A myth that needs to die

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.

Advertisement
Come Here Lets Go GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Bring him HOME!!!!!!! Let him build the foundation and then the mansion. Let him build his empire here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Best viable option on the West Coast + Nike hype machine = good recruiting for Mario

Still had no business losing to Stanford

How many teams are undefeated this year?

Saban was a 17.5 point favorite and lost. Winning every football game is very, very difficult. That’s why there’s only a team or two, at most, who do it every year.

Advertisement
How many teams are undefeated this year?

Saban was a 17.5 point favorite and lost. Winning every football game is very, very difficult. That’s why there’s only a team or two, at most, who do it every year.

Didn't say anything about him not being undefeated.

Losing to that Stanford team is further evidence that he's a poor GameDay coach.

Leave it to Miami fans to bash the University for prioritizing a:
Top 10 HC
Elite recruiter
2x Conference Champion (about to win 3rd)
4-1 vs top 10
Respected in the football community
Learned under Saban
Played for JJ
Former player
Hometown guy

We don’t deserve him.

IF he is willing to leave Eugene, you have to take him. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. He's the only candidate who wouldn't bolt after winning big. He's a lifer. And would come for the right reasons. Loyal version of Butch Davis.
I would be happy with Mario, and he is the logical choice, but I don't want some lifer here. I don't know why that matters to people so much. Look at all the so called lifers, they are basically like union hacks that you can't get rid of no matter their performance. Dying a slow death that way I think. And the schools that had these lifers are in the EXACT same spot as us.

Advertisement
I recall seeing Mario at local high school games actually watching what is going on. Mario knows his stuff. Mario has studied his craft and continues to improve every year. Mario also knows how to coach and develop players.

Not sure if the Canes have the money to get Mario, but Mario would thrive here in Coral Gables

Mario to Miami has grown on me.

I think as a Canes fan I felt entitled for him to still want us, rather than us having to court him.

Need to put my bias aside and realize he'd be the best coach we have had here in a long time.

I still think Lane is who we end up getting, but I'm good with Mario as well.

Advertisement
Back