Swasey

Advertisement
Swasey was the 17th most important issue when he was at Miami. He's not at Miami anymore, not sure why this is a topic of discussion. Same for Butch. Doesn't matter how good a coach he is/was, he's not at Miami so IDGAF.

I think it's pretty evident the quality of a S&C coordinator he was based on the amount of offers he got from other schools once he left Miami.

Advertisement
FIU gonna have the most twitchiest fast twitch players in the country!

Better now schedule them boys, THEY COMIN

1. Swasey is the worst S&C coach in the country. I hope he's gotten his 6 week certificate by now so he can actually go in the weight room.
2. Butch Davis is a football recruiting god but is hardly a football coaching god. How the **** do you lose a game with the 2000 Canes roster? That's not even getting into his losses to Syracuse and FSU by a combined score of 113-13 in 1997-1998.
3. Why does something about Butch Davis have to be posted on here every 3 seconds?

I'm certainly no expert but I'm sure most top S&C guys in the country incorporate fast twitch/explosive movement/short burst training into their workouts. You'd be a fool not to. To imply Swasey cornered the market on fast twitch training strains credulity.

Advertisement
My only gripe with swasey is did his training ever evolve? what worked in the late 90's early 2000's doesn't mean it'll work now . . . i'm happy with gus thus far, however good luck to swasey

Well for all yall that think butch is a God but swasey is horrible this might hurt your feelings. Swasey just dropped all his private clients for off season work outs & draft prep to take the strength job for butch at FIU... for any of yall that really have trouble with this swasey is a beast. Has the fast fast twitch regimen in the country & it's not even close. Yall get mad cause he didn't agree with Alfred & that's the pot calling the kettle black if ever I seen it. Gus needs to start incorporating fast twitch into his workouts. It's integral to a kid truly developing explosiveness & limbering up the muscles.

Good stuff.
Will he be training his FIU kids via Skype?

Last edited:
Reason #29 why I didn't wanna hire Butch as our HC. Dude is a dinosaur and completely out of touch with today's college football. First he hires a 56 year old Offensive Coordinator and now he's hiring a complacent S&C coach.

And FYI [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] the players think highly of Gus and he's a breath of fresh air from Swasey. That's per a player.

Word is he's more detailed.

Advertisement
1. Swasey is the worst S&C coach in the country. I hope he's gotten his 6 week certificate by now so he can actually go in the weight room.
2. Butch Davis is a football recruiting god but is hardly a football coaching god. How the **** do you lose a game with the 2000 Canes roster? That's not even getting into his losses to Syracuse and FSU by a combined score of 113-13 in 1997-1998.
3. Why does something about Butch Davis have to be posted on here every 3 seconds?

Not saying he's a god but you obviously weren't around back them.

That loss was at U Wash, the second game of the year, a team hat ended up finishing 11-1 with a Rose Bowl win. This was coming off a 9-4 season in 1999 including a loss to East Carolina. In 1999, Dorsey (as a freshman) got blown out in his only true test (@ VTech). And I remember some old posters on the old Grassy board who made the trip, happened to be staying at the same hotel as the officiating crew, overheard the crew when they returned from the game, joking about how they jobbed Miami. Nobody knew how good they were. They didn't know how good they were. They didn't believe until they beat FSU. This was clearly a team that grew as the season progressed.

As far as the 97 and 98 teams. You have no idea the impact on the sanctions on those teams. The recent sanctions were a walk in the park in comparison (13 in 96-97 and 11 in 97-98). It gutted the depth. It was noticeable as early as the Pitt game in 97. Although the final score didn't show it, I was shocked how easily Pitt dominated the lines.

Butch did have his brain farts but until you realize how far Miami had fallen, you have no sense of what he had accomplished. In a short two year period, Miami had fallen farther than during the worst Golden years. Pundits were not only saying we should close the program but we would never be relevant again. Looking back 20 years, it's easy to say that was exaggerated, it wasn't really that bad but that was only because we didn't wallow in it for 15 years. Butch got us back quickly and he deserves credit for that.

Advertisement
All of our freshman this year seemed to have plenty of fast twitch after working with Gus this year. See AR, Pinkney, McCloud, Homer, etc.

This thread is LOL worthy. Sorry, Pete's podcast with Austin yesterday pretty much told you that this team works on fast twitch regimens. This is more specific in terms of working on core movement exercises like squats, cleans, etc. and always working. The key here is to lift heavy, because when you lift heavy, your body is forced to incorporate - wait for it......fast twitch muscle fibers to help lift said weight. It was mentioned that with Gus, interns were placed to where guys were no longer taking breaks after sets and would move onto the next workout where they were much more fatigued after workouts.
[MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION], I don't know you. You may be an insider or not. But a walk-on football player who just graduated is obviously closer to the program than you are and says much different about the workout program.

Besides, at no point did I see Miami get pushed around or gashed to death by speed from another team last season.

Advertisement
Back