SI Believes UM Has Narrowed List to Four

I'd agree that Mullen and Butch are the two better choices. Mullen has done better than any other coach in recent memory at Miss. St. I don't know much about him or his style. He's quite young at 43, so I can definitely see him making a move (unless he has some strong tie to the area)....

[MIAMI: The mystery at Miami is who is really in charge. Will athletic director Blake James be making the hire? How much input will come from the Board of Trustees? Or what about the search committee that the school announced it was using on Nov. 16, which includes "Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde?"

There's a sense that Miami has narrowed its field. It would be surprising if the next coach didn't come from a group that includes Butch Davis, Rob Chudzinski, Dan Mullen or Greg Schiano. There's a lot of sentiment for Davis, which is curious considering the NCAA issues in his program at North Carolina and the NCAA issues Miami is attempting to distance itself from during the Nevin Shapiro scandal. Chudzinski and Schiano both have ties to Miami's glory days, with Chudzinski having the advantage of deeper roots at The U and Schiano having much more head coaching experience. Could Miami afford Mullen, who makes more than $4 million a year at Mississippi State? It's reasonable to expect Mullen making average of more than $4.5 million the next five years in Starkville, factoring in bonuses and escalators. (And let's face it, it's cheaper to eat at Little Dooey in Starkville than Joe's Stone crab on South Beach). Can notoriously spendthrift Miami, which struggles to draw crowds, step up and pay that much? Mike Shula's name has also popped up, but he's thought to prefer the NFL, where he's quietly thriving with the Carolina Panthers as the offensive coordinator. (Former Hurricane Ken Dorsey is the quarterback coach there and could be an attractive coordinator candidate at Miami).

Prediction: Butch Davis

I'm thrilled if it's Dan Mullen.
I'm happy if it's Butch Davis.
I shake my head if it's Schiano.
I take everything in my medicine cabinet if it's Dud.

Advertisement
Mullen would be great but he strikes as too much of an "outside the box" hire for this administration. No UM ties, bro. Didn't coach in the NFL.

Mullens msu teans do play physical as **** or try to, even though this guy probably knows as mich as us give me butch.

Mullen has a great pedigree.
He does more with less.
He's slugging it out with giants in the SEC West despite a talent disadvantage.
He's improved their recruiting classes since arriving.
He's a QB guru in every sense of the word.
He's coordinated 2 National Championship offenses.
He brought a dormant program to a #1 ranking last season.
Took a garbage program to a BCS Bowl.
Is currently ranked yet again this season.
Is young (43).
Runs a spread offense that still emphasizes power running principles.

I cant agree with this more.

He's Tom Herman with a better resume, more proven experience, proven recruiting ability, and accomplished more on a national scale.

If anyone prefers Herman over Mullen, they can't read

Having said all that - that list is BS

Proven recruiting ability? lol

Yes: Building a Better Bulldog: How Dan Mullen Got Mississippi State Into the Big Time «

And this:

The Recruiting Journey of the Dan Mullen Era - For Whom the Cowbell Tolls

And this:

Biggest Recruiting Steals by Mississippi State's Dan Mullen? Bulldog Sports Radio's Robbie Faulk and Joel Coleman Take a Look - For Whom the Cowbell Tolls

And this:

Recruiting stars not important to Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen - SEC Blog- ESPN

I could go on and on, but you already look bad enough.

And then you add the fact that he's doing more with less and still ranked in the Top 25, within the toughest conference in college football. Yeah, IF he's a legit candidate, you call him up and make him say no

Did you read these articles or did you just google "dan mullen recruiting". A lot of those were JUCOs and and looked like an Al Golden class a 3-5 4* and a bunch of 3*.

If he managed to get 3 to 5 four stars per year to MSU, then he is a great recruiter. That is a **** place to sell with limited local resources.

Advertisement
[MIAMI: The mystery at Miami is who is really in charge. Will athletic director Blake James be making the hire? How much input will come from the Board of Trustees? Or what about the search committee that the school announced it was using on Nov. 16, which includes "Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde?"

There's a sense that Miami has narrowed its field. It would be surprising if the next coach didn't come from a group that includes Butch Davis, Rob Chudzinski, Dan Mullen or Greg Schiano. There's a lot of sentiment for Davis, which is curious considering the NCAA issues in his program at North Carolina and the NCAA issues Miami is attempting to distance itself from during the Nevin Shapiro scandal. Chudzinski and Schiano both have ties to Miami's glory days, with Chudzinski having the advantage of deeper roots at The U and Schiano having much more head coaching experience. Could Miami afford Mullen, who makes more than $4 million a year at Mississippi State? It's reasonable to expect Mullen making average of more than $4.5 million the next five years in Starkville, factoring in bonuses and escalators. (And let's face it, it's cheaper to eat at Little Dooey in Starkville than Joe's Stone crab on South Beach). Can notoriously spendthrift Miami, which struggles to draw crowds, step up and pay that much? Mike Shula's name has also popped up, but he's thought to prefer the NFL, where he's quietly thriving with the Carolina Panthers as the offensive coordinator. (Former Hurricane Ken Dorsey is the quarterback coach there and could be an attractive coordinator candidate at Miami).

If Schiano is on that list it is an embarrassment.

I think that is who will be ultimately be tabbed as next UM HC.

I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I'd prefer Monkey Boy over Butch. He at least attempts to field open dynamic offenses, and he's a better defensive mind.

Seems to me that Monk is a little more progressive as a HC than Davis, and I think he'd be open to hiring a spread OC who will take best advantage of our local material. Whereas, Davis is going to do what he always does--football in a phone booth.

He does more with less.
Is young (43).

He's a very good coach.

I do have some concerns about his ability to adapt to QBs. He needs a Tebow or Prescott type and he won't have one here for at least a few years. Mullen was the most hated man in Gainesville until Tebow started taking key snaps away from Leak.

He does more with less.
Is young (43).

He would been hired away by now if he was any good

Advertisement
Lmao at this whole Miami ties thing.

Chud and Schiano would be failures, fold the program.

Butch would recruit well and underachieve.

Mullen is the only decent option listed.

I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I'd prefer Monkey Boy over Butch. He at least attempts to field open dynamic offenses, and he's a better defensive mind.

Seems to me that Monk is a little more progressive as a HC than Davis, and I think he'd be open to hiring a spread OC who will take best advantage of our local material. Whereas, Davis is going to do what he always does--football in a phone booth.

I never thought about that. You're right about Schiano at least trying to field an exciting offense. Think u may have just swung me. Schiano over Botch

Monkey went though several OCs at Rutgers, from Bill Cubit to VanSteeg and later McNulty.
But I really liked his last OC in Frank Cignetti Jr, who is currently with the Rams.
I think he is ultimately hired because he checks several boxes with the selection committee, including
the Butch Dravidians and the MarioNistas and in fact he may be able to bring Mario along as well.

Advertisement
That's the final four?!?!? What was the purpose of Korn Ferry then? Didn't need them to come up with that list? No disrespect to Butch or Mullen but please tell me there are more attractive names on the list of 40 than that. Dmoney saves us with good news please.

He does more with less.
Is young (43).

He had a lot of success as Urban's assistant, like others. Another one of those dude from that hotbed of football -- New Hampshire. We just got through with a coach who thought doing more with less was better than using the best to kick the crap out of the less. This is Miami. We do not have less, we have more. We do not have limited ability kids who need some sort of system to cut it. We have the best athletes in the country. There is a skill in using the best. Mullen, Chip and those boys have NOT demonstrated having that skill. Stop assuming they have what it takes to max out great athletes when they have never done it.

He does more with less.
Is young (43).

He's a very good coach.

I do have some concerns about his ability to adapt to QBs. He needs a Tebow or Prescott type and he won't have one here for at least a few years. Mullen was the most hated man in Gainesville until Tebow started taking key snaps away from Leak.

His results with and without Prescott at MSU have been pretty similar. He did pretty well there with some bad QBs before Prescott. There are some questions I have about him, but I like him overall.

Advertisement
He does more with less.
Is young (43).

He's a very good coach.

Thanks for mentioning that. So many of the popular choices need to change our DNA to something we have never been. Al tried that.

I never thought about that. You're right about Schiano at least trying to field an exciting offense. Think u may have just swung me. Schiano over Botch

When Monk first got the Buttgers gig he ran a crazy wide open offense. I remember a couple of his offenses at Buttgers being pretty high octane and aggressive.

Advertisement
Back