Milk Carton — Jaleel Skinner

Advertisement
Skinner has been disappointing. If you are not an elite at blocking, at least catch the ball. Every ball to this kid is 50/50.
Some of the grace ya give players and then turn around and dont give other players is kinda weird.. He is in beginning of true soph year. Last year he was undersized TE who in a true program would have redshirted to get him ready from S&C pov to get him game ready.. He shouldnt have seen the field last year and we are one game into his soph year where he should start to show something..

Now him not playing in game #1 is concerning but if its offseason discipline then not really an issue, it happens.. Lets see how things play out this year before we start with this

TEs must be able to block in this run-first offense. It's probably as simple as that.
We got extra lineman, we are THIS close to achieving the dream of 10 olineman and direct snap to RB offense Mario has been cooking up..

wayward pines GIF

If you’re a TE for this team & you don’t Block, you don’t play.

Mario sees TE’s an extension of the OL & Blocking is their #1 priority.

Until this kid adds a ton of weight/strength & learns to Block, he’s probably not gonna be on the field too often.
If this is accuratley depicting MC and the TE's, well that's shortsided thinking. You have a player in Skinner that brings other skillsets, if blocking isn't one of them, you put him in positions that are his strength to help the team. This goes for any player at any position.

Advertisement
That would be extremely foolish not to utilize his skill set. He's a pass catcher with elite traits.
Mario single handedly keyed on this guy in recruiting and took him at the last minute

He wasn’t a Manny recruit that Mario was saddled with. Pretty sure he knows he’s a weapon

This thread is a lot of making something out of nothing. Not to mention the kid does not have reliable hands to this point (yet)

But zero snaps? Not even some live reps to give the kid a game experience? Not even some live reps for smokescreen? I really find it hard to believe that he’s fully healthy, he’s not under any discipline restrictions, and he has a role that we have defined for him, but he’s cool with a plan of him watching the entire game like you and I did.

Either way, what’s done is done. But we need this kid this year. If you’re right, we’ll see a lot of him on Saturday.
To clarify I'm not saying 100% that's what did happen. Simply giving another view of what could've happened. IF that is what happened I wouldn't agree with doing that. I'd agree with you. He needs some snaps to get in his groove. What I can say with certainty is we have a vision for him this season as a multi faceted weapon outside of simply tight end. That kid can be a BIG difference maker like we haven't had with that skill set since kdub once he fills out. He's not physical like kdub was or have that nasty streak which I like out of tight ends. But his skill set as an offensive player is off the chart.

Until this kid adds a ton of weight/strength & learns to Block, he’s probably not gonna be on the field too often.
Can he play WR?

Advertisement
If this is accuratley depicting MC and the TE's, well that's shortsided thinking. You have a player in Skinner that brings other skillsets, if blocking isn't one of them, you put him in positions that are his strength to help the team. This goes for any player at any position.
He's gonna be on the field plenty

But zero snaps? Not even some live reps to give the kid a game experience? Not even some live reps for smokescreen? I really find it hard to believe that he’s fully healthy, he’s not under any discipline restrictions, and he has a role that we have defined for him, but he’s cool with a plan of him watching the entire game like you and I did.

Either way, what’s done is done. But we need this kid this year. If you’re right, we’ll see a lot of him on Saturday.
Spot on. It’s always worth bringing up a receiving threat in this offense when we are currently still looking for ones to emerge

Wonder what would have happened if Ohio had chosen to load up close to the LOS and force us to beat them downfield? Dunno. If Cam and the OL could just dominate and us not show anything then ok…but to your POV I don’t want to just say “oh everything is part of the master plan you’ll see!”

Some of the grace ya give players and then turn around and dont give other players is kinda weird.. He is in beginning of true soph year. Last year he was undersized TE who in a true program would have redshirted to get him ready from S&C pov to get him game ready.. He shouldnt have seen the field last year and we are one game into his soph year where he should start to show something..

Now him not playing in game #1 is concerning but if its offseason discipline then not really an issue, it happens.. Lets see how things play out this year before we start with this
100%

Mallory had horrible drop issues in the beginning and really became a reliable threat before he left here. Not worried about Skinner long term he was one of Mario’s first takes when he got here. I’m sure he envisions him as a big part of the team

Advertisement
To clarify I'm not saying 100% that's what did happen. Simply giving another view of what could've happened. IF that is what happened I wouldn't agree with doing that. I'd agree with you. He needs some snaps to get in his groove. What I can say with certainty is we have a vision for him this season as a multi faceted weapon outside of simply tight end. That kid can be a BIG difference maker like we haven't had with that skill set since kdub once he fills out. He's not physical like kdub was or have that nasty streak which I like out of tight ends. But his skill set as an offensive player is off the chart.

More like Olsen than KW. But not really like either, he's essentially a very big WR, and that's enough of a mismatch that it's worth having him on the field even without the inline blocking... What I hope to see is that he grows into is a Jimmy Graham type, but for that he needs to get a lot nastier.

Gotcha. And couldn’t agree more. That’s really the whole reason I made the post. If I thought the kid was JAG, I wouldn’t even have noticed he wasn’t playing. But he really flashed last year, IMO. You don’t see kids that skinny who can break tackles like he did without a very rare athletic ability. That is 100% a skill. The kids didn’t just accidentally not tackle him. He’s slippery and quicker than you think and I really feel with 15-20 pounds he can be an ELITE weapon. So that’s why I’m so concerned about him not being on the field. We need this kid badly to take what we saw last year and build on it.

Advertisement
He’s not a te, just watch how he was used last year. It was mostly all flexed out . He’s only a te in name. It’s time to move on from that experiment unless he redshirts and I don’t see that.

Btw this is last season.

Attachments

• 3D8D3D87-ED9F-482C-8854-9F6F72710558.png
    3D8D3D87-ED9F-482C-8854-9F6F72710558.png
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 32C012FA-B5A3-4EA2-BBAA-DAE088351E63.png
    32C012FA-B5A3-4EA2-BBAA-DAE088351E63.png
    928.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

This is extremely rare but I disagree. Mario recruited him knowing exactly what kind of player he was. He's never going to be a blocking machine. He was recruited for his ability to be a mismatch in the passing game. I believe he was suspended but that's just speculation on my part. He has also had some trouble holding on to the ball in camp so maybe Mario is trying to light a fire.

He’s not a te, just watch how he was used last year. It was mostly all flexed out . He’s only a te in name. It’s time to move on from that experiment unless he redshirts and I don’t see that.

Btw this is last season.

What you and @Memnon said are both true.

So why didn’t he play at all at any position last week? It’s not like they thought they were recruiting Cam McCormick when they flipped him. The whole roster got into the game in a rout, why didn’t he?

Advertisement
Back