Milk Carton — Jaleel Skinner

@JustAFanHTX can probably give more insight on TE usage in this offense but I will say I looked up the 2022 stats for Houston, top 4 in receptions and yards all WR, top TE had 23 catches for 250, RB had 2 less catches but 10 more yards so you appear to be correct that the TE is not overly involved. Next TE only caught 4 passes so lots of WR and RB on the list. I am hoping with Arroyo being the weapon he is he can start to get burn, along with Skinner who I still think can be a redzone threat.

One other tid bit I got from looking at Houston's stat line, Bubba Baxa was still kicked FG for them last year. 17/18 on XP, 9/14 on FG, 0-4 from 40 yards plus.
This offense is 100% tight end friendly and They will get a lot of action when they actually get on the field. I’m thinking that’ll pay off down the road since there’s no film on them yet. Hopefully everyone is healthy for our next big time matchup. I know from talking to coach he hasn’t gotten the opportunity to use one of his personal favorite sets with arroyo as a h back and Riley williams/skinner flexed

Last edited:
Advertisement
So on that note, does this offense just not pass to TE's much? or are we just holding TE plays out until Arroyo is 100%?
Depends on which version of Dawson's Offense we're incorporating.

If we're going by the Houston standard, last year the TE caught 23 passes in that system, but 4 WR's also had 38+ catches & the majority of the marketshare targets.

I'm not saying that the TE's will never get the ball in this Offense, but their #1 priority will always be Blocking first.

This offense is 100% tight end friendly and They will get a lot of action when they actually get on the field. I’m thinking that’ll pay off down the road since there’s no film on them yet. Hopefully everyone is healthy for our next big time matchup.
That was kinda my hope. We have serious weapons at TE, maybe UH did not have the horses in the stable. Seems like our biggest weapon (arroyo) is getting back to health slowly, and the backup (skinner) is in the doghouse. No need to run a TE wheel or something crazy and show that play if Cam is the one catching it. Do just enough to keep them honest which is what happened. Next two games shouldnt need to show much at all, then in ACC play we can show some wrinkles without emptying the clip during A&M. I felt both Enos (against UF) and Gattis (against AM) shot their wad and we never saw another wrinkle as the season progressed.

Here we are with an offense humming and two very talented pass catchers have not had a snap yet. Reminds me of how seemingly every bad game Manny had on D he mentioned the other team doing stuff not on tape. Hope we flip the script there and it can provide a spark against Clemson, UNC, FSU etc. when needed

That was kinda my hope. We have serious weapons at TE, maybe UH did not have the horses in the stable. Seems like our biggest weapon (arroyo) is getting back to health slowly, and the backup (skinner) is in the doghouse. No need to run a TE wheel or something crazy and show that play if Cam is the one catching it. Do just enough to keep them honest which is what happened. Next two games shouldnt need to show much at all, then in ACC play we can show some wrinkles without emptying the clip during A&M. I felt both Enos (against UF) and Gattis (against AM) shot their wad and we never saw another wrinkle as the season progressed.

Here we are with an offense humming and two very talented pass catchers have not had a snap yet. Reminds me of how seemingly every bad game Manny had on D he mentioned the other team doing stuff not on tape. Hope we flip the script there and it can provide a spark against Clemson, UNC, FSU etc. when needed
We had a pretty reliable guy at UH in a cam McCormick like mold that got a lot of run but we could never really recruit anybody with the skill set of our current TE room. Dawson has plans for those guys trust me. It was one of his favorite parts of the roster

We had a pretty reliable guy at UH in a cam McCormick like mold that got a lot of run but we could never really recruit anybody with the skill set of our current TE room. Dawson has plans for those guys trust me. It was one of his favorite parts of the roster
I figured as much. Also a big difference when you have a Cam type guy where you want to reward him or he can get lost in the shuffle/let the D know he can catch something here or there so account for him/catch someone off guard and slip out, but not like a top TE you draw plays up for which IMO Arroyo and Skinner have. I also like thinking it could be a "if it aint broke dont fix it" we didnt throw a single deep route against Ohio and AM couldnt keep up with our WR. Why go to the TE when your outside guys are winning consistently could have been the mindset which I am all for. Find a weakness and keep pushing until they force you to change.

Advertisement
This offense is 100% tight end friendly and They will get a lot of action when they actually get on the field. I’m thinking that’ll pay off down the road since there’s no film on them yet. Hopefully everyone is healthy for our next big time matchup. I know from talking to coach he hasn’t gotten the opportunity to use one of his personal favorite sets with arroyo as a h back and Riley williams/skinner flexed

100% agree. I remember when Richt didn't use Njoku the first several games but he was critical in our late run to get to 8-4 in 2016. It's coming, just not these next few games. UNC won't know what hit them.

Advertisement
Back