I hope this is a lesson

Advertisement
AJ Davis, Adarius Lemons, and Ben Thompson (all uncommitted) will be better backs than McFarland in college and one of them ends up a pro.

D$ had this ready and waiting like a recruit with two videos. Every time the tide turns against previous information provided by one of the young recruiting guys, D is ready on the defensive with this type of stuff. Loves his SFL recruits.

That's where we do focus. Coaches had a good relationship with what many consider an elite prospect. Coaching staff was smart to go after him...it just didn't work out. It happens. We all know we should focus on FL, and sprinkle in OOS which is exactly what this staff has done this year...and done well IMO.

I hate that when one recruit doesn't work out, everyone wants to question every move the staff makes.

We could've had Darrian Felix and we chased waterfalls.

The last great OOS running back we had was Chuck Foreman. He's 66.

You're assuming Felix wouldn't have done what McFarland did though . Why? Are you of the opinion that since he's a FL kid he's less likely to flip from Miami than an OOS kid? If so, I disagree. Your line of thinking fits many schools, but Miami is not one of them. That loyalty to the hometown team is not there in Miami.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have pursued Felix more because I think you're right, but it's not because he's from FL and McFarland isn't. It's because he's good and in recruiting nothing is definite.

Thank you. And is every OOS kid we recruit a waterfall? When should we recruit an OOS kid and when shouldn't we?

Valid points to both sides. Not a stellar year in state and they had the on-going relationship with him already. BUT, he is right. We haven't had an out of state RB of worth in forever. Why? Who knows. I don't know why tornadoes always find mobile homes to play with either, but I know I am never going to live in one in Oklahoma, Nebraska, Georgia, Alabama, etc ... if I have better options. Odds not in my favor. Plus, if you go after guys in state you at least eliminate 1 obstacle that can trip you up .... the pull of the hometown team getting in your way. Can't eliminate the bags though.

Advertisement
Valid points to both sides. Not a stellar year in state and they had the on-going relationship with him already. BUT, he is right. We haven't had an out of state RB of worth in forever. Why? Who knows. I don't know why tornadoes always find mobile homes to play with either, but I know I am never going to live in one in Oklahoma, Nebraska, Georgia, Alabama, etc ... if I have better options. Odds not in my favor. Plus, if you go after guys in state you at least eliminate 1 obstacle that can trip you up .... the pull of the hometown team getting in your way. Can't eliminate the bags though.

Lesean McCoy would've been nice

Lol at everyone on the board who was ecstatic at the thought of getting McFarland, but now he's a trashy Maryland running back. This board never ceases to amaze me.

Lesean McCoy would've been nice

He would have been. I agree. But he didn't make it here. It seems none of them do and if they do they suck. In the end it turns out to be a waste of recruiting effort. Maybe that changes one day and we land a Portis caliber guy from NC, Tennessee, LA, etc ... but so far we haven't

Advertisement
Newsflash: The local market isn't loyal to the home team. Going all in on Sony Michel, Cook, Scarlett, and Collins didn't pay dividends either. We had a better shot at McFarland than we did with these other 4. I see no lesson learned.

Local first, Florida 2nd, National 3rd. If we are going after national guys, it's because the local market ain't producing at the level. Selling South Florida works pretty good on a National level and I see no time wasted.
The only lesson here is that money talks.

That is not a lesson, be a reality since the beginning of time.

You're assuming Felix wouldn't have done what McFarland did though .

McFarland stayed close to home. If Felix did what McFarland did, he would've picked Miami.

It's common sense. Out of state kids are more likely to flip.

There are positions you go out of state for. Running back isn't one of them. If we absolutely needed two backs, lock up Burns and Felix and recruit McFarland as a luxury.

McFarland stayed close to home. If Felix did what McFarland did, he would've picked Miami.

There are positions you go out of state for. Running back isn't one of them. If we absolutely needed two backs, lock up Burns and Felix and recruit McFarland as a luxury.

Is Felix a Miami quality RB? I believe he went to Oregon right? Didn't seem to be highly sought by the other 2 in-state powers; a bit of a rookie move by UM not to have a backup plan though. Placed their trust in McFarland and coming up short as a result.

Just because one kid f*cked us over doesn't mean they all will. T. Brown has a good track record, yes it sucks he put all his eggs in one basket. Recruit the best players regardless of their location. Next year its Lingard.

Advertisement
Are y'all paying attention to this announcement?? There no way In **** he just thought about all this in a day...dude has had this planned to go to Maryland for a long time

The best backs in the NFL are not only from Florida.

It's about allocating resources.

Florida backs are more likely to pick Miami. There are five times as many Florida backs in the Top 15 than any other state. Three of the top four backs in the ACC this year were from South Florida. That's where we need to focus.

$. I hope we don't wait until the 11th hour to offer kids like Dj Williams.

AJ Davis, Adarius Lemons, and Ben Thompson (all uncommitted) will be better backs than McFarland in college and one of them ends up a pro.

:puzzled:

I know yall upset but ****, let's keep it real.

Not upset at all, breh...posted that **** days ago when he was still the ACE.

Seriously...pocket that post. All three will be more productive and one goes pro.

Maryland has a **** Maryland kid right now that is a Sophomore named Ty Johnson that just ran for 1000 yards. McFarland isnt surpassing that kid for two years. Before him, the last Maryland runner to rush for 1000 yards was Da'Rel Scott and that was eight years ago...can't even remember the last time Maryland had a professional back. LaMont Jordan?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've got no problem chasing out of state running backs so long as you're not ignoring a local blue chipper. It's a pretty down year for Florida running backs, so I've got no issue with them chasing MacFarland. Maybe they could have strung Felix along but he's been a pretty solid Oregon commit for a bit and I'm not sure he's more than a depth option anyway.

I agree staying in FL for RB's is key.

But also evaluating So Fla RB's is key as well. Don't assume a guy is a stud just because he's dominating So Fla and is ranked high.

If we just blindly take the top guy from Miami/Dade then we end up having a Tyrone Moss/Charlie Jones backfield and think we're "stacked".

Evaluating that Amir Rasul is ranked the #9 RB (but really isn't that special). Evaluating that there's a huge talent difference between Yearby and Cook. Things like that are the key for when to stay home and when looking somewhere else is necessary.

Lock up SFL RB's. That's cute. Can you name 1 top SFL RB that was locked into anyone recently. Yearby flipped, Dalvin all over the place, Sony gone. Dukes the only one that comes to mind and he was literally birthed by Sebastian Stork GF.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back