Swasey

This thread is LOL worthy. Sorry, Pete's podcast with Austin yesterday pretty much told you that this team works on fast twitch regimens. This is more specific in terms of working on core movement exercises like squats, cleans, etc. and always working. The key here is to lift heavy, because when you lift heavy, your body is forced to incorporate - wait for it......fast twitch muscle fibers to help lift said weight. It was mentioned that with Gus, interns were placed to where guys were no longer taking breaks after sets and would move onto the next workout where they were much more fatigued after workouts.
[MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION], I don't know you. You may be an insider or not. But a walk-on football player who just graduated is obviously closer to the program than you are and says much different about the workout program.

Besides, at no point did I see Miami get pushed around or gashed to death by speed from another team last season.
It's all in the details. But hey what do I know.

Advertisement
Swasey is genetically placing fast twitch fibers into the genes of parents before the kids are born. Love you Brooklyn ,but swasey is garbage.

This. You can't genetically modify a kid's neurological make-up through any kind of work-out. The fact Brooklyn already acknowledges the "natural" explosiveness of South Florida athletes kind of contradicts his whole premise that Gus should be modifying any of his workouts. However, I suppose you can counter-act natural traits through forcing unnatural weight gain in some of our gifted athletes that the previous regime (along with Swasey) seemed to be good at.

This thread is LOL worthy. Sorry, Pete's podcast with Austin yesterday pretty much told you that this team works on fast twitch regimens. This is more specific in terms of working on core movement exercises like squats, cleans, etc. and always working. The key here is to lift heavy, because when you lift heavy, your body is forced to incorporate - wait for it......fast twitch muscle fibers to help lift said weight. It was mentioned that with Gus, interns were placed to where guys were no longer taking breaks after sets and would move onto the next workout where they were much more fatigued after workouts.
[MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION], I don't know you. You may be an insider or not. But a walk-on football player who just graduated is obviously closer to the program than you are and says much different about the workout program.

Besides, at no point did I see Miami get pushed around or gashed to death by speed from another team last season.

You've provided no details.

And I asked what do you know? And you've provided nothing.

Butch Davis is a Football God.

Said it before and I'll say it again, never gets old. Made my morning. Butch is a football God. The Creator of the greatest team in the history of college football. As far as Swasey goes I think Brooklyndee is the only one on the board to train under Swasey and one of the few to have played for the Canes so I'll take what he says as the most informed opinion. Nothing tops experience.

Go Canes!

To clarify again. I think gus is great I love his approach overall with the kids cause he brings so much energy & exuberance to them every single day. He's a great dude. All I'm telling yall is what happened about swasey taking the job for butch. If so many people think butch is great than its amusing the same people question swasey. It's hypocritical. Honestly swasey really got a bum rap but no one wants to hear that.

Everyone bagging on Swasey, but:

1. As strength coach he followed the orders of head coach, so you blame head coach for the team workout results.
2. Did not have the same resources as Felder in terms of personnel or nutrition.
3. Still has a good reputation as NFL players and prospects continue to hire him.

Advertisement
This is embarrassing.

Fast twitch regimen? Ok.

You mean he was able to train fast kids from Florida? Big ****ing deal.

Lol. Funny ain't it how other than yall Internet savages everyone of those fast kids from Florida all swear by the man... but you're right yall know better because you read about what he's responsible for on the internet... seems pretty hypocritical. Guess none of us know what we're talking about.
You're a ****ing moron. Read my other post, use your ****ing brain and get back to me. If you just want to blurt **** out because you're emotional then waste someone else's time.

You call me emotional when your made *** goes to calling people out of their name? This keyboard **** really made some of you es into real killers. Good thing you can't be held accountable for your keyboard. **** ur other posts. That's what you just said is it not? Some of you get a Lil carried away on here. God bless you though. You don't know any better.

1. As strength coach he followed the orders of head coach, so you blame head coach for the team workout results.
2. Did not have the same resources as Felder in terms of personnel or nutrition.
3. Still has a good reputation as NFL players and prospects continue to hire him.

Not disagreeing with 1 and 2. That's fine.

On 3. he knew how to relate to the players. But I can't take any strength and conditioning profession seriously when they can't even pass a required certification. Just me.

It's a little different having a small group of private clients vs. running a strength program for over 100 football players. How can you possibly do that on your own?

Swasey belongs at LA Fitness.

If Butch makes him hire a staff it may work.

Why do you keep saying that al? He had an entire team of assistants under him. They came from grad assistants etc. No different from the team doctor has a bunch of students under him who have their roles with the team...

I would argue that whether or not Swasey was an elite or good strength and conditioning coach is actually beside the point. I believe the point is that Swasey was here for 15+ years of our football team sliding into mediocrity and that a culture change was necessary.

From everything I have seen strength and conditioning coaches play a large role in the attitude and accountability a team has going into workouts and the season. Richt made the decision that a complete culture change was not going to happen unless he replaced the strength and conditioning coach. I support Richt if that is what he believed.

As in any organization, people who are good in their jobs can sometimes get complacent and that complacency may rub off onto their employees and ultimately affect the overall productivity of the organization. I think most people would agree that it was time for a change.

I don't know anything about the best way to go about training athletes, so I will not give an opinion on that. What I do know is that if an organization is failing to see the desired results for over a decade, comprehensive change has to occur, whether it was the entire staffs fault or not. Sometimes you just have to clean house to get to the next, hopefully more successful page. As Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Just my two cents.

Advertisement
And FYI [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] the players think highly of Gus and he's a breath of fresh air from Swasey. That's per a player.

Word is he's more detailed.

FYI the players love gus. Those same players who had been working with gus this year then started doing draft prep the last month with swasey (Stacy coley,David njoku,Adrian colbert,corn elder are the only um kids & they ALL said they feel FAR more explosive & prepared) that's per those players who all now are working with Pete Bomarito. As with everything else yall feel free to take it as you wish. People handle the truth differently. That's not a complaint about gus. Personally I love the man. But there's things he could change a lil. That's what training is. Doing what's right by each individual player instead of assigning a group of individuals the same workouts & waiting for results.

I really dislike this passive aggressive ****. It's nonsensical bullsh1t. Once again, we just had a walk-on go with Pete describe the workouts. Just about every single college football program works on fast twitch workouts.

If you're such an expert on this, then explain to me what you want done.

One thing I've seen thus far in year 1 under Gus compared to the last decade with Swasey:

Gus - Our team wasn't getting pushed around or looked slow and sluggish during a game.
Swasey - Our team was constantly getting beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. We also ranged from our team being too slim and not having much muscle with Randy. To being all strength with no conditioning with Golden.

Again,common sense has to come into play at some point. Everyone in the nation does things that will to an extent work fast twitch into their exercises & it's a whole other to do a group of exercises that target fast twitch fibers & in particular explosion. I'm not telling you we don't work on explosion but it's a very small concern for us now. Not sure what yall wanna argue but you should do more research before you blame swasey for everything. When it comes down to it he has a job & that job is dictated by the head man's agenda. Now personally I'm done with this cause yall are just making up an argument for me. I just relayed him getting hired to yall & my(as well as most other people who worked with hims) opinion of him as a coach & person. Heaven forbid people have their own opinions.none of this is gonna change mine. That's not saying I have any problem with gus or Moffitt or any other strength coach. It's a simple preference just like when you pick any other trainer to deal with you on a personal level.

You've provided no details.

And I asked what do you know? And you've provided nothing.

What do you mean what do I know? Ur losing me here. If you mean differences between the workouts I've already provided that. I don't know what else you wanna hear. Besides it's all irrelevant at this point.yall looking for an argument where there is none.

Swasey is genetically placing fast twitch fibers into the genes of parents before the kids are born. Love you Brooklyn ,but swasey is garbage.

This. You can't genetically modify a kid's neurological make-up through any kind of work-out. The fact Brooklyn already acknowledges the "natural" explosiveness of South Florida athletes kind of contradicts his whole premise that Gus should be modifying any of his workouts. However, I suppose you can counter-act natural traits through forcing unnatural weight gain in some of our gifted athletes that the previous regime (along with Swasey) seemed to be good at.

So you feel because a kid has something naturally that you shouldn't nurture that & help enhance it?that's ur point?

So you feel because a kid has something naturally that you shouldn't nurture that & help enhance it?that's ur point?
I dont agree with brooklyn about swasey But i do agree its utterly stupid to feel that quick twitch athletes cant be trained to improve on their twitchiness...GTFOH mane

Advertisement

Those are all facts that grown men simply refuse to acknowledge. How can It be any different from a productive employee working for a unproductive company. That employee is ultimately gonna wear that failure like the rest of the company.

This is embarrassing.

Fast twitch regimen? Ok.

Lol. Funny ain't it how other than yall Internet savages everyone of those fast kids from Florida all swear by the man... but you're right yall know better because you read about what he's responsible for on the internet... seems pretty hypocritical. Guess none of us know what we're talking about.
You're a ****ing moron. Read my other post, use your ****ing brain and get back to me. If you just want to blurt **** out because you're emotional then waste someone else's time.

You call me emotional when your made *** goes to calling people out of their name? This keyboard **** really made some of you es into real killers. Good thing you can't be held accountable for your keyboard. **** ur other posts. That's what you just said is it not? Some of you get a Lil carried away on here. God bless you though. You don't know any better.
You want my address? You think I'm worried about you Swasey Jr? You don't have the S&C to deal with me.

What's lacking in this thread is anything of substance besides saying "I'm right". How about some details from both sides?

Like I said, I am not an expert but I know enough to know that explosive movements (at higher weights and low reps) yields to fast twitch development - that's proven. Top stregnth guys like Moffitt use this protocol (Hatch falls into this category) and you have icons in the S&C community like Poliquin talk about this and fast twitch results. There's a formula. Swasey, from what I recall, was not known to implement this kind of training.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would argue that whether or not Swasey was an elite or good strength and conditioning coach is actually beside the point. I believe the point is that Swasey was here for 15+ years of our football team sliding into mediocrity and that a culture change was necessary.

From everything I have seen strength and conditioning coaches play a large role in the attitude and accountability a team has going into workouts and the season. Richt made the decision that a complete culture change was not going to happen unless he replaced the strength and conditioning coach. I support Richt if that is what he believed.

As in any organization, people who are good in their jobs can sometimes get complacent and that complacency may rub off onto their employees and ultimately affect the overall productivity of the organization. I think most people would agree that it was time for a change.

I don't know anything about the best way to go about training athletes, so I will not give an opinion on that. What I do know is that if an organization is failing to see the desired results for over a decade, comprehensive change has to occur, whether it was the entire staffs fault or not. Sometimes you just have to clean house to get to the next, hopefully more successful page. As Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Just my two cents.

All VERY GOOD POINTS THAT 100% CAN'T BE DENIED. Not only that but ultimately the head man who is accountable for all needs to be comfortable with his staff & the decisions he's made. Change was necessary & that's what happened. Two thumbs up john

This is embarrassing.

Fast twitch regimen? Ok.

You want my address? You think I'm worried about you Swasey Jr? You don't have the S&C to deal with me.

Yeah. Give me your address

#3 is such a tired argument. Swasey happens to live in a place many professional athletes live/visit in their off time. Do you think if Swasey lived in Boise, Idaho those same players would hire him?

Advertisement
Back