I owe an apology to some of yall

Here's a stat for you. Want to know who we beat in our last 18 regional and Super Regional wins?

Seeds: 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 3, 4, 4, 3, 3, 4, 4

That's not a joke. We have not had a win against a #1 or #2 seed since 2014 against Texas Tech.
Biggest mic drop you can have to describe the state of the program

Advertisement
The team is awful. Coaches don’t play the game, but they recruit and they are responsible for getting the guys ready mentally and physically for game days. We don’t beat decent teams. All year we have beaten sub par teams.

The team is awful. Coaches don’t play the game, but they recruit and they are responsible for getting the guys ready mentally and physically for game days. We don’t beat decent teams. All year we have beaten sub par teams.

They are responsible for refining fundamentals ( which should have been taught since LL) such as bunting,hitting cutoff men,running bases,etc.all of which Miami has sucked at forever…

I can’t say what if anything this team does well consistently. Especially against decent teams.

Advertisement
LOL

Dimare was on the failed Morris staff. Was lead recruiter/recruiting coordinator, OF coach, and hitting coordinator for the 2 teams that didn’t make post season.

He has stunk for a very long time just like JD has. The program needs a total reset

DiMare wasn't the HC so you can't put that on him. Morris was Retired on Active Duty for 2 years. That set the team way back. Doesn't matter how much talent a team has, if the coach has basically quit on the team, it's all over. What was DiMare supposed to do - stage a coup? DiMare should be judged by the same standard as Cristobal. Wins and losses don't matter - what is important is where the recruiting class is ranked.

DiMare wasn't the HC so you can't put that on him. Morris was Retired on Active Duty for 2 years. That set the team way back. Doesn't matter how much talent a team has, if the coach has basically quit on the team, it's all over. What was DiMare supposed to do - stage a coup? DiMare should be judged by the same standard as Cristobal. Wins and losses don't matter - what is important is where the recruiting class is ranked.
I’m not a Mario fan. I think he stinks to be brutally honest. But comparing what he walked into compared to Gino is totally false. Compare Gino to manny. Both were hired from a failed regime. Recruited every player on each of the rosters they inherited (manny only defensively but point still stands).

Gino Dimare has been a total failure since returning to miami after his hiatus he took away from baseball. You never hire from failed regimes.

If the move to him was made in 08 it might have Made sense but we’ve been in total free fall mode since getting embarrassed in Omaha in 08 when expectations were sky high

Last edited:
If it’s me in charge, I’m making the change. Gino, despite individual decisions that drive me nuts, has done a decent enough job as a regular season coach. He can clearly finish high up in the league standings and get you in position to host regionals. There are places where that’s good enough. This shouldn’t be one of them. We’ve come into regionals hot, cold, and middling. We’ve hosted, faced Top 8 seeds on the road, and had the host flame out and clear our path. We’ve done it with the Toral/Del group and we’ve done it with the CJ/Yoyo group. Something is missing.

Realistically, I know the big change isn’t happening, so it’s time to at least see if Gino can do it with pitching and hitting coaches from outside the program.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If it’s me in charge, I’m making the change. Gino, despite individual decisions that drive me nuts, has done a decent enough job as a regular season coach. He can clearly finish high up in the league standings and get you in position to host regionals. There are places where that’s good enough. This shouldn’t be one of them. We’ve coming into regionals hot, cold, and middling. We’ve hosted, faced Top 8 seeds on the road, and had the host flame out and clear our path. We’ve done it with the Toral/Del group and we’ve done it with the CJ/Yoyo group. Something is missing.

Realistically, I know the big change isn’t happening, so it’s time to at least see if Gino can do it with pitching and hitting coaches from outside the program.
This may be an unpopular opinion, but this season was a mirage. The ACC was down this year. This team lost to every good team they played. Duke being the only outlier. If they beat Coastal tomorrow you can say going 3-1 against them looks good, if not, IMO you can’t. Don’t care about Ind St that was one midweek game. I can’t find one defining moment that put this season on the map as a good one. Is Pitt the best road series this team won? Just seems like a bunch of 2-1 series wins against other decent teams. When it mattered this is what happened:

1-2 against UF
1-3 against Wake
0-3 against UVA
0-2 against Texas

Being brutally honest that's a real tough talk. His father is widely loved among athletes.
That’s understandable but at least maybe the Mark Richt talk where he needs to get rid of “his guys” on the staff, do a nationwide search for assistant coaches that cover up his faults. For all of his weaknesses we point out on here he does some things well.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but this season was a mirage. The ACC was down this year. This team lost to every good team they played. Duke being the only outlier. If they beat Coastal tomorrow you can say going 3-1 against them looks good, if not, IMO you can’t. Don’t care about Ind St that was one midweek game. I can’t find one defining moment that put this season on the map as a good one. Is Pitt the best road series this team won? Just seems like a bunch of 2-1 series wins against other decent teams. When it mattered this is what happened:

1-2 against UF
1-3 against Wake
0-3 against UVA
0-2 against Texas
Was a bit of a mirage but this team could hit with the best in this country. DiMare throws a bullpen game in game 1 without using his best arms and this regional could have been different because we were able to put up 6 against Texas. But we won’t know.

Advertisement
Mediocrity used to not be the standard for the program - now it is - that's the parallel with the football program. It's really that simple. This baseball program used to be ****ed off for excellence, Omaha was THE goal every year, 2nd place trophies propping open the bathroom door, etc. If you're not there in Omaha, you don't have a shot at winning the title. While they always say Omaha's the goal, we aren't developing guys well enough nor building the roster to be good enough to go to Omaha. Guys like Yoyo or Walters are gonna develop and go pro, they are who they are. Where's the other future high draft picks that we're developing on this current roster besides those guys? They don't exist. Maybe Kayfus/Cyr? But that's just 2 more guys. You need a roster full of those kinds of talent if you want to hit that standard we're looking for.

But it's not about having 2-3 good players. Miami rosters used to be lousy with talent - up and down the roster. 1 thru 9 would strike fear into an opposing pitcher. Now, if you can get thru our 1-4 or 5, the bottom of the order can't do it. Gino couldn't figure out how to get any production from the bottom of the lineup, and it bit us in the ***.

Gino also dropped the ball on not getting another quality starting pitcher or two out of the Portal this offseason. We needed at least 1 more solid guy. Even if that pitcher was a mid-week guy behind Ziehl/Ligon/Rosario, we didn't have another guy to step up when Ligon got injured, and he wasn't ready when he came back Saturday night against Texas...and it cost us dearly.

Besides...our teams play too sterile and passive under both Morris and Dimare. They always pitch/hit/field in big spots like they're freaking scared to death of making a mistake. That's coaching and instilling a mentality. It happens year after freaking year when we play a team who is at the top of their game and isn't making mistakes. This team probably had more fire than most because Yoyo is a pretty firey personality and he was the leader. But *Gino* doesn't lead that way. It's obvious w/how his teams normally just go into a shell and don't step up in big moments.

One thing I keep going back to w/the homers on this board...we have decent teams. We don't have enough for Omaha, but that's another debate. Everyone likes to be rah-rah over stuff like the milkshakes, Coach Fraser...even "Mark Light Magic".

Wouldn't it be nice to have a good enough team where we aren't needing 2 straight wins at home in a regional to where we aren't counting on "Mark Light Magic" to ******* bail us out every time, and then be disappointed when it doesn't?

I've said it on this board and on Twitter for several years now....he is our version of Meat Martin. It's essentially the same exact situation. The job was given to somebody who didn't deserve it because of what daddy did and who daddy was.

Now, in my line of work, I learn from the past, but I do not focus on it. What happened yesterday and what happened over the past 10 years is essentially irrelevant. You can't change it. But you can change tomorrow.

Back to my FSU thoughts.....firing Meat was a VERY difficult decision. There is simply nobody, and I mean nobody, more beloved in the FSU athletic department than 11 was. And that includes Bobby Bowden. So, firing his son was a really, REALLY tricky situation. Especially after just a few years, the first of those being 2020 where the season was cancelled essentially before it started. But guess what? They did it because they knew homeboy was in over his head, didn't deserve the job in the first place, and the experiment failed. So they went and hired a proven coach with a track record of winning teams. Someone who deserved the job, and didn't just get it because of their daddy.

Miami has to make the same decision. Simply HAS TO. It won't be easy, Gino's daddy's name is everywhere around campus, we all know that. What Paul did for the kids here cannot be understated, as Dee mentioned. But it's the right, and only, move to make at this point. We cannot go back and "unhire" him when 3 retired. But we can shoot his *** into the sun right now and get the program moving in the right direction again. How much more evidence do you need that this guy cannot get it done? Again, FSU fired Meat after *THREE* seasons, 1 of which wasn't even really a season. Gino has been the Head Coach here for 5 years, has never won the conference, has never won the division, and has never made it out of Regionals.

It's time.

Gino isn’t going to be fired this year sadly, but this alternative has to come to fruition if so.

It’s time to absolutely fire JD. Should have happened last year. Our pitching debacle is a large reason why we’re in this mess. There’s no reason the University of Miami should have such a bad selection of arms. To not have at minimum two quality starting arms (much less one ace to rely on) is a disaster. It’s embarrassing.

Scapegoat him or clean house all together. Either way, JD is washed. It’s time.

Advertisement
Gino isn’t going to be fired this year sadly, but this alternative has to come to fruition if so.

It’s time to absolutely fire JD. Should have happened last year. Our pitching debacle is a large reason why we’re in this mess. There’s no reason the University of Miami should have such a bad selection of arms. To not have at minimum two quality starting arms (much less one ace to rely on) is a disaster. It’s embarrassing.

Scapegoat him or clean house all together. Either way, JD is washed. It’s time.
Hopefully everyone wakes up regarding where this program really is. I’m on board with moving on from JD and I would say the same about Lopez. We need somebody to overhaul this hitting approach. We’ve been heavily reliant on home runs for way too long.

Look at this weekend. In 18 offensive innings, we scored 3 times. All via home runs. It’s not even surprising. It’s time for new blood if Gino is going to have any shot at elevating the program.

Was a bit of a mirage but this team could hit with the best in this country. DiMare throws a bullpen game in game 1 without using his best arms and this regional could have been different because we were able to put up 6 against Texas. But we won’t know.
But he didn’t. And the team got bounced from its own regional, so we do know.

Top 50 consensus offense is great but what did it lead to? Nothing. They choked in the postseason bc relying on three run home runs isn’t a recipe for success when you’re facing good pitching and the games get tight. Not to mention the lack of pitching is also on the Gino and JD. They are the reason this team couldn’t field a staff that could last 4 games in a week against good opponents and survive.

Didn't pay much attention this year because I figured it was going to be another regional exit. This program needs some new blood.

Feel bad for guys like Yoyo and Walters who have been the guys for the last few years and couldn't get past regionals.

Advertisement
Back