I hope this is a lesson

Some of you are completely missing his point, idk if it's reading comprehension or what. Dmoney's point isn't that you shouldn't recruit OOS players or backs, you go where the best players are. But it's a matter of allocation of resources. Someone like McFarland isn't so much better than a Felix, Malik Davis, or Lemmons that Miami should ignore them to chase McFarland. Yes we know there are good players in other states too, that isn't the point.

That fine line is what separates from JAGS from Starters at the U. I don't think any of the other kids you listed would ever start here, especially their first 2 years.

Advertisement
News flash...the only 5 star RB in the state of Miami in 18, Cook, is an FSU commit. Lorenzo is gonna be a hard pull. So where does this leave us in 18 when we need 3 RBs? They sure as **** aren't all coming from FL. The more I think about this post D$ the worse it gets.

Up vote

All the big time programs recruit across the nation to get top 100 players. Alabama, FSU, Ohio St, the only difference is they have been getting them. Based on the interest McFarland showed in UM we have been dumb to not recruit a highly rated back that was begging for us to recruit him. Plus Richt was recruiting the kid even when he at UGA and Georgia has produced TONS of been RBs over the years. You go where the talent is. We have lost too many recruiting battles in South Florida to act like we have no business leaving the area.

News flash...the only 5 star RB in the state of Miami in 18, Cook, is an FSU commit. Lorenzo is gonna be a hard pull. So where does this leave us in 18 when we need 3 RBs? They sure as **** aren't all coming from FL. The more I think about this post D$ the worse it gets.

Up vote

All the big time programs recruit across the nation to get top 100 players. Alabama, FSU, Ohio St, the only difference is they have been getting them. Based on the interest McFarland showed in UM we have been dumb to not recruit a highly rated back that was begging for us to recruit him. Plus Richt was recruiting the kid even when he at UGA and Georgia has produced TONS of been RBs over the years. You go where the talent is. We have lost too many recruiting battles in South Florida to act like we have no business leaving the area.

Experts disagree about 2018

ErickMarreroU said:
We don't need another RB this year. Florida is loaded with top backs next year

Lorenzo Lingard (University)
James Cook (Miami Central)
Camron Davis (Carol City)
Shaun Shivers (Chaminade)
Chris Curry (Lehigh Senior)

Agree DMoney.

No doubt Mac would've been nice. But we're going to be alright with Walton and Homer (barring any injuries). Not going to praise Burns yet nor sleep on him, but from all accounts, when healthy he's a beast. Plus he's got size.

What a fool to go to Maryland though. Even during our down years, we produce backs. Where's the Maryland NFL RBs?

Advertisement
This was Browns guy for years and he got left at the altar.

No matter how you spin it, Mac was elite and would have anchored the team whenever he would get promoted as the starter. Unless Burns can get over his injury problems than this becomes an issue. If we don't close in 2018 for an elite RB we are ****ed. If people are convincing themselves this isn't a big deal then they don't want to be elite. You have to stack chips.

You don't realize that our greatest teams had very good backs, but not great backs. Even Clinton Portis on the 2001 team was not considered a nationally-elite back.He was a very good player from Gainesville who Steve Spurrier wanted as a corner. The elite backs started to come in right after him: Gore, McGahee, Davenport (before his injury). The only elite recruit was the Edge, before that. Even James Jackson was very good but not the most elite. He was productive at Miami, but not great.

Our championship teams had guys like a converted DE (Highsmith), a walk-on (Albert Bentley) and Keith Griffin (arguably elite out-of-state but not really elite in college). Who did we have in '87? Bratton (A-A in HS but not really great in college, just very good), Warren Williams. Who did we have in '89 and '91? I can't remember, maybe Steve McGuire (a lightly recruited kid out of NYC). Leonard Conley? the little Johnson kid from South Dade? Who else?

We have more potential talent on roster now, even with loss of Gus. Need to get something out of Trayone Gray, get Burns healthy. Maybe MD scared McFarland off talking about competition. It's possible. He can walk right in to be the big man, at least they told him that. Probably said he couldn't do that at Miami.

Also, why would he want to hang out with the same kids in the hood from HS? I guess he might not be ready for big changes socially in his life. It's different to stay and rep the 305. There's culture, tradition. Not with College Park and P.G. County.

Like I said, I drove through College Park last summer. So unimpressive, probably much worse in the winter.

Oh, well. We'll be OK.

Miami should never waste time with out-of-state running backs.

Five of the Top 15 rushers in the NFL are from Florida. No other state has more than one. Three of the Top 12 rushers are from Dade County alone. Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Duke Johnson, Lamar Miller, Ottis Anderson, Alonzo Highsmith, Melvin Bratton. All Florida guys.

If there was ever a year to recruit an OOS back, it was this one. The state was low on backs. And chasing an OOS back still blew up in our faces.

I think back to the Class of 2009. We spent all year talking about Bryce Brown. Eight years later, Lamar Miller is one of the Top 10 backs in the sport and Brown is selling steak knives. Let's hope Robert Burns follows in Miller's footsteps.

Cosign. Savon Huggins 2.0 basically imo. Probably will end up as unknown as him as well.

Advertisement
I agree, stop chasing something that isn't there. Gotta clamp down on the best RB in South Florida next year. There will be a nice opening now.
Miami should never waste time with out-of-state running backs.

Five of the Top 15 rushers in the NFL are from Florida. No other state has more than one. Three of the Top 12 rushers are from Dade County alone. Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Duke Johnson, Lamar Miller, Ottis Anderson, Alonzo Highsmith, Melvin Bratton. All Florida guys.

If there was ever a year to recruit an OOS back, it was this one. The state was low on backs. And chasing an OOS back still blew up in our faces.

I think back to the Class of 2009. We spent all year talking about Bryce Brown. Eight years later, Lamar Miller is one of the Top 10 backs in the sport and Brown is selling steak knives. Let's hope Robert Burns follows in Miller's footsteps.

Up vote

Experts disagree about 2018

ErickMarreroU said:
We don't need another RB this year. Florida is loaded with top backs next year

Lorenzo Lingard (University)
James Cook (Miami Central)
Camron Davis (Carol City)
Shaun Shivers (Chaminade)
Chris Curry (Lehigh Senior)

Yup plenty of studs to go around, always is

Advertisement
Some of you are completely missing his point, idk if it's reading comprehension or what. Dmoney's point isn't that you shouldn't recruit OOS players or backs, you go where the best players are. But it's a matter of allocation of resources. Someone like McFarland isn't so much better than a Felix, Malik Davis, or Lemmons that Miami should ignore them to chase McFarland. Yes we know there are good players in other states too, that isn't the point.

Nonsense. He's a superior back to those.

Now he's no Dalvin Cook but he's better.

Agree to disagree. Felix is one of the better all-purpose players in the country, other schools have recruited him as corner which speaks to his athleticism. I know Clemson just recently tried to flip Davis and Lemmons was at one time considered the best back in the state before his off-field issues. But even if I concede the point that McFarland is better, he isn't THAT much better to expend unlimited resources chasing him when there are comparable talents nearby. The gap isn't that wide if its there at all.

mcfartland.jpg

Advertisement
Great linemen on both sides of the ball win championships, JMO Linemen seem to be over looked because they're not holding the ball. In most cases, the best teams have the best linemen. This is why the RB going to Maryland just won't matter at all, he'll look average there.

No matter how you spin it, Mac was elite and would have anchored the team whenever he would get promoted as the starter. Unless Burns can get over his injury problems than this becomes an issue. If we don't close in 2018 for an elite RB we are ****ed. If people are convincing themselves this isn't a big deal then they don't want to be elite. You have to stack chips.[/QUOTE]

You don't realize that our greatest teams had very good backs, but not great backs. Even Clinton Portis on the 2001 team was not considered a nationally-elite back.He was a very good player from Gainesville who Steve Spurrier wanted as a corner. The elite backs started to come in right after him: Gore, McGahee, Davenport (before his injury). The only elite recruit was the Edge, before that. Even James Jackson was very good but not the most elite. He was productive at Miami, but not great.

Our championship teams had guys like a converted DE (Highsmith), a walk-on (Albert Bentley) and Keith Griffin (arguably elite out-of-state but not really elite in college). Who did we have in '87? Bratton (A-A in HS but not really great in college, just very good), Warren Williams. Who did we have in '89 and '91? I can't remember, maybe Steve McGuire (a lightly recruited kid out of NYC). Leonard Conley? the little Johnson kid from South Dade? Who else?

We have more potential talent on roster now, even with loss of Gus. Need to get something out of Trayone Gray, get Burns healthy. Maybe MD scared McFarland off talking about competition. It's possible. He can walk right in to be the big man, at least they told him that. Probably said he couldn't do that at Miami.

Also, why would he want to hang out with the same kids in the hood from HS? I guess he might not be ready for big changes socially in his life. It's different to stay and rep the 305. There's culture, tradition. Not with College Park and P.G. County.

Like I said, I drove through College Park last summer. So unimpressive, probably much worse in the winter.

Oh, well. We'll be OK.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming Felix wouldn't have done what McFarland did though .

McFarland stayed close to home. If Felix did what McFarland did, he would've picked Miami.

It's common sense. Out of state kids are more likely to flip.

There are positions you go out of state for. Running back isn't one of them. If we absolutely needed two backs, lock up Burns and Felix and recruit McFarland as a luxury.

This is good hindsight, but could we have "locked up Felix" if we kept recruiting McFartland so hard? Would he have remained locked up knowing we were going after McFartland as the feature guy? I doubt it. I think we offered Felix. Pretty sure he tweeted a photo of his offer from UM.

Advertisement
Back