I owe an apology to some of yall

Stop hiring coaches who have no track record of success and are on the job training. We’ve been through this with football. Promoting from within, etc. It doesn’t work. Started with Jim bringing JD straight out of the minor leagues. We were the best program in the country at that time. Why are we hiring a pitching coach with no experience or track record of evaluating, recruiting, and developing a pitching staff? That should have been vetoed at the time.

It’s just continued. Joe Mercadante? Norberto Lopez? Why are these guys coaching critical roles at Miami? It’s ridiculous. Gino gets promoted after we missed the tournament in 17/18 after 44 years?

The results are not surprising. What is anybody willing to do about it is the question.

Advertisement
This is as shocked as I’ve been since we blew that Gainesville regional against USF and South Bama. Sounds crazy now, but it’s not.

Texas isn’t that good. It was right there for the taking. You throw Gage on Saturday and you’re 2-0. It’s that simple. Regional over. You win. Nobody in this regional had the pitching to win from the losers bracket. It’s why I was very vocal about this being the best draw we could’ve hoped for outside of getting UCONN as the #2.

I say I’m not shocked b/c we won a lot of games this season in miraculous fashion. Texas actually caught fire to end the season, not as hot as Clemson, but hot nonetheless.

I say I’m not shocked b/c we won a lot of games this season in miraculous fashion. Texas actually caught fire to end the season, not as hot as Clemson, but hot nonetheless.
Agree with you that they got hot, but they were awful last week. And tbh this weekend they played closer to what their season showed them to be, than the juggernaut they were 3 weeks ago. 4 runs against Ligon and our bullpen isn’t exactly lighting it up. And 10 runs against the what we had left in game 4, is par for the course.

They won games with pitching. That’s how they won games 1 and 2. That’s been their deal all season.

Advertisement
Closer to the Cristobal scenario. Diaz didn't even get 3 full seasons. His seat was red hot after only one season. Cristobal and DiMare have powerful benefactors and are essentially unfireable.
This is exactly why fans should never have a voice... The fact y'all even put Mario in the same sentence as the other two is just sad. Same fans who said everything about Butch too. Same fans who complained about Jimmy initially and same with Ericson... Fans don't know **** and at the end of the day that is the the problem. No one simply stays in their lanes. Atleast apply these same standards to every other part of their lives or atleast some of it. No one here lives up to a standard. Holds themselves to a standard and if they don't immediately achieve it, well then the top of the liberty tower should set them free... Gets so tiring listening to all the same stupidity over and over incessantly. Give people a chance to show what they are. At that point call a spade a spade. You guys are talking about Mario in the same light as two coaches who have zero experience and haven't proven a thing. If you think that's Mario then I'm extremely confused with what standard we should set. Again if people put Mario first year in the same light as Manny's first year that's more of a stretch. Cmr might have had his share of issues but not even the same hemisphere as buddy.

No one simply stays in their lanes. Atleast apply these same standards to every other part of their lives or atleast some of it. No one here lives up to a standard. Holds themselves to a standard and if they don't immediately achieve it, well then the top of the liberty tower should set them free...

Eh, you're going off the rails a little bit here. We don't get to show our stuff on TV, but a lot of people here have important jobs that we're really good at, and would get fired if we didn't produce results. And I'm a Mario fan. But he isn't immune to criticism just because he's a good guy.

Eh, you're going off the rails a little bit here. We don't get to show our stuff on TV, but a lot of people here have important jobs that we're really good at, and would get fired if we didn't produce results. And I'm a Mario fan. But he isn't immune to criticism just because he's a good guy.
No one is speaking in exact terms. Obviously there's plenty of people here that are productive if not even possibly a few who are excellent at what they do. I'm speaking in loose terms. Nothing at all wrong about some criticism of Mario. But brother that's not criticism when you just put him into the same exact conversation about two people who are widely viewed as failures and one of them is being talked about as needing to be replaced... You said Gino's situation is the same as Mario's to where benefactors are the reasons they have jobs. Possibly I took it out of context. But Mario has the job he has and the salary he has due to his achievements. Nothing to do with a benefactor. Gino has atleast had some time to show what he is and as of now it's lacking. I can understand the people saying we need changes. Anyone saying Mario fits in that same category aren't being rational. Criticism is very different from wondering if someone deserves a job or not. You don't agree with that?

Advertisement
No one is speaking in exact terms. Obviously there's plenty of people here that are productive if not even possibly a few who are excellent at what they do. I'm speaking in loose terms. Nothing at all wrong about some criticism of Mario. But brother that's not criticism when you just put him into the same exact conversation about two people who are widely viewed as failures and one of them is being talked about as needing to be replaced... You said Gino's situation is the same as Mario's to where benefactors are the reasons they have jobs. Possibly I took it out of context. But Mario has the job he has and the salary he has due to his achievements. Nothing to do with a benefactor. Gino has atleast had some time to show what he is and as of now it's lacking. I can understand the people saying we need changes. Anyone saying Mario fits in that same category aren't being rational. Criticism is very different from wondering if someone deserves a job or not. You don't agree with that?

Yeah, I didn't put Gino and Mario in the same sentence. I'm not sure who posted that. I'm widely known as one of the biggest anti-Gino guys on the planet, and like I said, I'm a Mario fan.

Agree with you that they got hot, but they were awful last week. And tbh this weekend they played closer to what their season showed them to be, than the juggernaut they were 3 weeks ago. 4 runs against Ligon and our bullpen isn’t exactly lighting it up. And 10 runs against the what we had left in game 4, is par for the course.

They won games with pitching. That’s how they won games 1 and 2. That’s been their deal all season.
What we had left in the bullpen? Lequerica who has been pretty good all season comes in immediately gives up a double to score 2, walks the next 2, then gives up a grand slam. Game over. He had not pitched all weekend.

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of the Dimare regime, but this is not the hill to die on. Lequerica **** the bed.

Last edited:
What we had left in the bullpen? Lequerica who has been pretty good all season comes in immediately gives up a double to score 2, walks the next 2, then gives up a grand slam. Game over. He had not pitched all weekend.

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of the Dimare regime, but this is not the hill to die on. Lequerica **** the bed.
I said what we had left in game 4. That includes everybody. Goes back to the lack of pitching depth. I’m not criticizing the decision to go to him, I’m criticizing every decision (roster makeup mainly) that led to him being the one who had to come in next.

Let’s be real for a minute. Leq has been fine. A 4.71 ERA and a whip over 1.2 isn’t exactly shutting anything down. In no world should he be a go to guy on a team with Omaha goals.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I said what we had left in game 4. That includes everybody. Goes back to the lack of pitching depth.

Lea has been fine. A 4.71 ERA and a whip over 1.2 isn’t exactly shutting anything down. In no world should he be a go to guy on a team with Omaha goals.
Other than Walters, who qualifies as a go to guy to get to Omaha?

I don’t have an answer for the game management thing. People here 100% have a better feel for the game than Gino.

As far as the approach at the plate and the refusal to play small ball or manufacture runs, that’s a choice. Gino went all in on the home runs while dealing with the high strikeout rate that comes with it. He also doesn’t seem to believe in giving up an out to get a guy into scoring position. Whether that be via bunt or via a groundball to the right side. The lack of stolen bases and action on the base paths in general is also crazy. The offense is vanilla as it can be.
The ironic thing is 30yrs ago I remember Dimare being that guy who stole bases manufacturing runs for guys like Johnson and Smith (Charles & Jonathan?)

Advertisement
Ziehl, Ligon, Rosario - none of those 3 crack the weekend rotation at UF and I’m not sure any of the 3 would even be the main weekday guy.

As much as I hate the gata, they know how to build a pitching staff. We are light years behind.

Probably not a guy who wasn’t good at FIU. The fact that he is what we had is the problem.

Want better? Start with a pitching coach who actually leaves his office and recruits. Not somebody who shops in the portal bargain bin from FIU and FGCU.
Look, we know he didn’t want your nephew or whatever the story was, but the head coach sets the tone for recruiting. We’re not fixing all the issues in this program with a fiery young energetic pitching coach. We have top level problems.

Advertisement
Back