A myth that needs to die

Dude the money ( investors ) being talked about and long term plans is nothing like this program has seen. This is such another level that it’s comical to compare anything in the schools existence to . I’ve heard the stadium talks for awhile and I laughed it off. But there’s actual legit talk there.
I remember when Lemonis came around a few years ago and got the stadium talk started up and talked with the University, the city, and I think Beckham's group was around then too.

Now here he is again with more Billionaires this time around. To accumulate this many guys and this much power is deeper than Mario Cristobal and the $20 million or whatever that's gonna take to fire Diaz, buyout Mario, staff, etc.

We've got enough fire power in the smoke out there right now that makes me think they're talking about ideas that cost something like $200M.

Advertisement
The thing is as a fan even myself...we have been so conditioned that when we get a new HC we expect to lose recruits in sfla to OSU bama UGA. Like it feels like that's what we expect no matter who comes here. Let's see when Mario gets the job if we are correct or things change on the trail.
The whole “fence around the state of Miami” will never ever happen again. We should know that.

But **** even Manny and Golden were able to grab enough talent to make it look like there was hope

Mario would be able to hold his own I think

Some of you "old timers" care to explain how a Mario hire is much different than Randy Shannon hire? I remember the excitment of Shannon's hiring...former JJ player, knew what it took to get UM back to glory days disciplinarian, can recruit, former players loved it, was viewed at the time as a great DC, all the things I am hearing about Mario...except Randy couldn't coach out of a paper bag. Now we are supposed to be excited about paying gobs of money for the "same thing"? I get it..Mario has won at Oregon, worked under Saban, etc...but he hasn't been to the playoffs, has some ugly losses to lesser opponents and if it goes bad here how long does it take to get out? I think I prefer someone who is an excellent COACH and has no historical ties to the program....assemble a good staff and recruiting takes care of itself as long as the Ws are there.
First of all, I'm not necessarily a Mario guy. I don't even care to get into coaching debates right now. I'm less worried about Mario and more worried about the University's commitment and plan. However, what I think some of the others would tell you is Mario has led multiple programs; Randy had not led any. Mario is a known and proven recruiter; Randy had that one class and just sorta devalued recruiting after it. Mario is in the classic "CEO" mold; Randy was a coordinator. There are significant differences between the two, I think. Again, I'm not worried about them right now. Either this University commits to real systemic change, or we're f'd with or without Mario, Lane, Aranda, or whomever.

Where do you stand on Mario? Reading the tea leaves, I would say you are luke warm at best.
It's more of indifference at the moment. I don't think it matters unless the roots are torn out and the whole thing is reset.

It's more of indifference at the moment. I don't think it matters unless the roots are torn out and the whole thing is reset.

I read your post, which made me make the "luke-warm" comment.

Indifference aside- so, let's assume the optimal AD is hired, and he chooses you to hire the HC - who do you pick?

Advertisement
First of all, I'm not necessarily a Mario guy. I don't even care to get into coaching debates right now. I'm less worried about Mario and more worried about the University's commitment and plan. However, what I think some of the others would tell you is Mario has led multiple programs; Randy had not led any. Mario is a known and proven recruiter; Randy had that one class and just sorta devalued recruiting after it. Mario is in the classic "CEO" mold; Randy was a coordinator. There are significant differences between the two, I think. Again, I'm not worried about them right now. Either this University commits to real systemic change, or we're f'd with or without Mario, Lane, Aranda, or whomever.
And let's not kid ourselves...Randy's #1 ranked class...had no business being ranked #1...Bama EASILY had the #1 class that yr...and it showed 3-4yrs later....

And let's not kid ourselves...Randy's #1 ranked class...had no business being ranked #1...Bama EASILY had the #1 class that yr...and it showed 3-4yrs later....
I get it ...in hindsight easy to see differences...

But "AT THE TIME" of the hire...everyone was saying a lot of the same things we are saying about Mario....I just think I prefer a proven Xs/Os coach from the outside....Worked with Schnelly and JJ and makes easier to cut/move on if not working

Comparing Shannon to Mario is mind numbing

Mario has quite literally worked his way through the ranks and has a potential playoff team under him

How can someone ask how it’s different than Randy f’in Shannon?

Other than 2 years as a player for Dallas, Shannon never left Dade County. GA, then assistant, then the Fins, then back to Miami as the DC. The guy had a "Rolodex" that could fit in a wallet.

Advertisement
View attachment 161520I too, want this car. But I’m definitely going to kick tires around the Kia dealerships, just to gain perspective and make sure I’m getting what I’m paying for.

Exactly. Mouth breathers in here think this is a mutual situation for some reason. If Mario is willing to come, he's the next coach at UM and it's the biggest coup we've ever had in a hire. Our delusional fanbase still thinks we're a top 10 program in every way, when we've a has-been wannabe trying to play catch up to the big boys. As I've stated, I think he's too smart to come here now. Hopefully I am very wrong.

I get it ...in hindsight easy to see differences...

But "AT THE TIME" of the hire...everyone was saying a lot of the same things we are saying about Mario....I just think I prefer a proven Xs/Os coach from the outside....Worked with Schnelly and JJ and makes easier to cut/move on if not working
Makes more sense. Maybe I misunderstood a little bit

I personally don’t remember people being that excited about Randy other than the local blowhards that preached about having a Miami Guy

Mario isn’t a slam dunk hire for me but that’s more because of what else we have to do in order for it to work

He has at least proven he deserves a shot at the job from a results standpoint

I read your post, which made me make the "luke-warm" comment.

Indifference aside- so, let's assume the optimal AD is hired, and he chooses you to hire the HC - who do you pick?
Ha. Impossible because I want to evaluate each for personality and skills. I'm not privy to that information from where I'm sitting. I know we need a strategist and someone who commands genuine respect. If you have a sound infrastructure in place, I think the best bet for today's football is an offensive mind, naturally.

Half that 2008 class was gone within 3 years. We had some real beauties like Cannon Smith, Taylor Cook and Brandon Marti. Then there were a bunch of kids who had no business at Miami, but we had half of the MNW senior class.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The whole “fence around the state of Miami” will never ever happen again. We should know that.

But **** even Manny and Golden were able to grab enough talent to make it look like there was hope

Mario would be able to hold his own I think
A gifted super gifted recruiter can keep the most home I believe that. If Saban can get everyone and Jimbo.... It's possible we just have to find that guy. It could be Mario

Some of you "old timers" care to explain how a Mario hire is much different than Randy Shannon hire? I remember the excitment of Shannon's hiring...former JJ player, knew what it took to get UM back to glory days disciplinarian, can recruit, former players loved it, was viewed at the time as a great DC, all the things I am hearing about Mario...except Randy couldn't coach out of a paper bag. Now we are supposed to be excited about paying gobs of money for the "same thing"? I get it..Mario has won at Oregon, worked under Saban, etc...but he hasn't been to the playoffs, has some ugly losses to lesser opponents and if it goes bad here how long does it take to get out? I think I prefer someone who is an excellent COACH and has no historical ties to the program....assemble a good staff and recruiting takes care of itself as long as the Ws are there.
giphy-downsized.gif

Advertisement
Get off the high horse....everyone seemed pretty excited about Shannon and his ability to lock down S. FLa recruiting...

Give me somone who excels at Xs and Os...the recruiting will take care of itself.

“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
The other key to Mario and his staff is they "get" player development aspect of putting aa team together
we have been awful in this aspect regardless of who's in charge

Advertisement
Back