coaches just can't squeeze the fruit enough to get even a B+ game out of these kids. Either way, it's broken.

I don't think Oregon is great either but they beat a team ranked #3 on the road by more than we beat App State at home.
Can’t argue with facts fair enough. I guess it would take our best shot + oregon falling asleep like they do at times

Advertisement

Yet couldn't mail Fresno and Arizona of the world.
You can always tell who never really watched the teams actually play and watch espn highlights.

“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
If Mario stays put, will be interesting to see how Oregon fairs recruiting against scW with a good hc

It would take better than our Pitt and NCST performances. We would have to play some form of competent defense to win it. Don't think you're reaching though.

It's probably a 1 score game one way or the other on a neutral field.
There is not a single chance in **** we could stop their run game

Advertisement
Yet couldn't mail Fresno and Arizona of the world.
You can always tell who never really watched the teams actually play and watch espn highlights.
I'm sad enough to stay up until 3am to watch a few Oregon games.

I see Cristobal as a programme builder who will stack the roster and just out talent most of the ACC. He's a **** sight better than what we've had in two decades, but he's not the best HC we could possibly get.

Advertisement
Back