SI Believes UM Has Narrowed List to Four

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
[MIAMI: The mystery at Miami is who is really in charge. Will athletic director Blake James be making the hire? How much input will come from the Board of Trustees? Or what about the search committee that the school announced it was using on Nov. 16, which includes "Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde?"

There's a sense that Miami has narrowed its field. It would be surprising if the next coach didn't come from a group that includes Butch Davis, Rob Chudzinski, Dan Mullen or Greg Schiano. There's a lot of sentiment for Davis, which is curious considering the NCAA issues in his program at North Carolina and the NCAA issues Miami is attempting to distance itself from during the Nevin Shapiro scandal. Chudzinski and Schiano both have ties to Miami's glory days, with Chudzinski having the advantage of deeper roots at The U and Schiano having much more head coaching experience. Could Miami afford Mullen, who makes more than $4 million a year at Mississippi State? It's reasonable to expect Mullen making average of more than $4.5 million the next five years in Starkville, factoring in bonuses and escalators. (And let's face it, it's cheaper to eat at Little Dooey in Starkville than Joe's Stone crab on South Beach). Can notoriously spendthrift Miami, which struggles to draw crowds, step up and pay that much? Mike Shula's name has also popped up, but he's thought to prefer the NFL, where he's quietly thriving with the Carolina Panthers as the offensive coordinator. (Former Hurricane Ken Dorsey is the quarterback coach there and could be an attractive coordinator candidate at Miami).

Prediction: Butch Davis

I'm thrilled if it's Dan Mullen.
I'm happy if it's Butch Davis.
I shake my head if it's Schiano.
I take everything in my medicine cabinet if it's Dud.

Advertisement
Seeing Mullen near the top excites me. I think he'd be a good hire. Still want Butch tho.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mullen would be a tremendous hire. Kudos to Blake if that's who it is. Tho Mullen makes about 4 mill.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mullen has a great pedigree.
He does more with less.
He's slugging it out with giants in the SEC West despite a talent disadvantage.
He's improved their recruiting classes since arriving.
He's a QB guru in every sense of the word.
He's coordinated 2 National Championship offenses.
He brought a dormant program to a #1 ranking last season.
Took a garbage program to a BCS Bowl.
Is currently ranked yet again this season.
Is young (43).
Runs a spread offense that still emphasizes power running principles.

we needed outside help to get that list? There's nothing new in that "analysis" just rehashed info

Advertisement
Back