A myth that needs to die

did you know that the Oregon OC had a medical event minutes before the game and the team was left without its OC and play caller?
Did you know that his team led 24-17 on that final drive and gave up at least one 4th and long? So his DC who was completely healthy and was on site certainly had alot to do with losing that the game. That drive had nothing to do with the OC's absence.

Advertisement
Did you know that his team led 24-17 on that final drive and gave up at least one 4th and long? So his DC who was completely healthy and was on site certainly had alot to do with losing that the game. That drive had nothing to do with the OC's absence.
you might be right about the last drive, but they scored a season low 24 points in that game, which with a fully healthy OC suggests they might have scored much more and that final TD by Stanford might have been moot

I think there was a lot more working against him at FIU than his “ antics”. Kids changing in broom closets and having high school facilities with no money was a tad bigger issue. I used to mock him for his time at FIU until I actually saw what he was dealing with. From the AD on down. That was an absolute **** hole.

AGREED.

Think hes learned alot since then.

Apparently fiu is still having the same issues according to Butch

Advertisement
you might be right about the last drive, but they scored a season low 24 points in that game, which with a fully healthy OC suggests they might have scored much more and that final TD by Stanford might have been moot
His OC was back the next week and they scored 24 again. That QB is a problem but he fits Mario's profile. Mario is risk adverse and starting a true freshman is risky.

He's still recruiting at a high level and has the most potent offense in the country by a long shot. He was breaking in Stroud earlier this season - I think if they played again OSU would wipe the floor with Oregon.

Not really an indictment of Mario - Day inherited a better roster at a better program. DeRuyter is also trash.

I could see Mario leaving to separate himself from him without having to fire him. That wasn't the best hire and I think he'd like a do-over on that and his OC.
OSU beats oregon by 2 scores easily now. If Oregon gets to the playoff they will be the typical sacrificial lamb for the other real pwers

OSU beats oregon by 2 scores easily now. If Oregon gets to the playoff they will be the typical sacrificial lamb for the other real pwers
Yep I ended up saying 20+ points a few posts later. I’d feel really confident in that if I was betting on that game.

We can debate Mario all day long but the fact is that unlike several of our prior HCs, he's competent which means that this should be a perennial 9 win team with the talent on this squad. That's better than what we currently have. Now, the question with Mario is, can he regularly win 10-12 and put us in contention for a national championship once every 6-8 years? He does not have that history so we cannot definitively answer that question. That said, the reality is that short of a handful of coaches, not many have that proven history either. Certainly, no one who's legitimately up for grabs now is a proven championship commodity.

Advertisement
Exactly. Mouth breathers in here think this is a mutual situation for some reason. If Mario is willing to come, he's the next coach at UM and it's the biggest coup we've ever had in a hire. Our delusional fanbase still thinks we're a top 10 program in every way, when we've a has-been wannabe trying to play catch up to the big boys. As I've stated, I think he's too smart to come here now. Hopefully I am very wrong.
I’m tired of “mutual” and “familiarity-based” hires. Especially the “backyard “ ones. With the power brokers I’m hearing involved, this needs to be a business decision. Thorough homework. Pay must equal performance, which can then reflect in contract extensions or terminations. I don’t really care who’s hired. i know, easy for me to say, but that’s why I’m not the one hiring and firing.

I completely disagree with that.

Last year 10-13 in recruiting rankings. Each had multiple ELITE national kids with atleast one 5 star.

10. Oklahoma
11. Miami
12. Florida
13. Michigan

Those 4 were MUCH closer to USC/Oregon last year who was 7 and 6 nationally, than Arkansas (ranked 25) who only had 3 4stars and 17 3stars
The blue chip % and average player score tell a better than story than class ranking which can be skewed by larger classes. A pretty significant jump in blue chip % for the #6.5 average ranked team. ....And let's not forget Chip Kelly had far more on field success in a more competitive PAC12 with lesser quality recruits which levels the playing field.

2010201120122013TOTAL BLUE CHIPS
Chip KellyChip KellyChip KellyChip KellyTotal38
5*11114BLUE CHIP %
4*1081063442%
3*111481144
2* or less23207AVG CLASS RANK
Total Signed242621188914.25
Class Rank12121419AVG PLAYER SCORE
AVG PLAYER SCORE0.87740.89240.88510.87730.88305
2018201920202021TOTAL BLUE CHIPS
MarioMarioMarioMarioTotal52
5*01304BLUE CHIP %
4*12116194853%
3*111515445
2* or less20001AVG CLASS RANK
Total Signed25262423989.25
Class Rank137116AVG PLAYER SCORE
AVG PLAYER SCORE0.89180.9060.90190.92360.905825
2018201920202021TOTAL BLUE CHIPS
DaboDaboDaboDaboTotal59
5*515314BLUE CHIP %
4*71212144567%
3*5156228
2* or less11AVG CLASS RANK
Total Signed17292319886.25
Class Rank71035AVG PLAYER SCORE
AVG PLAYER SCORE0.93450.89760.93440.94010.92665

Last edited:
Some of you "old timers" care to explain how a Mario hire is much different than Randy Shannon hire? I remember the excitment of Shannon's hiring...former JJ player, knew what it took to get UM back to glory days disciplinarian, can recruit, former players loved it, was viewed at the time as a great DC, all the things I am hearing about Mario...except Randy couldn't coach out of a paper bag. Now we are supposed to be excited about paying gobs of money for the "same thing"? I get it..Mario has won at Oregon, worked under Saban, etc...but he hasn't been to the playoffs, has some ugly losses to lesser opponents and if it goes bad here how long does it take to get out? I think I prefer someone who is an excellent COACH and has no historical ties to the program....assemble a good staff and recruiting takes care of itself as long as the Ws are there.

Are you f'ing kidding me? Mario is one of the best recruiters in the country, learned under Saban, and in the past two years Mario has taken his team to the Fiesta Bowl and the Rose Bowl (won), won 12 games in a season, had the #3 recruiting class in the country last year, and might just better all those results this year.

But yeah... Mario and Randy are the same. Jesus.

I am starting to get very down on the membership here. Some of you need to try just a little harder please.

Advertisement
I’m tired of “mutual” and “familiarity-based” hires. Especially the “backyard “ ones. With the power brokers I’m hearing involved, this needs to be a business decision. Thorough homework. Pay must equal performance, which can then reflect in contract extensions or terminations. I don’t really care who’s hired. i know, easy for me to say, but that’s why I’m not the one hiring and firing.

You are approaching it wrong. The only chance we have to lure a coach of Mario's stature is to lean in on the familiarity. And even with the connect I think its a long shot. If we don't get him, I highly doubt the next coach will have much of a previous relationship to UM. Maybe Stoops, but that would be a benefit.

We can debate Mario all day long but the fact is that unlike several of our prior HCs, he's competent which means that this should be a perennial 9 win team with the talent on this squad. That's better than what we currently have. Now, the question with Mario is, can he regularly win 10-12 and put us in contention for a national championship once every 6-8 years? He does not have that history so we cannot definitively answer that question. That said, the reality is that short of a handful of coaches, not many have that proven history either. Certainly, no one who's legitimately up for grabs now is a proven championship commodity.

Well, he's doing it in the Pac-12 already. Fiesta bowl, Rose bowl, 12 win season, 9-1 right now with road win at OSU, # recruiting class last year.. bringing in 5-stars...

The Nike Deal with Oregon is worth nearly double per year than the UM deal....but ya ...let's downplay it. Oh did i forget to mention Oregons top ranked signee signed a six figure deal with Nike? You've got to have your head buried in the sand to believe this **** is myth.

Advertisement
You are approaching it wrong. The only chance we have to lure a coach of Mario's stature is to lean in on the familiarity. And even with the connect I think its a long shot. If we don't get him, I highly doubt the next coach will have much of a previous relationship to UM. Maybe Stoops, but that would be a benefit.
So you’re Mario or bust?

Mario really struggled at FIU in his final season (after turning down the Rutgers job opening to return to FIU following the successful 2011 season).

But a couple points there. First, the previous coach was winless in 2006 and had the 2003-2005 wins vacated by the NCAA for violations. It was a train-wreck coming in. Pete Garcia promised the world and never delivered on any of the facilities upgrades and program improvements he requested. So it was also a train-wreck going out. That program is in shambles to this day.

2003​
Don Strock2–10
2004​
Don Strock3–7
2005​
Don Strock5–6
2006​
Don Strock0–12
2007​
Mario Cristobal1–11
2008​
Mario Cristobal5–7
2009​
Mario Cristobal3–9
2010​
Mario Cristobal7–6
2011​
Mario Cristobal8–5
2012​
Mario Cristobal3–9

Second, that was 10 years ago. Since then, Mario has apprenticed under Saban (and Kiffin for that matter), ran recruiting at both Bama and Oregon, was co-OC at Oregon then HC where he's gone 9-4 in 2018, 12-2 in 2019, 4-3 in COVID 2020 and now 9-1. In 3 of his last 4 years, Mario has had 9+ wins, the only off year being COVID 20. We've only had 9+ wins four times in 16 years.

IMHO, Mario was not a good candidate to be head coach at Miami when Taggert was fired, He hadn't proven himself. But now, looking at his recent success along with 20 years of steady learning and growth, I honestly can't think of a better choice. I'll be happy with Kiffin or Stoops. But Mario is my #1 by far.

Not trying to be a **** how many of those highly rated guys pan out or even qualify to make it on campus past signing day.

One class that is glaring is that 2018 class.

Advertisement
Back