A myth that needs to die

Some of you "old timers" care to explain how a Mario hire is much different than Randy Shannon hire? I remember the excitment of Shannon's hiring...former JJ player, knew what it took to get UM back to glory days disciplinarian, can recruit, former players loved it, was viewed at the time as a great DC, all the things I am hearing about Mario...except Randy couldn't coach out of a paper bag. Now we are supposed to be excited about paying gobs of money for the "same thing"? I get it..Mario has won at Oregon, worked under Saban, etc...but he hasn't been to the playoffs, has some ugly losses to lesser opponents and if it goes bad here how long does it take to get out? I think I prefer someone who is an excellent COACH and has no historical ties to the program....assemble a good staff and recruiting takes care of itself as long as the Ws are there.
Anyone with a Brain knew Onion was a terrible hire from the get go....Excited??...C'mon man...his sidelines were a mess unlike anything I've seen...

Advertisement
Get off the high horse....everyone seemed pretty excited about Shannon and his ability to lock down S. FLa recruiting... Give me somone who excels at Xs and Os...the recruiting will take care of itself.
Your stance of hiring a less with more type coach (Mark Stoops) is understandable. Asking the difference in Shannon/Cristobal is not. One is proven, one was not. Just busting balls earlier. Bad example though.

Not SPC but I'd say he's right around 10.

Tier 1) Saban, Dabo, Riley, Smart, Jimbo - Championship level coach and recruiter
Tier 2) Day (maybe tier 1), Kiffin, Fitzgerald, Brian Kelly (maybe tier 1), Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, Whittingham

Cristobal probably fits in that tier 2 category. Clearly behind Day, Kelly, & Fitzgerald IMO. Making him 9th at best. Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, & Whittingham have done it longer at a comparable level. I think a playoff appearance and another PAC12 title puts him firmly ahead of Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, Whittingham, & Kiffin - they're all relative to me right now.

Fitzgerald is the harder one to gauge because of where he's at but I think he's one of the best.

So now rank CFB teams by wins and losses, bowl wins, conference championships, and revenue over the last 15-20 years and tell me where we are when you averages those four categories. That's who we are.

Getting the #9 coach in the country would be like winning the lottery.

Your stance of hiring a less with more type coach (Mark Stoops) is understandable. Asking the difference in Shannon/Cristobal is not. One is proven, one was not. Just busting balls earlier. Bad example though.
No worries...my hope with Mario is he is a Butch Davis...recruits so well that the X/Os matter less...but if the goal is to be at the pinnacle of college football...do we really think Mario outschemes a Saban, Riley or Urban Meyer in the playoffs??? Hopefully he assembles an OC/DC combo that can

Advertisement
Check out Inglorious ********(movie) and it will tell you all you need to know about the Bear ***
I haven't seen the movie (but definitely will now) and checked out some clips on YouTube.

As a MOT myself, I completely approve.
pat morita nod GIF

Advertisement
So now rank CFB teams by wins and losses, bowl wins, conference championships, and revenue over the last 15-20 years and tell me where we are when you averages those four categories. That's who we are.

Getting the #9 coach in the country would be like winning the lottery.
You're not wrong - it seems like a long shot to me too.

Programs change and up their investments all the time and become committed. We have to hope what we're hearing is legit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ha. Impossible because I want to evaluate each for personality and skills. I'm not privy to that information from where I'm sitting. I know we need a strategist and someone who commands genuine respect. If you have a sound infrastructure in place, I think the best bet for today's football is an offensive mind, naturally.
It's message board fodder, you buzzkill! But I can tell you aren't a Mario guy (which is fine).

Generally, I would be looking for an offensive mind as well, but I can't pass up on the intangibles and realisticness (is that a word?) of getting Mario. I don't really think Kiffin is an option, and I'm not sure who else moves my needle enough.

Respect was earned when he chewed out a player that made a dumb mistake. The kid sat there like a man took it on the chin.

The amount of respect that player has for Mario is telling.
Dude....preach....I've seen COUNTLESS TIMES where our kids make a mistake and CMD or Patke or even JessSimpson is talking to them and they walk right past them, barely even turn around to hear what the coach is saying.....absolutely zero respect. On the contrast I've seen Lashlee earhole a guy for a stupid mistake, have seen TRob in action during practice so I know he's live on the game sidelines....not sure about Likens-OL coach, also heard that RB coach will light ya up too....unsure of Fields too but I believe Fields was with Mario in Eugene so even if he doesn't coach our TEs I'd like him to stay in some capacity, maybe ST coach, as he's an ELITE recruiter

Advertisement
Back