SI Believes UM Has Narrowed List to Four

For everyone doubting the reporter, he nailed Fuente to VT in this article and was the first to break that news today.

LSU Tigers, Georgia Bulldogs could shape 2015 college football coaching carousel

Virginia Tech: This is the easiest job to figure out. All signs point to Memphis coach Justin Fuente accepting the position sometime in the next few days. At this point, it would be shocking if he doesn't get it. Credit Tech AD Whit Bab**** for targeting a coach who should be a great fit, as Fuente's low-key and football-centric demeanor will be a good addition in Blacksburg.
And a lot of credit goes to Frank Beamer for not stretching out his final season. His early retirement announcement allowed Bab**** to get a jump on the field and position the school to get a strong coach. One final solid for Beamer in a career full of them at Virginia Tech.

Prediction: Justin Fuente

Also correctly predicted Illinois retaining their coach.
Pretty sure Fuente to VT leaked well over a week ago. He basically acknowledged as much in the article. I'm not putting much stock into it. Sounds like he is just throwing darts against a wall like the rest of us wrt the Miami job.

Advertisement
SI knows less than some of the more reliable posters on here. These national pubs have no sources down here, so they just invent stories. I will take 50 names down on scraps of paper, put them in a bowl, then draw 5 out and call them our leading candidates. I will be more accurate than these phony reporters.

And you know this how? I'm guessing you don't like their list.

Advertisement
For everyone doubting the reporter, he nailed Fuente to VT in this article and was the first to break that news today.

LSU Tigers, Georgia Bulldogs could shape 2015 college football coaching carousel

Virginia Tech: This is the easiest job to figure out. All signs point to Memphis coach Justin Fuente accepting the position sometime in the next few days. At this point, it would be shocking if he doesn't get it. Credit Tech AD Whit Bab**** for targeting a coach who should be a great fit, as Fuente's low-key and football-centric demeanor will be a good addition in Blacksburg.
And a lot of credit goes to Frank Beamer for not stretching out his final season. His early retirement announcement allowed Bab**** to get a jump on the field and position the school to get a strong coach. One final solid for Beamer in a career full of them at Virginia Tech.

Prediction: Justin Fuente

Count me out if that is our final list. School never learns.

Good GTFOH! Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

Mullen or Butch. **** the other two. I don't care how much the Piscataway reject learned the last two years.

Would think anyone with a pulse would want to leave Starkville. Do they still do the cowbells?
He is getting paid pretty well there with only the pressure of beating Ole Miss. With that said, yeah, you would think he would eventually want to coach somewhere where he can play for a championship.

Regarding MSU's chances of playing for a Nat. Championship, I think Jackie Sherrill won the SEC West about 20 years ago when Bama, Auburn, and LSU, were all having a down year. What are the odds of that happening again anytime soon?

So one new name and three ex-Miami men.

If that's our list then the consultancy agency are asleep at the wheel.

Advertisement
If that's our final list of candidates, then it absolutely better be Mullen. He's the only potential elite guy on that list. The rest are journeymen types and retreads.

So Butch is not even potentially elite now? He's the only guy on the list who actually has been elite.

Georgia Tech took Dan Mullen's best team and bent them over the dinner table.

Advertisement
If that's our final list of candidates, then it absolutely better be Mullen. He's the only potential elite guy on that list. The rest are journeymen types and retreads.

So Butch is not even potentially elite now? He's the only guy on the list who actually has been elite.

Gettwm d gottem

U not gonna win this argument no matter how much proof u have they wont hear u there always right

Butch has never been and never will be an elite HC. He is an elite evaluator of HS talent. He's a mediocre ultra-conservative HC who was, quite often, outmatched by coaches with far inferior talent. He's not going to magically turn elite at 65.

Do you remember all the catastrophes on the sidelines during his 14 years as a HC?

Advertisement
Dan Mullen would kill at Miami.

I still prefer Gundy but gtfoh thinkin Mullen is a bum for one game.

Butch had some bad ones too. And great ones. Mullen beat Saban w miss state garbage players.

That said, I'm rejoining hurricane club w either one of them.

And to finish, it sounds dumb to trash the handful of great candidates we have bc we prefer one guy over another.

Mullen or Butch would be home runs. Great at the least. How can you argue against them when fcking Cristobal has been mentioned?!?!

Dan Mullen would kill at Miami.

I still prefer Gundy but gtfoh thinkin Mullen is a bum for one game.

Butch had some bad ones too. And great ones. Mullen beat Saban w miss state garbage players.

That said, I'm rejoining hurricane club w either one of them.

Mullen is winless against Alabama.

One close game in 2014. Double digit losses every other year, and all but one of those by 20+ points.

94November 14, 2009Starkville, MSAlabama31–3
95November 13, 2010Tuscaloosa, ALAlabama30–10
96November 12, 2011Starkville, MSAlabama24–7
97October 27, 2012Tuscaloosa, ALAlabama38–7
98November 16, 2013Starkville, MSAlabama20–7
99November 15, 2014Tuscaloosa, ALAlabama25–20
100November 14, 2015Starkville, MSAlabama31–6

Mullen actually would do well here. He could probably put together a very good staff.

First he's tutored great dual threat college QB's at every stop. Josh Harris at Bowling Green, Alex Smith at Utah, Leak and Tebow at Florida also recruited Cam Newton to Florida originally, Prescott at MSU. That's a lot of success. It is a QB driven game, having them able to run is almost a necessity in today's game.

His current staff, namely co-ordinators, has a lot of recruiting ties to Florida besides Mullen himself.

His Co-OC/Passing game co-ordinator/ WR coach is Billy Gonzales who coached with him at Florida cor 4 years and also recruited the state when he was at LSU.

His other Co-OC/ Running game co-ordinator/OL coach OL is John Hevesy who coached OL and TE with him at Florida.

His DC/ LB coach is Manny Diaz who is from Miami and was a GA at FSU as well as DC at Texas.

His RB /Recruiting Co-ordinator is Greg Knox who was Auburn's WR/RC for a decade. They recruit the state of Florida a ton. He was responsible for central Florida and the Tampa area for Auburn.
An added bonus is his strength coach is Rick Court, a Mickey Marotti disciple. Marotti is Urban's strength guy from Florida and OSU. Court was Marotti's assistant at OSU for a few years.

Advertisement
Back