SI Believes UM Has Narrowed List to Four

This all coming from SI, the sports giant who recommended that the "U" tank its football program twice...No creditably to this crap...

Advertisement
[MIAMI: The mystery at Miami is who is really in charge. Will athletic director Blake James be making the hire? How much input will come from the Board of Trustees? Or what about the search committee that the school announced it was using on Nov. 16, which includes "Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde?"

There's a sense that Miami has narrowed its field. It would be surprising if the next coach didn't come from a group that includes Butch Davis, Rob Chudzinski, Dan Mullen or Greg Schiano. There's a lot of sentiment for Davis, which is curious considering the NCAA issues in his program at North Carolina and the NCAA issues Miami is attempting to distance itself from during the Nevin Shapiro scandal. Chudzinski and Schiano both have ties to Miami's glory days, with Chudzinski having the advantage of deeper roots at The U and Schiano having much more head coaching experience. Could Miami afford Mullen, who makes more than $4 million a year at Mississippi State? It's reasonable to expect Mullen making average of more than $4.5 million the next five years in Starkville, factoring in bonuses and escalators. (And let's face it, it's cheaper to eat at Little Dooey in Starkville than Joe's Stone crab on South Beach). Can notoriously spendthrift Miami, which struggles to draw crowds, step up and pay that much? Mike Shula's name has also popped up, but he's thought to prefer the NFL, where he's quietly thriving with the Carolina Panthers as the offensive coordinator. (Former Hurricane Ken Dorsey is the quarterback coach there and could be an attractive coordinator candidate at Miami).

Prediction: Butch Davis

I'm thrilled if it's Dan Mullen.
I'm happy if it's Butch Davis.
I shake my head if it's Schiano.
I take everything in my medicine cabinet if it's Dud.

If Schiano is on that list it is an embarrassment.

I think that is who will be ultimately be tabbed as next UM HC.

Well if that happens it will prove once and for all that the administration doesn't care at all about athletics. Schiano would be an extremely lazy hire and would beg the question....why the **** did they hire a search committee?

You guys really want Schiano another Bruce Springsteen lover who has a fetish for Joe Paterno?

Schiano’s daily commute—about 20 yards from the kitchen to his office—commences when the final breakfast cleanup ends at 7:39 a.m. He walks through his six-bedroom, waterfront home to a spacious office decorated with multiple coach of the year awards, a Bruce Springsteen poster from one of his Giants Stadium hitches, and his prized coaching keepsake—a framed tie that Sue Paterno gave him from Joe Paterno’s closet after the Penn State coach’s death in 2012. There are framed group-and-grin pictures with Bobby Bowden and Paterno, another of Meyer and Mack Brown from Nike coaching junkets. Schiano admits he overlooked a lot of things, life things, when he was sucked into the coaching vortex of 16-hour days. So this year he hired an accountant, visited with a financial advisor and got his health checked out.

You guys really want Schiano another Bruce Springsteen lover who has a fetish for Joe Paterno?

Schiano’s daily commute—about 20 yards from the kitchen to his office—commences when the final breakfast cleanup ends at 7:39 a.m. He walks through his six-bedroom, waterfront home to a spacious office decorated with multiple coach of the year awards, a Bruce Springsteen poster from one of his Giants Stadium hitches, and his prized coaching keepsake—a framed tie that Sue Paterno gave him from Joe Paterno’s closet after the Penn State coach’s death in 2012. There are framed group-and-grin pictures with Bobby Bowden and Paterno, another of Meyer and Mack Brown from Nike coaching junkets. Schiano admits he overlooked a lot of things, life things, when he was sucked into the coaching vortex of 16-hour days. So this year he hired an accountant, visited with a financial advisor and got his health checked out.

I don't think it is an issue of wanting as much as not being surprised if he is the one hired.
He's not on my personal short list, but I wouldn't think he would be a disastrous hire either.
At some point folks are going to have to terms with the fact that whomever is hired will
not be a slam-dunk (Saban, Harbaugh or Urban aint coming here).
They will have his pros and cons.

This article is a year old... IMO he'd make a good Defensive Coordinator but I'm not sure about him as the next Head Coach

I'm on the fence on schiano but I thought this was an interesting read. I was curious what he's been doing these last couple years and here's a small taste...

How ex-Tampa Bay Bucs coach Greg Schiano is preparing for his next job | The MMQB with Peter King

True but it's still relevant. Supposedly he's turned over a new leaf in his approach to football but that's unproven since he hasn't gotten a gif since tb. There was another article that mentioned he turned down UM back in 2010. Don't know how legit that is but if true, I can see the admin going back to him.

I think he's very high in the running - higher than Chud, imo.

Advertisement
I like the idea of hiring a guy like Mullen from the SEC. Maybe UM could poach some of the good talent from Mississippi and Louisiana with a guy like Mullen instead of letting them poach S.FL talent.

Only our fan base would be shaling there head at Nfl head coaches who ws also successful coordinators especially after our last 2 hires have been a bum from temple and. Coordintor that we hired from within

Advertisement
That's a very underwhelming list considering all the talk about breaking the bank for a football coach.

This article is a year old... IMO he'd make a good Defensive Coordinator but I'm not sure about him as the next Head Coach

I'm on the fence on schiano but I thought this was an interesting read. I was curious what he's been doing these last couple years and here's a small taste...

How ex-Tampa Bay Bucs coach Greg Schiano is preparing for his next job | The MMQB with Peter King

True but it's still relevant. Supposedly he's turned over a new leaf in his approach to football but that's unproven since he hasn't gotten a gif since tb. There was another article that mentioned he turned down UM back in 2010. Don't know how legit that is but if true, I can see the admin going back to him.

I think he's very high in the running - higher than Chud, imo.

NO TO MONKEY BOY!

Advertisement
Not likely that SI has too many friends at the U after calling for the program to be shut down twice. Appears to be all speculation based on other reports.

Would think anyone with a pulse would want to leave Starkville. Do they still do the cowbells?
He is getting paid pretty well there with only the pressure of beating Ole Miss. With that said, yeah, you would think he would eventually want to coach somewhere where he can play for a championship.

Advertisement
For everyone doubting the reporter, he nailed Fuente to VT in this article and was the first to break that news today.

LSU Tigers, Georgia Bulldogs could shape 2015 college football coaching carousel

Virginia Tech: This is the easiest job to figure out. All signs point to Memphis coach Justin Fuente accepting the position sometime in the next few days. At this point, it would be shocking if he doesn't get it. Credit Tech AD Whit Babcock for targeting a coach who should be a great fit, as Fuente's low-key and football-centric demeanor will be a good addition in Blacksburg.
And a lot of credit goes to Frank Beamer for not stretching out his final season. His early retirement announcement allowed Babcock to get a jump on the field and position the school to get a strong coach. One final solid for Beamer in a career full of them at Virginia Tech.

Prediction: Justin Fuente

Also correctly predicted Illinois retaining their coach.

For everyone doubting the reporter, he nailed Fuente to VT in this article and was the first to break that news today.

LSU Tigers, Georgia Bulldogs could shape 2015 college football coaching carousel

Virginia Tech: This is the easiest job to figure out. All signs point to Memphis coach Justin Fuente accepting the position sometime in the next few days. At this point, it would be shocking if he doesn't get it. Credit Tech AD Whit Bab**** for targeting a coach who should be a great fit, as Fuente's low-key and football-centric demeanor will be a good addition in Blacksburg.
And a lot of credit goes to Frank Beamer for not stretching out his final season. His early retirement announcement allowed Bab**** to get a jump on the field and position the school to get a strong coach. One final solid for Beamer in a career full of them at Virginia Tech.

Prediction: Justin Fuente

Count me out if that is our final list. School never learns.

Would think anyone with a pulse would want to leave Starkville. Do they still do the cowbells?
He is getting paid pretty well there with only the pressure of beating Ole Miss. With that said, yeah, you would think he would eventually want to coach somewhere where he can play for a championship.

Mullen is looking to leave, from what I seen online, taken with a grain of salt.

If that's our final list of candidates, then it absolutely better be Mullen. He's the only potential elite guy on that list. The rest are journeymen types and retreads.

Advertisement
Back