SI Believes UM Has Narrowed List to Four

Advertisement
Mullen would be a home run. He's taken MSU as far as they can go

I agree. I think he's tired of being in the SEC regarding the division that he's in. Every year he has to play Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss. All he has to worry about with us is playing FSU and occasionally Clemson. Every program has their ceiling and Mullen reached it at Miss. St. I would be ecstatic if he were the next coach. He's not someone I thought of before, but he has one of the more solid resumes without any huge flags like Strong, Butch, Miles, etc...

[MIAMI: The mystery at Miami is who is really in charge. Will athletic director Blake James be making the hire? How much input will come from the Board of Trustees? Or what about the search committee that the school announced it was using on Nov. 16, which includes "Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde?"

There's a sense that Miami has narrowed its field. It would be surprising if the next coach didn't come from a group that includes Butch Davis, Rob Chudzinski, Dan Mullen or Greg Schiano. There's a lot of sentiment for Davis, which is curious considering the NCAA issues in his program at North Carolina and the NCAA issues Miami is attempting to distance itself from during the Nevin Shapiro scandal. Chudzinski and Schiano both have ties to Miami's glory days, with Chudzinski having the advantage of deeper roots at The U and Schiano having much more head coaching experience. Could Miami afford Mullen, who makes more than $4 million a year at Mississippi State? It's reasonable to expect Mullen making average of more than $4.5 million the next five years in Starkville, factoring in bonuses and escalators. (And let's face it, it's cheaper to eat at Little Dooey in Starkville than Joe's Stone crab on South Beach). Can notoriously spendthrift Miami, which struggles to draw crowds, step up and pay that much? Mike Shula's name has also popped up, but he's thought to prefer the NFL, where he's quietly thriving with the Carolina Panthers as the offensive coordinator. (Former Hurricane Ken Dorsey is the quarterback coach there and could be an attractive coordinator candidate at Miami).

Prediction: Butch Davis

I'm thrilled if it's Dan Mullen.
I'm happy if it's Butch Davis.
I shake my head if it's Schiano.
I take everything in my medicine cabinet if it's Dud.

If Schiano is on that list it is an embarrassment.

Advertisement
If thats the final list, fold the program.

We need an advisory board and Korn Ferry to produce that list?????

[MIAMI: The mystery at Miami is who is really in charge. Will athletic director Blake James be making the hire? How much input will come from the Board of Trustees? Or what about the search committee that the school announced it was using on Nov. 16, which includes "Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde?"

There's a sense that Miami has narrowed its field. It would be surprising if the next coach didn't come from a group that includes Butch Davis, Rob Chudzinski, Dan Mullen or Greg Schiano. There's a lot of sentiment for Davis, which is curious considering the NCAA issues in his program at North Carolina and the NCAA issues Miami is attempting to distance itself from during the Nevin Shapiro scandal. Chudzinski and Schiano both have ties to Miami's glory days, with Chudzinski having the advantage of deeper roots at The U and Schiano having much more head coaching experience. Could Miami afford Mullen, who makes more than $4 million a year at Mississippi State? It's reasonable to expect Mullen making average of more than $4.5 million the next five years in Starkville, factoring in bonuses and escalators. (And let's face it, it's cheaper to eat at Little Dooey in Starkville than Joe's Stone crab on South Beach). Can notoriously spendthrift Miami, which struggles to draw crowds, step up and pay that much? Mike Shula's name has also popped up, but he's thought to prefer the NFL, where he's quietly thriving with the Carolina Panthers as the offensive coordinator. (Former Hurricane Ken Dorsey is the quarterback coach there and could be an attractive coordinator candidate at Miami).

Prediction: Butch Davis

I'm thrilled if it's Dan Mullen.
I'm happy if it's Butch Davis.
I shake my head if it's Schiano.
I take everything in my medicine cabinet if it's Dud.

If Schiano is on that list it is an embarrassment.

I think that is who will be ultimately be tabbed as next UM HC.

As long as there is no Strong or Cristobal on that list we should be good.
The fact of the matter is we can win with any of those 4.

So we hired Korn Ferry, put together a committee of ex players and alumni along with stating we're breaking the bank if necessary, AND THAT'S SUPPOSABLY THE LIST WE NARROWED DOWN TO?

lol

Amateur hour.

Hope it's not true. Schiano and Chud have no business on that list with the other two.

Advertisement
That Schiano article reminds me of why he can fvck off.

We offered the guy this job in 2006. And he smugly turned us down. When we were in need, this piece of trash said no. Now that he's unemployed, we should save him? Nahhhhh.

Advertisement
That Schiano article reminds me of why he can fvck off.

We offered the guy this job in 2006. And he smugly turned us down. When we were in need, this piece of trash said no. Now that he's unemployed, we should save him? Nahhhhh.

It was more than just turning down the job.
He agreed to what became a very public meeting with Paul Dee which was followed by him publicly
turning down the job.
I thought it was highly choreographed, designed to prop him and his program up when he could have
simply refused the interview with a simple "no-thanks" through back-channels.

I recall that when Meyer quit, err retired for health reasons, many UF faithful wanted Mullen as their next HC.

Advertisement
Hope to god that's more speculation couched as an insider scoop.

Mullen is a legit coach. I'm concerned with some things about him, but he's a million miles ahead of the rest of those guys. The rest are just typical UM nostalgia nonsense.

Schiano also turned down Michigan, so don't take a personally. He'd win here, but he'd be last on that list for me as well.

Mullen would be a home run. He's taken MSU as far as they can go

I'm not a fan of Dan Mullen's defense. They play a soft zone at MSST. I think they do it because they don't have the personnel to run man coverage against better teams.

Let me add, that if that is really the list it's Butch or Mullen. Chud and Schiano are not likely taking the Job if Butch is in serious consideration.

Advertisement
Back