A myth that needs to die

Advertisement
Advertisement
As far as bags are concerned they’re not a steady and constant. Just because Oregon had coaches before who relied on X and Os and schemes fit doesn’t mean after wandering around in the wilderness they couldnt have decided they needed to change the way they do things.

UGA was just fine recruiting under Richt. Kirby got there and said if you want me to beat Bama we have to play the same game. All of sudden Kirby and UGA are recruiting at an entirely different level. But I guess Kirby just like Mario is simply one of the best to ever do it.

Last edited:
I like my HC to have coordinator experience is my only concern, but for optics alone if you can get Mario you do it.. Worst case he recruits like **** for the next guy

Advertisement
Kirby and Saban are both expert DCs. That isn’t a debate. They know defense. Mario will never accumulate the type of talent those two do so he’s behind the 8 ball in two ways. The talent acquisition deficit isn’t a Mario thing it is a Miami thing. We’ll always be behind so you have to make up for it. Win on the margins. Have someone who can tactically scare the **** out of other teams is how you do it.

I want playing Miami to be the worst week of prep every team has. That is not something Mario brings. He doesn’t appear to hire innovative coordinators either.
And you think Saban/Kirby are experts in OL? No. They hire great OL coaches. Same thing Mario will do for Defense. Hire a great DC.

Loyal version of Butch Davis.
nice cheap shot about Butch leaving Miami and why he did is something you obviously know nothing about.
if it wasnt for the miracle job Butch Davis did in the 90's, then people like you would not even have
a Miami football program today. the sanctions the NCAA hammered Miami with were
intended to kill the program and the job Butch did was beyond a miracle.

all the little Butch-haters that claim to be Canes fans today should line up and
kiss his *** to thank him for doing what he did to save Miami football.

Advertisement
Respect was earned when he chewed out a player that made a dumb mistake. The kid sat there like a man took it on the chin.

The amount of respect that player has for Mario is telling.

One of my absolute favorite Mario stories:

Mario has always been into boxing. There was a kid who was a total knucklehead on the team (I won't say which team or which kid). Kid was talented, but he was getting into fights, being a cancer in the locker room, etc. Mario said, "Fine. You want to fight anyone, fight me."

He told the the kid to meet him at his gym the next morning, at 6:30 a.m. The kid started talking **** about how Mario was going to get his *** kicked in the boxing ring, and how he was the one who was going to do it.

The kid shows up the next morning, brings three of this boys to watch him bust up Mario, three players that were all part of the troublemaking "ten cent head" brigade that was infecting the team locker room. They all watch Mario spar for a bit with some of the other members of the boxing club he belonged to, and then Mario said to the kid: "ok, your turn." Now, Mario is a big boy, but this player was a 19 year old 300 lb defensive tackle.

The kid looked at Mario, didn't say a word. Took off his gloves and his headgear. Left the gym, and went back and cleaned out his locker, and was never heard from on campus again.

His three buddies that were with him? Never had a problem with those kids after that.

And you think Saban/Kirby are experts in OL? No. They hire great OL coaches. Same thing Mario will do for Defense. Hire a great DC.
What evidence do you have of Mario hiring a great DC? Has he ever done it? That’s not really the point. Saban and Kirby are great recruiting head coaches who have an expertise on a side of the ball. They’re different from Mario in that regard

Advertisement
I think if he truly comes to Miami, his chance to be a top 10 coach is there. I don’t think he’s there yet
Why don’t you consider him a top 10? Who else can take over a Taggart run program and make them a playoff contender 3 years later?

“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
I’ve been saying this lol, great post

Keep selling us on Mario ; I like it .
My take after 50 years of inside and outside the program would be stay as far from UM players / alum as possible. The good ole days never were ; these guys didn’t know what was really going on when they were inside the program just like the team is clueless now .
“ whoever we hire as HC he has to run pro style O cuz we’re NFL pipeline.”
“Run 4-3 attack man coverage and we beat everyone w S Fl twitch kids.”
The HC recruiter has to build a team : it’s which 4/5 stars u combine together - not whoever is available to stack the class ratings.
OC DC are the best u can find that are good enough that you never know if they’re gonna be poached first or fired for their unbearable ego .

Advertisement
Back