I owe an apology to some of yall

Ziehl, Ligon, Rosario - none of those 3 crack the weekend rotation at UF and I’m not sure any of the 3 would even be the main weekday guy.

As much as I hate the gata, they know how to build a pitching staff. We are light years behind.
A bit of a stretch - only for Ziehl, looking at the 3 in their current form, and especially after you take out his first 3 outings. He was statistically on par with their weekend guys and issues far less walks.

Ligon would be an ideal mid-week arm when he's healthy. His mechanics need to be reworked and he needs a better core and hip drive to learn how to take the load off his arm and end up with dead-arm every year. Lots of elongated movements and disconnect in his delivery and it's taking a toll.

Rosario is a mystery. If he went to UF he'd be a bonified ace because he would have been developed and progressed like we expected. They rarely waste 95+ with good stuff to go with it. That statement could apply to Ziehl too. He could already be in their rotation the way he is but if he were at UF, O'Sullivan rarely wastes pitching talent. He's been a top 3 developer of pitching in college baseball for 20+ years now.

Advertisement
A bit of a stretch - only for Ziehl, looking at the 3 in their current form, and especially after you take out his first 3 outings. He was statistically on par with their weekend guys and issues far less walks.

Ligon would be an ideal mid-week arm when he's healthy. His mechanics need to be reworked and he needs a better core and hip drive to learn how to take the load off his arm and end up with dead-arm every year. Lots of elongated movements and disconnect in his delivery and it's taking a toll.

Rosario is a mystery. If he went to UF he'd be a bonified ace because he would have been developed and progressed like we expected. They rarely waste 95+ with good stuff to go with it. That statement could apply to Ziehl too. He could already be in their rotation the way he is but if he were at UF, O'Sullivan rarely wastes pitching talent. He's been a top 3 developer of pitching in college baseball for 20+ years now.
Agree(d) on all. O’Sullivan is a grade A ****bird of a man but the dude knows pitching.

Remember, how ecstatic we were to get an arm like Rosario on campus as he was someone that we weren’t accustomed to getting due to being snakebit by draft, etc.? Mederos as well though not sure how effective he became @ OK State.

Last edited:
Agree(d) on all. O’Sullivan is a grade A ****bird of a man but the dude knows pitching.

Agreed on ****bird and pitching. I’ll add, if he underachieved here like he has at UF (relatively speaking) we’d be calling for his head too

Last edited:
Advertisement

Remember, how ecstatic we were to get an arm like Rosario on campus as he was someone that we weren’t accustomed to getting due to being snakebit by draft, etc.? Mederos as well though not sure how effective he became @ OK State.
Mederos was 4-4 with a 5.59 era at Ok ST. in 2022. Was then selected in the 6th round by The Angels.

For less than 5 years term, Gino has kept us consistently in the top 20 generally, certainly better than football. But it's about time to hold him accountable for reaching a wall we can't overcome...success vs good teams and in post-season.

A good start is (new) hitting and pitching coaches, who have been at it longer and appear to fail to do the expected excellent development, scouting, adjusting, recruiting, and other stuff we see is severely lacking for a team that wants (and needs) to do way more than Top-64. If it's gonna be same-o same-o next year, just as soon see Gino hit the road.

This is exactly why fans should never have a voice... The fact y'all even put Mario in the same sentence as the other two is just sad. Same fans who said everything about Butch too. Same fans who complained about Jimmy initially and same with Ericson... Fans don't know **** and at the end of the day that is the the problem. No one simply stays in their lanes. Atleast apply these same standards to every other part of their lives or atleast some of it. No one here lives up to a standard. Holds themselves to a standard and if they don't immediately achieve it, well then the top of the liberty tower should set them free... Gets so tiring listening to all the same stupidity over and over incessantly. Give people a chance to show what they are. At that point call a spade a spade. You guys are talking about Mario in the same light as two coaches who have zero experience and haven't proven a thing. If you think that's Mario then I'm extremely confused with what standard we should set. Again if people put Mario first year in the same light as Manny's first year that's more of a stretch. Cmr might have had his share of issues but not even the same hemisphere as buddy.

You are mixing up two issues. I didn't compare Cristobal and DiMare's coaching performances. Nor did I say Cristobal should be fired after one season. Cristobal will have many years (IMO, his entire 10 year contract) to prove himself. I think he will ultimately be relatively successful (UM making it to a conference championship at least once), it will just take quite a bit longer than expected due to self-inflicted wounds. DiMare has had multiple years in a row where he fell far short of expectations, but I don't think he's ever getting fired. The one very important thing that Cristobal and DiMare have in common is that they both have powerful benefactors backing them and are essentially unfireable. That's not a comparison of coaching ability, but rather a comparison of job security.

Advertisement
For less than 5 years term, Gino has kept us consistently in the top 20 generally, certainly better than football. But it's about time to hold him accountable for reaching a wall we can't overcome...success vs good teams and in post-season.

A good start is (new) hitting and pitching coaches, who have been at it longer and appear to fail to do the expected excellent development, scouting, adjusting, recruiting, and other stuff we see is severely lacking for a team that wants (and needs) to do way more than Top-64. If it's gonna be same-o same-o next year, just as soon see Gino hit the road.

this.

we're not a perennial CWS contender with Gino. 5 years, and 5 times (COVID year excepted) getting bounced in the regional on mediocre play, against teams he should have beat. does anyone think next year is different?

he's been at UM coaching as an assistant or head coach for over 20 years. you know what you're getting with the guy: he's good enough to keep us as a top 25 program. but that's his ceiling.

if top 25 is all that he's going to be asked to deliver, then he'll coach at UM for another 20 years.

You are mixing up two issues. I didn't compare Cristobal and DiMare's coaching performances. Nor did I say Cristobal should be fired after one season. Cristobal will have many years (IMO, his entire 10 year contract) to prove himself. I think he will ultimately be relatively successful (UM making it to a conference championship at least once), it will just take quite a bit longer than expected due to self-inflicted wounds. DiMare has had multiple years in a row where he fell far short of expectations, but I don't think he's ever getting fired. The one very important thing that Cristobal and DiMare have in common is that they both have powerful benefactors backing them and are essentially unfireable. That's not a comparison of coaching ability, but rather a comparison of job security.
Ur giving people the credit to where they can distinguish one from the other when they've shown most of the last year plenty don't deserve it. One deserves to be talked about at the least for being replaced while the other is an amazing hire that WILL make us a national power again. You and I are on very different pages if you think Mario gets us into only one conference championship. Especially if we're in the acc much longer. But we're all allowed opinions.

The postseason streak set this program back a decade. After the debacle in Omaha in 2008, the program would’ve been better served to miss the postseason altogether in 2009.

Extending the streak became a fallback when 3 let the game pass him by. All of the sudden being an 2 seed in Gainesville and going 1-2, became acceptable. And outside of 15 and 16 when we were the benefactors of major upsets, to gift wrap the team two trips to Omaha, it’s never been the same.

The postseason streak set this program back a decade. After the debacle in Omaha in 2008, the program would’ve been better served to miss the postseason altogether in 2009.

Extending the streak became a fallback when 3 let the game pass him by. All of the sudden being an 2 seed in Gainesville and going 1-2, became acceptable. And outside of 15 and 16 when we were the benefactors of major upsets, to gift wrap the team two trips to Omaha, it’s never been the same.

Yes, a few of us have pointed to 2008 for several years now as the beginning of the downfall. I wish Brian Piccolo would come up with a new screen name to tell me how wrong I was way back in 2014 when I said the program was in a downward spiral.

Advertisement
Yes, a few of us have pointed to 2008 for several years now as the beginning of the downfall. I wish Brian Piccolo would come up with a new screen name to tell me how wrong I was way back in 2014 when I said the program was in a downward spiral.
The fact that we didn’t see him come around this season under his 45th new name is quite telling.

08 hurt my heart like no other canes letdown.

I went to acc championship in jacksonville. Saw them play great and win the thing beating a loaded fsu team.

Traveled to Omaha because I swore it was the year. Boy did I leave the state of Nebraska disappointed. Told myself I will never go back unless I feel we have a legit chance again. Haven’t been back since but would want nothing more than to have another chance to go knowing we are a legit ball club top to bottom.

Last edited:
08 hurt my heart like no other canes letdown.

I went to acc championship in jacksonville. Saw them play great and win the thing beating a loaded fsu team.

Traveled to Omaha because I swore it was the year. Boy did I leave the state of Nebraska disappointed. Told myself I will never go back unless I feel we have a legit chance again. Haven’t been back since but would want nothing more than to have another chance to go knowing we are a legit ball club top to bottom.
That team felt like the mountain top. Like there was no way they weren’t coming home with a trophy. That UGA loss felt just like the 2003 Fiesta Bowl at the time, like it was the end of an era. And it was.

Advertisement
All it takes is to show what you posted about not beating a 1 or 2 seed in the tourney for a decade to prove the point. 15 and 16 look good on paper, but in reality it was a ton of luck. I’m not gonna say it wasn’t fun to get to watch them get there, but getting manhandled in Omaha showed they weren’t elite.

All it takes is to show what you posted about not beating a 1 or 2 seed in the tourney for a decade to prove the point. 15 and 16 look good on paper, but in reality it was a ton of luck. I’m not gonna say it wasn’t fun to get to watch them get there, but getting manhandled in Omaha showed they weren’t elite.

Yep. While credit is due for taking care of the teams in your path, that team fell apart as soon as they faced 1's and 2's, just like every other season.

The fact that we didn’t see him come around this season under his 45th new name is quite telling.
Every time I see someone I don't recognize around here talking about "it's only one loss...all good teams lose all the time...everything is just a big dice roll" I get all
Oh Boy High Quality GIF

Advertisement
Back