I hope this is a lesson

It was always a concern of mine that he didn't want to commit publicly. People said calm down because he just wanted to have his day in the sun. I'm betting deep down this kid new where the pressure was going to come from. I know some are ****ed at him, but the adults are the ones that should feel our wrath. That's some bullshat, especially the pops if the restaurant story is true. You put your son in a tough situation thinking he's going to punk out, and then he stands tall so you basically force the kid. All I can do is shake my head.

Advertisement
This is exactly why I tell FSWho folks that Akers will never amount to Cook

Maybe not, but Fisher pulling elites from out of state. See Akers and Laborn form out of the state of Florida and still got Z. White (who is from the state of Florida) in the same **** class. I hate the Noles but what is Fisher doing that Richt and Brown cant do? As far as Rb's go, Fisher playing chess, Richt playing checkers.

Newsflash: The local market isn't loyal to the home team. Going all in on Sony Michel, Cook, Scarlett, and Collins didn't pay dividends either. We had a better shot at McFarland than we did with these other 4. I see no lesson learned.

Local first, Florida 2nd, National 3rd. If we are going after national guys, it's because the local market ain't producing at the level. Selling South Florida works pretty good on a National level and I see no time wasted.

This. Dmoney is mistaken here. This was a Maryland/Under Armour busine$$ transaction. Nothing more and nothing less.

Newsflash: The local market isn't loyal to the home team. Going all in on Sony Michel, Cook, Scarlett, and Collins didn't pay dividends either. We had a better shot at McFarland than we did with these other 4. I see no lesson learned.

Local first, Florida 2nd, National 3rd. If we are going after national guys, it's because the local market ain't producing at the level. Selling South Florida works pretty good on a National level and I see no time wasted.
The only lesson here is that money talks.

Upvote!

The best backs in the NFL are not only from Florida.

It's about allocating resources.

Florida backs are more likely to pick Miami. There are five times as many Florida backs in the Top 15 than any other state. Three of the top four backs in the ACC this year were from South Florida. That's where we need to focus.

That's where we do focus. Coaches had a good relationship with what many consider an elite prospect. Coaching staff was smart to go after him...it just didn't work out. It happens. We all know we should focus on FL, and sprinkle in OOS which is exactly what this staff has done this year...and done well IMO.

I hate that when one recruit doesn't work out, everyone wants to question every move the staff makes.

Advertisement
That's where we do focus. Coaches had a good relationship with what many consider an elite prospect. Coaching staff was smart to go after him...it just didn't work out. It happens. We all know we should focus on FL, and sprinkle in OOS which is exactly what this staff has done this year...and done well IMO.

I hate that when one recruit doesn't work out, everyone wants to question every move the staff makes.

We could've had Darrian Felix and we chased waterfalls.

The last great OOS running back we had was Chuck Foreman. He's 66.

hypothetical Q: If he was worthy of an offer, would you recruit a RB from Valdosta, GA? ATL? Mobile, AL?

And I'm not bashing Brown. I think he's a major asset to the program. I just hope we learn from this.

Advertisement
Agree with the premise of the thread.

Unfortunately, we now just have to pray for health next season. Hate that position.

By the way, he's an athlete I'd like on the team regardless of RB position. He could be really versatile. Anyway, so be it. Still can be the best finish in a long, long time.

Advertisement
Walton - Homer - Burns next year is fine.

Richt let Gray and Gus leave. Not worried.

The last great OOS running back we had was Chuck Foreman. He's 66.

You're assuming Felix wouldn't have done what McFarland did though . Why? Are you of the opinion that since he's a FL kid he's less likely to flip from Miami than an OOS kid? If so, I disagree. Your line of thinking fits many schools, but Miami is not one of them. That loyalty to the hometown team is not there in Miami.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have pursued Felix more because I think you're right, but it's not because he's from FL and McFarland isn't. It's because he's good and in recruiting nothing is definite.

Advertisement
Miami should never waste time with out-of-state running backs.

Five of the Top 15 rushers in the NFL are from Florida. No other state has more than one. Three of the Top 12 rushers are from Dade County alone. Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Duke Johnson, Lamar Miller, Ottis Anderson, Alonzo Highsmith, Melvin Bratton. All Florida guys.

If there was ever a year to recruit an OOS back, it was this one. The state was low on backs. And chasing an OOS back still blew up in our faces.

I think back to the Class of 2009. We spent all year talking about Bryce Brown. Eight years later, Lamar Miller is one of the Top 10 backs in the sport and Brown is selling steak knives. Let's hope Robert Burns follows in Miller's footsteps.

I get your point but RB just became a bigger worrisome than WR ever was. That's epic in proportion with signing day in 4 days.

I said this two days ago...

BoxingRobes said:
As an aside, this is why I couldn't give a fvck about these out of state "stud" running backs.

While we're out chasing tail for these "studs"...we completely ignore the numerous Matt Dayes, Brandon Oliver types South Florida produces every year that would already be on campus and shut down their recruiting...no, they aren't ****...but they end up being four year productive D1 and P5 players and sometimes pros. Miami needs more of those and stop wasting time and resources of these worthless, fruitless endeavors.

BoxingRobes said:
While this is true, and the "skill position slugs" statement is also true...we are in South Florida...slugs is a relative term and I would say these *** "slugs" in SoFla are better than these **** in most areas. Historically, these underrated SoFla recruits end up being really good especially at the skill spots...

Also, if you look at the recency of our OOS skill position (RB in particular)...underwhelming...even the best of them - Corn Elder - was converted to corner (he was pretty good, but I digress). There is such an abundance of skill position players in South Florida...nevermind the State of Florida...why go to Maryland? He better be a real stud to allocate the extra resources, time, etc. to leave the tri-county area and state.

Of all places, the state of Maryland produces, on the whole, pretty trash running backs. Its not like McFarland is some once-in-five-years back from the state either...he's just another Barrington Edwards as far as I was concerned even before today's news. Waste of time. You should never recruit on a back from outside of the tri-county area...nevermind the state (that also has a lot of good in the Orlando/Tampa area as well as the Jax area occasionally).

Thomas Brown is young...he's also new to the area...I'll chalk this one to a learning experience for the young man and hope he recognizes there is no need to ever go after an Anthony McFarland again.

I would take the Top 10 Running Backs from the state of Florida before I even look at McFarland this year alone...and I'd do my homework on guys below that ranking threshold, too. Plus...if we are being honest, this kid would have never played here at RB. Maybe he moves to slot WR (and still wouldn't play) or become a DB or simply transfer. Florida athleticism and football skill is on another level.

So if there is a five star RB from out of state who wants to come here we should tell him to **** off?

Good Question!!!! It's easy to play Monday morning Qb. But I didn't hear anyone saying this when McFarland was supposed to be coming. And which South Florida RB should we have offered?????

Advertisement
Back