Swasey

And FYI [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] the players think highly of Gus and he's a breath of fresh air from Swasey. That's per a player.

Word is he's more detailed.

FYI the players love gus. Those same players who had been working with gus this year then started doing draft prep the last month with swasey (Stacy coley,David njoku,Adrian colbert,corn elder are the only um kids & they ALL said they feel FAR more explosive & prepared) that's per those players who all now are working with Pete Bomarito. As with everything else yall feel free to take it as you wish. People handle the truth differently. That's not a complaint about gus. Personally I love the man. But there's things he could change a lil. That's what training is. Doing what's right by each individual player instead of assigning a group of individuals the same workouts & waiting for results.

I really dislike this passive aggressive ****. It's nonsensical bullsh1t. Once again, we just had a walk-on go with Pete describe the workouts. Just about every single college football program works on fast twitch workouts.

If you're such an expert on this, then explain to me what you want done.

One thing I've seen thus far in year 1 under Gus compared to the last decade with Swasey:

Gus - Our team wasn't getting pushed around or looked slow and sluggish during a game.
Swasey - Our team was constantly getting beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. We also ranged from our team being too slim and not having much muscle with Randy. To being all strength with no conditioning with Golden.

Again,common sense has to come into play at some point [1]. Everyone in the nation does things that will to an extent work fast twitch into their exercises & it's a whole other to do a group of exercises that target fast twitch fibers & in particular explosion. I'm not telling you we don't work on explosion but it's a very small concern for us now[2]. Not sure what yall wanna argue but you should do more research before you blame swasey for everything. When it comes down to it he has a job & that job is dictated by the head man's agenda. Now personally I'm done with this cause yall are just making up an argument for me. I just relayed him getting hired to yall & my(as well as most other people who worked with hims) opinion of him as a coach & person. Heaven forbid people have their own opinions.none of this is gonna change mine. That's not saying I have any problem with gus or Moffitt or any other strength coach. It's a simple preference just like when you pick any other trainer to deal with you on a personal level.

1) I never said it was all Swasey's fault. It's clear as day that Golden wanted his players bulked up with speed and explosion sacrificed (Chickillo being the main example).

2) Once again, if you listened to the podcast you'd understand that the main point of emphasis was to change the body composition type on these kids and get their conditioning back in order.

You're tired of talking about it, but you're the one who started the conversation - now you're the one that doesn't like what they hear. At no point did I look at our team this season and question the S&C like I done in previous years while Swasey was the guy. Personally I don't care if he's the biggest prick or the nicest guy in the world. You mentioning the type of person he is means you know him in some fashion and can't look at things objectively. Meanwhile, I've never been in the room with the guy, so I have no dog in the fight. Yes, the orders come down from the HC, but at the end of the day Richt called for a culture change.

Advertisement
Butch Davis is a Football God.

Said it before and I'll say it again, never gets old. Made my morning. Butch is a football God. The Creator of the greatest team in the history of college football. As far as Swasey goes I think Brooklyndee is the only one on the board to train under Swasey and one of the few to have played for the Canes so I'll take what he says as the most informed opinion. Nothing tops experience.

Go Canes!

To clarify again. I think gus is great I love his approach overall with the kids cause he brings so much energy & exuberance to them every single day. He's a great dude. All I'm telling yall is what happened about swasey taking the job for butch. If so many people think butch is great than its amusing the same people question swasey. It's hypocritical. Honestly swasey really got a bum rap but no one wants to hear that.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Most of the Swasey criticism comes from posters who haven't played the game at a high level. You have so I'll take your word for it. The Cane legends that are held in the highest regard around here have never bad mouthed Swasey and they all came back to train with him. That speaks volumes to me. Swasey was probably as much a victim of lack of support from the shalala admin than anyone else, except Golden/Doh'Nofrio, they just sucked. Appreciate the insight you bring to the board.

Go Canes!

What's lacking in this thread is anything of substance besides saying "I'm right". How about some details from both sides?

Like I said, I am not an expert but I know enough to know that explosive movements (at higher weights and low reps). Top stregnth guys like Moffitt use this protocol (Hatch falls into this category) and you have icons in the S&C community like Poliquin talk about this and fast twitch results. There's a formula. Swasey, from what I recall, was not known to implement this kind of training.

Anyway, my $0.02.

How am I saying I'm right or anything else? All I said from an arguments standpoint is he got a bad rap. That's a fact. I've stated my opinion of why I believe he got a bad rap what else should I say?has nothing to do with any other trainer. I will say as fact ur wrong if you assume he doesn't use the same regimen. He learned his basics under Moffitt when both were with us.

And FYI [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] the players think highly of Gus and he's a breath of fresh air from Swasey. That's per a player.

Word is he's more detailed.

FYI the players love gus. Those same players who had been working with gus this year then started doing draft prep the last month with swasey (Stacy coley,David njoku,Adrian colbert,corn elder are the only um kids & they ALL said they feel FAR more explosive & prepared) that's per those players who all now are working with Pete Bomarito. As with everything else yall feel free to take it as you wish. People handle the truth differently. That's not a complaint about gus. Personally I love the man. But there's things he could change a lil. That's what training is. Doing what's right by each individual player instead of assigning a group of individuals the same workouts & waiting for results.

I really dislike this passive aggressive ****. It's nonsensical bullsh1t. Once again, we just had a walk-on go with Pete describe the workouts. Just about every single college football program works on fast twitch workouts.

If you're such an expert on this, then explain to me what you want done.

One thing I've seen thus far in year 1 under Gus compared to the last decade with Swasey:

Gus - Our team wasn't getting pushed around or looked slow and sluggish during a game.
Swasey - Our team was constantly getting beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. We also ranged from our team being too slim and not having much muscle with Randy. To being all strength with no conditioning with Golden.

Again,common sense has to come into play at some point [1]. Everyone in the nation does things that will to an extent work fast twitch into their exercises & it's a whole other to do a group of exercises that target fast twitch fibers & in particular explosion. I'm not telling you we don't work on explosion but it's a very small concern for us now[2]. Not sure what yall wanna argue but you should do more research before you blame swasey for everything. When it comes down to it he has a job & that job is dictated by the head man's agenda. Now personally I'm done with this cause yall are just making up an argument for me. I just relayed him getting hired to yall & my(as well as most other people who worked with hims) opinion of him as a coach & person. Heaven forbid people have their own opinions.none of this is gonna change mine. That's not saying I have any problem with gus or Moffitt or any other strength coach. It's a simple preference just like when you pick any other trainer to deal with you on a personal level.

1) I never said it was all Swasey's fault. It's clear as day that Golden wanted his players bulked up with speed and explosion sacrificed (Chickillo being the main example).

2) Once again, if you listened to the podcast you'd understand that the main point of emphasis was to change the body composition type on these kids and get their conditioning back in order.

You're tired of talking about it, but you're the one who started the conversation - now you're the one that doesn't like what they hear. At no point did I look at our team this season and question the S&C like I done in previous years while Swasey was the guy. Personally I don't care if he's the biggest prick or the nicest guy in the world. You mentioning the type of person he is means you know him in some fashion and can't look at things objectively. Meanwhile, I've never been in the room with the guy, so I have no dog in the fight. Yes, the orders come down from the HC, but at the end of the day Richt called for a culture change.

Agree completely. Don't have a single problem with it & I didn't start this conversation at all. What I did is relay the fact that butch hired him & my opinions on him as a man & coach. All the rest happened cause people can't respect we all got opinions. I don't complain about gus at all. He's doing a wonderful job. Does that mean there isn't some small stuff he could add in, no it doesn't because there's always room to make changes that will help us out.

I know he was here when Moffitt was here but I recall tons of threads on this topic over the years of folks (who know much more aobut this topic then I do) explained how the regimen changed. Now, why/how did it change are different topics altogether but that's what I recall from my fuzzy memory.

Advertisement
What is the obsession some Miami "fans" have with every freaking person that either leaves the university or gets fired????

Look player *** is ballin' out and East Idaho State- All Conference!, see I told you!
Look coach *** is now with Montana Tech, he gon get all the gud croots from Richt!

I may be reading too much into this but I am beginning to think Brooklyn is a former player.

Everyone bagging on Swasey, but:

1. As strength coach he followed the orders of head coach, so you blame head coach for the team workout results.
2. Did not have the same resources as Felder in terms of personnel or nutrition.
3. Still has a good reputation as NFL players and prospects continue to hire him.

#3 is such a tired argument. Swasey happens to live in a place many professional athletes live/visit in their off time. Do you think if Swasey lived in Boise, Idaho those same players would hire him?

They still dont have to hire him but they do. Idk but i'd think since may pros live/visit here that along with that there would be a good supply of options as far as S&C trainers, no?

"So you feel because a kid has something naturally that you shouldn't nurture that & help enhance it?that's ur point? "
[MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION]

No, not my point at all. I am assuming Felder's workouts do this already. I am only disputing the premise that you can make fast twitch muscles "twitchier". You can strengthen muscles and elongate them through stretching exercises, but the actual fibers are already predetermined by one's genetics. That is why some runners are better at distance while others are better sprinters. You can't turn a successful miler into a successful 100 meter dasher through workouts alone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lol. Funny ain't it how other than yall Internet savages everyone of those fast kids from Florida all swear by the man... but you're right yall know better because you read about what he's responsible for on the internet... seems pretty hypocritical. Guess none of us know what we're talking about.
You're a ****ing moron. Read my other post, use your ****ing brain and get back to me. If you just want to blurt **** out because you're emotional then waste someone else's time.

You call me emotional when your made *** goes to calling people out of their name? This keyboard **** really made some of you es into real killers. Good thing you can't be held accountable for your keyboard. **** ur other posts. That's what you just said is it not? Some of you get a Lil carried away on here. God bless you though. You don't know any better.
You want my address? You think I'm worried about you Swasey Jr? You don't have the S&C to deal with me.

Yeah. Give me your address
I'm living rent free in your head

What's lacking in this thread is anything of substance besides saying "I'm right". How about some details from both sides?

Like I said, I am not an expert but I know enough to know that explosive movements (at higher weights and low reps). Top stregnth guys like Moffitt use this protocol (Hatch falls into this category) and you have icons in the S&C community like Poliquin talk about this and fast twitch results. There's a formula. Swasey, from what I recall, was not known to implement this kind of training.

Anyway, my $0.02.

How am I saying I'm right or anything else? All I said from an arguments standpoint is he got a bad rap. That's a fact. I've stated my opinion of why I believe he got a bad rap what else should I say?has nothing to do with any other trainer. I will say as fact ur wrong if you assume he doesn't use the same regimen. He learned his basics under Moffitt when both were with us.

I'm dying at 'That's a fact' then 'I've stated my opinion'

You're a ****ing moron. Read my other post, use your ****ing brain and get back to me. If you just want to blurt **** out because you're emotional then waste someone else's time.

You call me emotional when your made *** goes to calling people out of their name? This keyboard **** really made some of you es into real killers. Good thing you can't be held accountable for your keyboard. **** ur other posts. That's what you just said is it not? Some of you get a Lil carried away on here. God bless you though. You don't know any better.
You want my address? You think I'm worried about you Swasey Jr? You don't have the S&C to deal with me.

Yeah. Give me your address
I'm living rent free in your head

:sanford:

Well for all yall that think butch is a God but swasey is horrible this might hurt your feelings. Swasey just dropped all his private clients for off season work outs & draft prep to take the strength job for butch at FIU... for any of yall that really have trouble with this swasey is a beast. Has the fast fast twitch regimen in the country & it's not even close. Yall get mad cause he didn't agree with Alfred & that's the pot calling the kettle black if ever I seen it. Gus needs to start incorporating fast twitch into his workouts. It's integral to a kid truly developing explosiveness & limbering up the muscles.

Negative , BAMA (Scott Cochran), FSU (Vic Voloria) LSU (Moffet) Clemson (Joey Batson) THESE guys are the gawds of S&C and got the fast twitch game on lock. They are able to add/maintain muscle and developed explosive twitch at the same time. Plus incorporate an elite nutritional and suppliment program (and PED's)
Swasey was beloved by players (who had no elite knowledge of the career field) but he was meh.
Jury is out on GUS.

Advertisement
I'm not going to pretend to be a personal trainer or anything but it's been painfully obvious to anyone watching Miami football the last decade, that strength and conditioning were not this team's strongsuits. How many times did they get pounded into submission in the third and fourth quarter? How many seasons did they come out of the box strong only to wilt in the second half? Is it a coincidence that they hadn't won a bowl game in a decade? Maybe some of the blame goes to the coaching staffs, maybe some goes to the strength coach, maybe some goes to the players. Whatever it was, it was a problem that needed to be eradicated and coach Richt felt it best to bring in a whole new training staff. Seeing how the team got stronger towards the end of the year and crushed the bowl game, I think it was the right decision.

IIRC, when Swasey was let go it came out that he had all players doing the same workouts. He didn't have different specific workouts based on individual players or position groups. Just that fact alone shows his incompetence.

Advertisement
My question is can somebody be too twitchy? What if a WR goes up to grab a ball and he has a twitch in mid-air and misses the catch?

Last edited:
lol at threads about fiu hiring a coaching staff

Q: You think 'bama could give 2 ****s when uab hires some dude??

A: nope

Advertisement
Back