SI Believes UM Has Narrowed List to Four

Advertisement
[MIAMI: The mystery at Miami is who is really in charge. SI doesn't even know who's in charge.
Will athletic director Blake James be making the hire? How much input will come from the Board of Trustees? Or what about the search committee that the school announced it was using on Nov. 16, which includes "Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde?"

There's a sense (sense? must be the ting/kle down their leg) that Miami has narrowed its field. It would be surprising (we're only guessing) if the next coach didn't come from a group that includes Butch Davis, Rob Chudzinski, Dan Mullen or Greg Schiano. There's a lot of sentiment for Davis, (this is our only basis for a conclusion) for which is curious considering the NCAA issues in his program at North Carolina and the NCAA issues Miami is attempting to distance itself from during the Nevin Shapiro scandal (we still don't have an original thought, so we'll keep rehashing). Chudzinski and Schiano both have ties to Miami's glory days, with Chudzinski having the advantage of deeper roots at The U and Schiano having much more head coaching experience (the usual suspects). Could Miami afford Mullen (we picked him out of thin air, to make it look like we know something), who makes more than $4 million a year at Mississippi State? It's reasonable to expect Mullen making average of more than $4.5 million the next five years in Starkville, factoring in bonuses and escalators. (And let's face it, it's cheaper to eat at Little Dooey in Starkville than Joe's Stone crab on South Beach). Can notoriously spendthrift Miami, which struggles to draw crowds, step up and pay that much? Mike Shula's name has also popped up, but he's thought to prefer the NFL, where he's quietly thriving with the Carolina Panthers as the offensive coordinator. (Former Hurricane Ken Dorsey is the quarterback coach there and could be an attractive coordinator candidate at Miami).

Prediction: Butch Davis

I'm thrilled if it's Dan Mullen.
I'm happy if it's Butch Davis.
I shake my head if it's Schiano.
I take everything in my medicine cabinet if it's Dud.

Comments in red.

While I never go all in on any SI post, I could see our final four looking a little like this. Many of the names being tossed around on this board are not realistic. There will be bidding wars that take some out of consideration for the U monetarily. And some that see other jobs more for them than Miami. I don't expect to see a Kelly, Gruden, or even Herman for that matter. My personal choice at this point in time for Miami and what they will be facing is Butch but I'm not totally against someone else stepping up to the plate either. I just think with Butch you have someone that knows what they're getting into with miami and he'll have the smallest learning curve.

Last edited:
Not surprised by that list, but doubt it is the list. I know Schiano is in the mix, and there have been rumors on Mullen. Chud is beloved in Hecht and Butch is a legend. I would have thought that Both Pagano and Kelly were in the mix. If those are the guys, we'll know this week.

Not surprised by that list, but doubt it is the list. I know Schiano is in the mix, and there have been rumors on Mullen. Chud is beloved in Hecht and Butch is a legend. I would have thought that Both Pagano and Kelly were in the mix. If those are the guys, we'll know this week.

Yes, If that is this list we could know any day now.

Advertisement
SI knows less than some of the more reliable posters on here. These national pubs have no sources down here, so they just invent stories. I will take 50 names down on scraps of paper, put them in a bowl, then draw 5 out and call them our leading candidates. I will be more accurate than these phony reporters.

I don't believe that writer knows what he/she is talking about.
And Mullen's people are probably floating his name for another SEC pay-raise.
Combine this with SI's penchant for passive-aggressive shots at UM, and I call
BS.
Wash.Rinse.Repeat

Advertisement
Mullen has a great pedigree.
He does more with less.
He's slugging it out with giants in the SEC West despite a talent disadvantage.
He's improved their recruiting classes since arriving.
He's a QB guru in every sense of the word.
He's coordinated 2 National Championship offenses.
He brought a dormant program to a #1 ranking last season.
Took a garbage program to a BCS Bowl.
Is currently ranked yet again this season.
Is young (43).
Runs a spread offense that still emphasizes power running principles.

I cant agree with this more.

He's Tom Herman with a better resume, more proven experience, proven recruiting ability, and accomplished more on a national scale.

If anyone prefers Herman over Mullen, they can't read

Having said all that - that list is BS

Advertisement
He does more with less.
Is young (43).

He's Tom Herman with a better resume, more proven experience, proven recruiting ability, and accomplished more on a national scale.

Proven recruiting ability? lol

Advertisement
He does more with less.
Is young (43).

Yes: Building a Better Bulldog: How Dan Mullen Got Mississippi State Into the Big Time «

And this:

The Recruiting Journey of the Dan Mullen Era - For Whom the Cowbell Tolls

And this:

Biggest Recruiting Steals by Mississippi State's Dan Mullen? Bulldog Sports Radio's Robbie Faulk and Joel Coleman Take a Look - For Whom the Cowbell Tolls

And this:

Recruiting stars not important to Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen - SEC Blog- ESPN

I could go on and on, but you already look bad enough.

And then you add the fact that he's doing more with less and still ranked in the Top 25, within the toughest conference in college football. Yeah, IF he's a legit candidate, you call him up and make him say no

He does more with less.
Is young (43).

Yes: Building a Better Bulldog: How Dan Mullen Got Mississippi State Into the Big Time «

And this:

The Recruiting Journey of the Dan Mullen Era - For Whom the Cowbell Tolls

And this:

Biggest Recruiting Steals by Mississippi State's Dan Mullen? Bulldog Sports Radio's Robbie Faulk and Joel Coleman Take a Look - For Whom the Cowbell Tolls

And this:

Recruiting stars not important to Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen - SEC Blog- ESPN

I could go on and on, but you already look bad enough.

And then you add the fact that he's doing more with less and still ranked in the Top 25, within the toughest conference in college football. Yeah, IF he's a legit candidate, you call him up and make him say no

Did you read these articles or did you just google "dan mullen recruiting". A lot of those were JUCOs and and looked like an Al Golden class a 3-5 4* and a bunch of 3*.

Advertisement
Back