A myth that needs to die

Respect was earned when he chewed out a player that made a dumb mistake. The kid sat there like a man took it on the chin.

The amount of respect that player has for Mario is telling.
Mario's going to have to work double time to find kids with that attitude, which was impressive and I'd guess cultivated way before he got to Mario.

Advertisement
His recruiting prowess is what sets him apart from other candidates. He’s not a schemer nor some game day genius but if you want to win big in college football, you have to win signing day. Georgia isn’t the best team in the country because Kirby Smart is some kind of savant. Nick Saban isn’t some kind of innovative coaching whiz. Those guys get the best players and win the most games.

Advertisement
college football GIF by Miami Hurricanes

Planting my flag on the Mario hill.

Mario Slurp Team

How many teams are undefeated this year?

Saban was a 17.5 point favorite and lost. Winning every football game is very, very difficult. That’s why there’s only a team or two, at most, who do it every year.
I’ve been saying this exact same thing every time I see someone make this argument. One or two teams go undefeated every year. It’s almost impossible not to lose one game. No matter who the opponent is. Some just catch you on their best days and your worst days. It happens

I would be happy with Mario, and he is the logical choice, but I don't want some lifer here. I don't know why that matters to people so much. Look at all the so called lifers, they are basically like union hacks that you can't get rid of no matter their performance. Dying a slow death that way I think. And the schools that had these lifers are in the EXACT same spot as us.
I don’t disagree. By lifer, I meant what Saban or Dabo have been more so than Paterno/Bowden.

I want a coach who will win at an elite level but won’t jump at the first opportunity to get more money.

Advertisement
Leave it to Miami fans to bash the University for prioritizing a:
Top 10 HC
Elite recruiter
2x Conference Champion (about to win 3rd)
4-1 vs top 10
Respected in the football community
Learned under Saban
Played for JJ
Former player
Hometown guy

We don’t deserve him.
He’s not a top 10 HC imo but everything else spot on

“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
I finally gave up on arguing this. It’s like anything else ,if you hear it enough it’s gotta be true Lol.

Advertisement
“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
That's all good, but anyone who was arguing that point clearly still wonders why Nick Saban dropped bags for Mario...and probably lean towards thinking it was because he was the greatest OL coach going at the time....LMFAO

His recruiting prowess is what sets him apart from other candidates. He’s not a schemer nor some game day genius but if you want to win big in college football, you have to win signing day. Georgia isn’t the best team in the country because Kirby Smart is some kind of savant. Nick Saban isn’t some kind of innovative coaching whiz. Those guys get the best players and win the most games.
Kirby and Saban are both expert DCs. That isn’t a debate. They know defense. Mario will never accumulate the type of talent those two do so he’s behind the 8 ball in two ways. The talent acquisition deficit isn’t a Mario thing it is a Miami thing. We’ll always be behind so you have to make up for it. Win on the margins. Have someone who can tactically scare the **** out of other teams is how you do it.

I want playing Miami to be the worst week of prep every team has. That is not something Mario brings. He doesn’t appear to hire innovative coordinators either.

Advertisement
Mario to Miami has grown on me.

I think as a Canes fan I felt entitled for him to still want us, rather than us having to court him.

Need to put my bias aside and realize he'd be the best coach we have had here in a long time.

I still think Lane is who we end up getting, but I'm good with Mario as well.
Me too. I was on the other side of the aisle until the last year. He went away and proved himself.

Last edited:
It’s obvious it all starts with recruiting these days. That being said, and I’m going to sound like a broken record, 1b is hiring the right people as coaches.

Advertisement
Back