I owe an apology to some of yall

But he didn’t. And the team got bounced from its own regional, so we do know.

Top 50 consensus offense is great but what did it lead to? Nothing. They choked in the postseason bc relying on three run home runs isn’t a recipe for success when you’re facing good pitching and the games get tight. Not to mention the lack of pitching is also on the Gino and JD. They are the reason this team couldn’t field a staff that could last 4 games in a week against good opponents and survive.
I 100% agree with you. I was just saying that this weekend was essentially over when he threw Ziehl 6 innings in game 1.

Advertisement
Mediocrity used to not be the standard for the program - now it is - that's the parallel with the football program. It's really that simple. This baseball program used to be ****ed off for excellence, Omaha was THE goal every year, 2nd place trophies propping open the bathroom door, etc. If you're not there in Omaha, you don't have a shot at winning the title. While they always say Omaha's the goal, we aren't developing guys well enough nor building the roster to be good enough to go to Omaha. Guys like Yoyo or Walters are gonna develop and go pro, they are who they are. Where's the other future high draft picks that we're developing on this current roster besides those guys? They don't exist. Maybe Kayfus/Cyr? But that's just 2 more guys. You need a roster full of those kinds of talent if you want to hit that standard we're looking for.

But it's not about having 2-3 good players. Miami rosters used to be lousy with talent - up and down the roster. 1 thru 9 would strike fear into an opposing pitcher. Now, if you can get thru our 1-4 or 5, the bottom of the order can't do it. Gino couldn't figure out how to get any production from the bottom of the lineup, and it bit us in the ***.

Gino also dropped the ball on not getting another quality starting pitcher or two out of the Portal this offseason. We needed at least 1 more solid guy. Even if that pitcher was a mid-week guy behind Ziehl/Ligon/Rosario, we didn't have another guy to step up when Ligon got injured, and he wasn't ready when he came back Saturday night against Texas...and it cost us dearly.

Besides...our teams play too sterile and passive under both Morris and Dimare. They always pitch/hit/field in big spots like they're freaking scared to death of making a mistake. That's coaching and instilling a mentality. It happens year after freaking year when we play a team who is at the top of their game and isn't making mistakes. This team probably had more fire than most because Yoyo is a pretty firey personality and he was the leader. But *Gino* doesn't lead that way. It's obvious w/how his teams normally just go into a shell and don't step up in big moments.

One thing I keep going back to w/the homers on this board...we have decent teams. We don't have enough for Omaha, but that's another debate. Everyone likes to be rah-rah over stuff like the milkshakes, Coach Fraser...even "Mark Light Magic".

Wouldn't it be nice to have a good enough team where we aren't needing 2 straight wins at home in a regional to where we aren't counting on "Mark Light Magic" to ******* bail us out every time, and then be disappointed when it doesn't?
I agree with 100% your summing up with our state of the program.

Our lineup this year wasn’t our problem. We had guys 1-9 who could all hit. Guys like Pitelli, Perez, Long, Renzo and Carrier are all high quality 6-9 hitters. Our approach still seemed to be needing attention but you can’t fault what this lineup was able to achieve this year.

When it came to pitching we were a disaster. We had 1 elite arm in Walters, 1 very good arm, 3 solid guys in Ligon, Scinta and Rafe. The rest of the staff was replaceable or you had no idea what you would get from them. We were at least 2-3 very good to elite arms away from being a formidable CWS team that wasn’t going to be dragged there by an offense that got very very hot.

I agree with 100% your summing up with our state of the program.

Our lineup this year wasn’t our problem. We had guys 1-9 who could all hit. Guys like Pitelli, Perez, Long, Renzo and Carrier are all high quality 6-9 hitters. Our approach still seemed to be needing attention but you can’t fault what this lineup was able to achieve this year.

When it came to pitching we were a disaster. We had 1 elite arm in Walters, 1 very good arm, 3 solid guys in Ligon, Scinta and Rafe. The rest of the staff was replaceable or you had no idea what you would get from them. We were at least 2-3 very good to elite arms away from being a formidable CWS team that wasn’t going to be dragged there by an offense that got very very hot.

Our 7-9 hitters were virtual automatic outs against quality pitching.

If it’s me in charge, I’m making the change. Gino, despite individual decisions that drive me nuts, has done a decent enough job as a regular season coach. He can clearly finish high up in the league standings and get you in position to host regionals. There are places where that’s good enough. This shouldn’t be one of them. We’ve come into regionals hot, cold, and middling. We’ve hosted, faced Top 8 seeds on the road, and had the host flame out and clear our path. We’ve done it with the Toral/Del group and we’ve done it with the CJ/Yoyo group. Something is missing.

Realistically, I know the big change isn’t happening, so it’s time to at least see if Gino can do it with pitching and hitting coaches from outside the program.
I was with you until your last sentence. Let's not repeat the Larry Coker debacle and fire all the assistants, as that only delays the inevitable. The buck stops with Gino.

The entire baseball staff needs to go. I assume nothing will change, but a clean sweep is the only solution.

The Ziehl decision made no difference one way or the other.

The season's fate was sealed when our portal guys were the quality of Farrow, Gomez, and Scanlon. We failed to bring in a quality catcher, or at least try using JD Jones. Failed to bring in quality arms, and instead patchworked a MASH unit made up of anybody willing to stand on the bump.

The freshman class was a non-factor, save Cyr. Most never showed up, physically or mentally. The next incoming class is woefully inadequate.

I could go on, but shouldn't have to. It's Gino.

Either make the move, or expect more of the same.

Advertisement
So how likely is it that JD gets replaced?

Personally, i am a fan of no one on this staff.

in terms of hitting, we strike out way too often. too many unproductive outs. too many risp stranded. watching us judge a breaking pitch as something that will be a ball or strike and trying to hit is maddening.

some stats:

team batting avg 44th
team era: 68th

Our 7-9 hitters were virtual automatic outs against quality pitching.
Pitelli as your 7 hitter is a problem? You guys act as if we didn’t put up 6 against Texas yesterday, like we didn’t score 5+ runs against Wake Forest. I’m not going to excuse Gino. But the lineup was good enough. Our approach at the plate continued to be a problem even with all the runs scored.

Our Pitching staff was an absolute disaster and would have been even worse if Walters didn’t come back to play with his brother.

Pitelli as your 7 hitter is a problem? You guys act as if we didn’t put up 6 against Texas yesterday, like we didn’t score 5+ runs against Wake Forest. I’m not going to excuse Gino. But the lineup was good enough. Our approach at the plate continued to be a problem even with all the runs scored.

Our Pitching staff was an absolute disaster and would have been even worse if Walters didn’t come back to play with his brother.
The lineup was good enough in the regular season bc the sample size was so large.

1 run on 7 hits
6 runs on 6 hits.
Is that good enough?

As mentioned earlier, 7-9 was a disaster. Something like 4-40ish. Levenson was awful as well. You can’t win with that. The team scored 3 times against Texas. Solo Hr and two 3 run Hr’s. That translates to scoring in 3 out of 18 innings. That’s not winning you any games.

And no Idc about Louisiana or Maine. Those were bottom tier midweek level pitching staffs.

Last edited:
The lineup was good enough in the regular season bc the sample size was so large.

As mentioned earlier, 7-9 was a disaster. Something like 4-40ish. Levenson was awful as well. You can’t win with that. The team scored 3 times against Texas. Solo Hr and two 3 run Hr’s. That translates to scoring in 3 out of 18 innings. That’s not winning you any games.

And no Idc about Louisiana or Maine. Those were bottom tier midweek level pitching staffs.
A lot of the posters in here seem to be more in tune with what is happening or needs to be done from a game management standpoint than our coaches. That’s a problem.

We knew pitching was bad. Why?

If we didn’t hit homers we would swing harder it seemed. No concept of trying to manufacture runs. Small ball as situations dictate.

Good forum with knowledgeable posters. As for coaches? I think they will all be back next year. We weren’t even opposite UF this year and ****ed that away.

Advertisement
Time for Rad to do one of the most difficult aspects of any AD job but one necessary if you want to actually succeed as an AD- make a decision and a move that will anger some* of the money people behind your program.
I was sitting with rad in the box. Talk about stressed, the way he was at this game. We didn't discuss what the stress was over. But he was definitely transparent about his disappointment.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but this season was a mirage. The ACC was down this year. This team lost to every good team they played. Duke being the only outlier. If they beat Coastal tomorrow you can say going 3-1 against them looks good, if not, IMO you can’t. Don’t care about Ind St that was one midweek game. I can’t find one defining moment that put this season on the map as a good one. Is Pitt the best road series this team won? Just seems like a bunch of 2-1 series wins against other decent teams. When it mattered this is what happened:

1-2 against UF
1-3 against Wake
0-3 against UVA
0-2 against Texas

I was going to post something similar last night. We’re on the same wave length; & truth be told, throughout DiMare’s tenure, we’ve bludgeoned poor teams while being around a .580% win clip on decent to good teams. We’ve had some favorable schedules since 2019 w/ a lot of lower tier, out of conference teams, & to ur point, the ACC hasn’t been the best in a minute. Typically only 3-4 teams r good annually, and we’re in that 3-4 team discussion.

This is y we’ve done well in the regular season, but come post season including the ACC tourney as we go deep, we’ve failed. The competition stiffens in post season play, so sure we’ll beat a mid major as a 3 or 4 seed, but once we play a 1 or 2 seed in The Regionals, it’s a wrap. Truthfully, I’m not surprised that we’re back home this early, it’s been this way for a minute.

When u have a coach who offers zero coaching, adjustments & the team is primarily reliant upon the deep shot to win games b/c the pitching is sketchy, that doesn’t bode well when facing teams w/ solid pitching as the season prolongs.

A lot of the posters in here seem to be more in tune with what is happening or needs to be done from a game management standpoint than our coaches. That’s a problem.

We knew pitching was bad. Why?

If we didn’t hit homers we would swing harder it seemed. No concept of trying to manufacture runs. Small ball as situations dictate.

Good forum with knowledgeable posters. As for coaches? I think they will all be back next year. We weren’t even opposite UF this year and ****ed that away.
I don’t have an answer for the game management thing. People here 100% have a better feel for the game than Gino.

As far as the approach at the plate and the refusal to play small ball or manufacture runs, that’s a choice. Gino went all in on the home runs while dealing with the high strikeout rate that comes with it. He also doesn’t seem to believe in giving up an out to get a guy into scoring position. Whether that be via bunt or via a groundball to the right side. The lack of stolen bases and action on the base paths in general is also crazy. The offense is vanilla as it can be.

I was going to post something similar last night. We’re on the same wave length; & truth be told, throughout DiMare’s tenure, we’ve bludgeoned poor teams while being around a .580% win clip on decent to good teams. We’ve had some favorable schedules since 2019 w/ a lot of lower tier, out of conference teams, & to ur point, the ACC hasn’t been the best in a minute. Typically only 3-4 teams r good annually, and we’re in that 3-4 team discussion.

This is y we’ve done well in the regular season, but come post season including the ACC tourney as we go deep, we’ve failed. The competition stiffens in post season play, so sure we’ll beat a mid major as a 3 or 4 seed, but once we play a 1 or 2 seed in The Regionals, it’s a wrap. Truthfully, I’m not surprised that we’re back home this early, it’s been this way for a minute.

When u have a coach who offers zero coaching, adjustments & the team is primarily reliant upon the deep shot to win games b/c the pitching is sketchy, that doesn’t bode well when facing teams w/ solid pitching as the season prolongs.
This is as shocked as I’ve been since we blew that Gainesville regional against USF and South Bama. Sounds crazy now, but it’s not.

Texas isn’t that good. It was right there for the taking. You throw Gage on Saturday and you’re 2-0. It’s that simple. Regional over. You win. Nobody in this regional had the pitching to win from the losers bracket. It’s why I was very vocal about this being the best draw we could’ve hoped for outside of getting UCONN as the #2.

Advertisement
LOL

Dimare was on the failed Morris staff. Was lead recruiter/recruiting coordinator, OF coach, and hitting coordinator for the 2 teams that didn’t make post season.

He has stunk for a very long time just like JD has. The program needs a total reset

Sounds eerily similar to the Diaz scenario LoL

The little I've watched of the team these past two seasons, I've walked away smh how little plate discipline we have and how seldom we try to create runs.

I was sitting with rad in the box. Talk about stressed, the way he was at this game. We didn't discuss what the stress was over. But he was definitely transparent about his disappointment.
He legit watched a coach **** down his own leg hosting his own regional and was gift wrapped a chance at hosting a super to get to Omaha…

Anyone who cares about the baseball program thanks Gino’s dad for the checks but for the betterment of the baseball program it needs new leadership

Advertisement
I've said it on this board and on Twitter for several years now....he is our version of Meat Martin. It's essentially the same exact situation. The job was given to somebody who didn't deserve it because of what daddy did and who daddy was.

Now, in my line of work, I learn from the past, but I do not focus on it. What happened yesterday and what happened over the past 10 years is essentially irrelevant. You can't change it. But you can change tomorrow.

Back to my FSU thoughts.....firing Meat was a VERY difficult decision. There is simply nobody, and I mean nobody, more beloved in the FSU athletic department than 11 was. And that includes Bobby Bowden. So, firing his son was a really, REALLY tricky situation. Especially after just a few years, the first of those being 2020 where the season was cancelled essentially before it started. But guess what? They did it because they knew homeboy was in over his head, didn't deserve the job in the first place, and the experiment failed. So they went and hired a proven coach with a track record of winning teams. Someone who deserved the job, and didn't just get it because of their daddy.

Miami has to make the same decision. Simply HAS TO. It won't be easy, Gino's daddy's name is everywhere around campus, we all know that. What Paul did for the kids here cannot be understated, as Dee mentioned. But it's the right, and only, move to make at this point. We cannot go back and "unhire" him when 3 retired. But we can shoot his *** into the sun right now and get the program moving in the right direction again. How much more evidence do you need that this guy cannot get it done? Again, FSU fired Meat after *THREE* seasons, 1 of which wasn't even really a season. Gino has been the Head Coach here for 5 years, has never won the conference, has never won the division, and has never made it out of Regionals.

It's time.
i would say that UM has to fire Dimare PRECISELY IN FACT BECAUSE OF HIS FATHER´S LEGACY AND WHAT HIS FATHER DID FOR THE ATHLETES, not the other way around.

Not going to let you sneak this by without asking about: Nike, Stadium and Conference Alignment

I know you weren’t sipping milkshakes and talking exit velocity….

Sounds eerily similar to the Diaz scenario LoL

The little I've watched of the team these past two seasons, I've walked away smh how little plate discipline we have and how seldom we try to create runs.

Closer to the Cristobal scenario. Diaz didn't even get 3 full seasons. His seat was red hot after only one season. Cristobal and DiMare have powerful benefactors and are essentially unfireable.

Advertisement
Back