Milk Carton — Jaleel Skinner

Advertisement
It has to be the Doghouse because I’ve heard nothing of an injury.

Have you heard if it's on field (drops, lack of blocking) or off field (immaturity)?

If it's just the he can't block inline, they should just flex him out and make him like all these jumbo WR we're seeing. Although drops would still be an issue if he's having trouble catching.

Have you heard if it's on field (drops, lack of blocking) or off field (immaturity)?

If it's just the he can't block inline, they should just flex him out and make him like all these jumbo WR we're seeing. Although drops would still be an issue if he's having trouble catching.
Does anyone have the snap counts for the game?

Surprised we did not see him or Arroyo. Perhaps just letting Arroyo heal as I did not see him on the sideline (could have missed him) or maybe he was and would come in if needed. But realistically getting through that game gives him 3 more weeks to heal but I would prefer he is in bubble wrap for Bethune, is on a pitch count for Temple just to get some thuds in, bye week, then ready for ACC.

Skinner has to be doghouse at this point. He seems engaged on the sideline, I typically see him in the offensive huddle during timeouts but have not seen him play anything meaningful yet. I get drops/lack of blocking are a bad thing but 1. lets not have another failed mallory experiment where we constantly ask him to block. He is basically a big WR and athletic, figure out a way to use him and 2. doubt it could be drops. Jacolby dropped a TD and muffed a punt yet was right back in there. Now maybe he catches EVERYTHING in practice so Mario gives him a mulligan (x2) but I think a few random drops wouldnt keep him off the field. Arroyo is still recovering, Riley is a TF, and Cam might be good for 12 catches a year and is meant to block. Its not like we have people stepping up in his place so it is surprising.

Does anyone have the snap counts for the game?

Surprised we did not see him or Arroyo. Perhaps just letting Arroyo heal as I did not see him on the sideline (could have missed him) or maybe he was and would come in if needed. But realistically getting through that game gives him 3 more weeks to heal but I would prefer he is in bubble wrap for Bethune, is on a pitch count for Temple just to get some thuds in, bye week, then ready for ACC.

Skinner has to be doghouse at this point. He seems engaged on the sideline, I typically see him in the offensive huddle during timeouts but have not seen him play anything meaningful yet. I get drops/lack of blocking are a bad thing but 1. lets not have another failed mallory experiment where we constantly ask him to block. He is basically a big WR and athletic, figure out a way to use him and 2. doubt it could be drops. Jacolby dropped a TD and muffed a punt yet was right back in there. Now maybe he catches EVERYTHING in practice so Mario gives him a mulligan (x2) but I think a few random drops wouldnt keep him off the field. Arroyo is still recovering, Riley is a TF, and Cam might be good for 12 catches a year and is meant to block. Its not like we have people stepping up in his place so it is surprising.
Arroyo wasn't dressed due to injury. Hamstring injuries are tricky and miami is being cautious.

Advertisement
They may be wanting to give Skinner a RS like he should've gotten last season.

Jacurri Brown plan for 2023.

Those 2 are freakish body types, pause, that needed lots of nutrition and S&C and development.

Don't overthink it, just use common sense...

Only 2 TE's have played this season & between them they have 2 catches for 38yds combined. They play plenty of snaps but have only gotten 2 targets, so what are they doing when they're in the game?

No more TE U doing that. ****, why use them in receiving if it's working doing everything else. Perhaps some new wrinkles down the road.

Only 2 TE's have played this season & between them they have 2 catches for 38yds combined. They play plenty of snaps but have only gotten 2 targets, so what are they doing when they're in the game?
So on that note, does this offense just not pass to TE's much? or are we just holding TE plays out until Arroyo is 100%?

Advertisement

I know you keep hammering this, and you're not wrong in the thinking that blocking comes first, but I don't care, something is up with Skinner. He's ****ed somebody off, he's hurt, something. Mario knew he wasn't going to turn him into the next Jason Fox when he recruited him. There's no reason for him to get ZERO snaps in 2 games. One of the catches you're referencing was a 20+ yarder to McCormick, where he was lined up in the slot in a 2x2 formation. Skinner can do that.

So if he was playing infrequently, I'd completely buy what you're selling. But literally not a single snap? Not even in a blowout last week? Something is up. Maybe it does relate to his blocking in the sense he's not even got the right attitude towards it, he's not trying to improve, etc. That could be. But there is no way that the kid is giving 100% in practice, trying to improve as a blocker, and he's not hurt, not in the doghouse, his blocking is just so bad that the staff hasn't played him one single snap in 2 games, one of which was a blowout that BOTH the true freshmen TEs played in. There's something more here.

Does anyone know if Mario is the type of coach where “if you can’t block or are an unwilling (effort) blocker” then you don’t get to reap the benefits of passing catching? Positives and negatives to that train of thought but if he does subscribe to that ideology then that would explain it some.

It’s no different than RBs not getting burn if they can’t pass pro. I definitely remember Mario mentioning the importance of receivers blocking when they don’t have the ball.

I'd redshirt him. Roll with Cam and Riley this year. Who knows with Arroyo he's been injury prone during his time here.

I do agree with you. However, I do think Dawson has the TE-unleahsed receiving plays on hold and I hope he goes full blast vs NC, FSU.

.... perhaps waiting on Arroyo to get 100%

Old dude - blocker
Riley - freshman / still needs muscle/weight
Skinner - needs weight to block & improve hands

Advertisement
The thing is when people don't let an injury heal 100% than what happens more often than not is they'll tear the scar tissue in itself. Problem with that is it then prevents the initial injury from healing. Nephew for Instance had the quad issue with us he needed surgery on. The doctor didn't want him putting an ounce of weight on that leg for at minimum two weeks to a month. Well Vinny had him start rehab the very next day. Long and the short of it he re tore that scar tissue multiple times. Never knew why his quad was so sensitive the whole time he was in Illinois cause no one from training staff with us or them ever diagnosed the issue. The very first week he was at Cal he had it diagnosed that his scar tissue from the previous surgery created a build up over and over that prevented the muscle from healing. Got that cleaned up and has been feeling amazing since. An effective training staff makes ALL of the difference.
Hasn't gotten the rock much so far at Cal. Hopefully that changes. Cheering for the young man.

Advertisement
I do agree with you. However, I do think Dawson has the TE-unleahsed receiving plays on hold and I hope he goes full blast vs NC, FSU.

.... perhaps waiting on Arroyo to get 100%

Old dude - blocker
Riley - freshman / still needs muscle/weight
Skinner - needs weight to block & improve hands
this is the playbook. we dont pass to TEs much in this offense vs a gattis based offense or even a traditional mario offense.

this is the playbook. we dont pass to TEs much in this offense vs a gattis based offense or even a traditional mario offense.
@JustAFanHTX can probably give more insight on TE usage in this offense but I will say I looked up the 2022 stats for Houston, top 4 in receptions and yards all WR, top TE had 23 catches for 250, RB had 2 less catches but 10 more yards so you appear to be correct that the TE is not overly involved. Next TE only caught 4 passes so lots of WR and RB on the list. I am hoping with Arroyo being the weapon he is he can start to get burn, along with Skinner who I still think can be a redzone threat.

One other tid bit I got from looking at Houston's stat line, Bubba Baxa was still kicked FG for them last year. 17/18 on XP, 9/14 on FG, 0-4 from 40 yards plus.

@JustAFanHTX can probably give more insight on TE usage in this offense but I will say I looked up the 2022 stats for Houston, top 4 in receptions and yards all WR, top TE had 23 catches for 250, RB had 2 less catches but 10 more yards so you appear to be correct that the TE is not overly involved. Next TE only caught 4 passes so lots of WR and RB on the list. I am hoping with Arroyo being the weapon he is he can start to get burn, along with Skinner who I still think can be a redzone threat.

One other tid bit I got from looking at Houston's stat line, Bubba Baxa was still kicked FG for them last year. 17/18 on XP, 9/14 on FG, 0-4 from 40 yards plus.

That's only cause Kosi was busy in Boca.

Use skinner as a split hybrid wr the way nfl uses tes. He’s athletic enough too

Advertisement
Back