I hope this is a lesson

Advertisement
The only lesson is not to rely on dramatic shifts of fate. When there are threads as recently as two weeks ago expressing pessimism toward this class, and then suddenly we want to believe we're going to sweep all the late decisions, that makes very little sense. It won't make sense next season or the year after. Everything tends to drift back to the beginning. Pieces may shift position here and there but the foundational bottom line remains mostly the same.

Yesterday I watched ESPN Recruiting Nation. They covered all the glamor schools with the 15 or 18 guys within the Top 300 and didn't mention Miami until very deep in the one hour program. It was a jolt of reality.

Besides, I don't know anything about this McFarland kid but in briefly sampling the Wednesday thread it seemed obvious from the quotes by his father that he was going to choose Maryland.

I'm not even concerned about it. I said a long time ago that we don't need two backs with a history of injuries.

I also said we should be on Malik Davis and Lemmons, best two backs in the state.

Miami should never waste time with out-of-state running backs.

Five of the Top 15 rushers in the NFL are from Florida. No other state has more than one. Three of the Top 12 rushers are from Dade County alone. Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Duke Johnson, Lamar Miller, Ottis Anderson, Alonzo Highsmith, Melvin Bratton. All Florida guys.

If there was ever a year to recruit an OOS back, it was this one. The state was low on backs. And chasing an OOS back still blew up in our faces.

I think back to the Class of 2009. We spent all year talking about Bryce Brown. Eight years later, Lamar Miller is one of the Top 10 backs in the sport and Brown is selling steak knives. Let's hope Robert Burns follows in Miller's footsteps.

Ya you said it yourself though...If there was a year it was this one. Especially with the issues around Lemons.

I loved Colin Wilson, I guess the staff thought not the same off the knee injury.

Honestly I think this goes for WR and DB too

No reason we should ever leave FL for either RB or WR or DB

No reason to go after Jeff Thomas???

Insert dopey orangutan pic.

There were plenty of WR's in sofla we coulda got, we just didn't land them

We land jeudy we aren't going to MO for playmakers

Even if we landed Jeudy, we'd take Thomas and Smith in a heartbeat.

But using your "logic," isn't losing Jeudy a "reason" to go after OOS stud WRs.

Regarding DBs, I can think of several good reasons we went after Ed Reed.

Why would that be a reason to go out of state? We keep the kids home and we shouldn't ever have to leave the state

Oh god the ed reed argument

"That's they one! That's they one!"

I'll take sofla stud DB's over 2 star LA DB's 10 times out of 10

Advertisement
Im sorry D but i gotta disagree you go after the best players period no matter where they are from

Wrong. Miami should never have to recruit a running back from out of state. You can find a great running back from the state of Florida every year. It's not that f*cking difficult if you just put some effort into it.

So cam akers, leonard fournette, mcaffery are all trash because they arent from florida yea dude they are horrible

Its fine that other running backs are good...but why chase them when you have players that are right outside your doorstep.

Dalvin Cook was better than Fournette. The odds of Robert Burns being just as good, if not better than Cam Akers is higher than anyone would give the discussion credit for. Its not bias when the amount of data that supports the strength of the position in this region is so high. WR, RB, DBs...seriously...why go anywhere else? Resource allocation and cost-benefit-analysis say, just recruit down here. Maybe a back from Tennessee or Maryland or Virginia rates a little higher on our board...is it worth the flights, the local nonsense you dont have your finger on the pulse of, the time and dedication it takes to keep that relationship with an OOS kid in good standing. I would say no...Thomas Brown and Coach Richt thought differently this cycle. I think they learned their lesson.

Ok? Which RB was worth a dam this year in Florida? You get the best players no matter where they are

History shows that, despite what we all think right now, there is going to be a pro or two from the batch. The name isn't even important...none of us are paid to scout, but history shows there will be a few studs from right outside our window. The time, effort, and resources allocated that went to McFarland could have gone to them, and they likely would commit or have been committed for some time.

As an aside - why is this a discussion every year? When is the fact of SoFla dominance in player quality going to just be accepted as true. If we were not recruiting this McFarland kid, no one on this forum would have questioned that a *** RB in SoFla is better than anything the state of Maryland offers. But, here we are.

DMoney has it mostly right as do many of the people here. We always focus on Florida for backs, but it's ok to recruit the postition nationally. Historically this is a position we have had little luck nationally. Stephen McGuire was a beast, Payton and Cooper were good backs. Other than McGuire all of the great ones are from Florida.

[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] Nice post, even though some classes we shouldn't limit ourselves by staying in state but I agree with the post as a whole. I'm going to be real here though with this McFarland situation, this one is on Thomas Brown. People are saying he was a silent but how many times do kids tell coaches they are a silent or they are about to decommit from a program and do the opposite. Just a little insight for you guys, Njoku told every coach in America he was decommitting at one point, heard it with my own ears when he was on phone with a friend whose a recruiting director and he stayed a true Cane, Cowan was a silent to a school not named Bama, and Holloman was going to commit to a school not named Georgia or Miami, my point is kids tell staff bs all the time, with Brown being a vet, he should have had a back up plan, and how recruiting is going in our favor we just may (Clemson Decommit). I am too excited for the finish for this class but Brown needs to grow from this lesson and also needs to not pull another episode by f n over somebody like he did Yearby last year knowing dude was trying to put on for scouts to turn pro.

Ivins posted: Looks like there might be a new name at running back for Miami is Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas running back Kyshaun Bryan. Said he recently spoke with Miami offensive coordinator Thomas Brown.

He is currently at Iowa for an official visit. Said the Hurricanes might able to lure him on campus late Sunday for an unofficial visit during the 'quiet period.' "If it follows through and if they want me [I might do that]," Bryan said.

Advertisement
I agree with D-Money. The point isn't that you shouldn't recruit OOS but all else being equal chase the local kid. I know they did that study a few years back and the #1 factor for where a recruit chooses to go to school is still a school's proximity to their hometown so when allocating resources it makes more sense to concentrate on players that are closest to your campus. You should go OOS when there's a huge gap in talent but otherwise no stay home. Not only are you more likely to land them but you're also fostering relationships with local schools which brings you even more players down the road. I think its funny that over the last 20 years or so Miami, UF, and FSU all built national championship teams on local players, then became the it school for OOS frontrunners, and then subsequently declined when they started taking all the OOS kids and neglecting their base. It happened with Coker, happened with Meyer, and its starting to happen with Jimbo.

Not doubting their football abilities, but when did in-state RB recruits start looking at schools with a more level head than Mac (who prompted this thread)? (Collins, Sony, Cook(s), D.Henry, Dexter, Gio, Scarlett, and many others who have played Miami the fool)

I ask again, would you recruit a Miami-caliber RB from Valdosta, GA? Mobile, AL? ATL?

(Elder was a RB from Tenn)

Last edited:
Im sorry D but i gotta disagree you go after the best players period no matter where they are from

Wrong. Miami should never have to recruit a running back from out of state. You can find a great running back from the state of Florida every year. It's not that f*cking difficult if you just put some effort into it.

So cam akers, leonard fournette, mcaffery are all trash because they arent from florida yea dude they are horrible

The odds of Robert Burns being just as good, if not better than Cam Akers is higher than anyone would give the discussion credit for. Its not bias when the amount of data that supports the strength of the position in this region is so high.

Lmao....

You bring up odds and data that Burns will be better while ignoring the actual data that he can't finish a season without being hurt. Odds are that he'll be hurt again, right?

Advertisement
So we should got out of state for every position except RB?

No. Disagree. We should almost never have to leave the state, but this is Miami. You get the best players wherever you can.

Richt didn't have much of a problem finding out-of-state RBs during his tenure at Georgia.

You don't throw in the towel because it doesn't work out one time.

Chuck Foreman was also from MD. He worked out well and was an All-Pro a few years in the NFL back in the 70s.....

Miami should never waste time with out-of-state running backs.

Five of the Top 15 rushers in the NFL are from Florida. No other state has more than one. Three of the Top 12 rushers are from Dade County alone. Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Duke Johnson, Lamar Miller, Ottis Anderson, Alonzo Highsmith, Melvin Bratton. All Florida guys.

If there was ever a year to recruit an OOS back, it was this one. The state was low on backs. And chasing an OOS back still blew up in our faces.

I think back to the Class of 2009. We spent all year talking about Bryce Brown. Eight years later, Lamar Miller is one of the Top 10 backs in the sport and Brown is selling steak knives. Let's hope Robert Burns follows in Miller's footsteps.

I agree with you [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION], however this year our hands were a bit forced. Which one of these guys would you have rather us pursued? I feel like these guys are serviceable but have low ceilings and a few of them have documented character issues.

Zaquandre White
Devan Barrett
Colin Wilson
AJ Davis
Aldarius Lemons
Malik Davis

I like Malik Davis, AJ Davis, & I think Auburn is getting a good one in Devan Barrett.

Advertisement
I dont consider Portis a FL back, but I agree with the OP.

My issue is, regardless of the staff, Miami should never lack depth at the skill positions.

DMoney I agree with you in theory, but you said yourself that the state was low on backs and McFarland had a pre-existing relationship with the staff, plus apparently was a silent. What should they have done differently in this specific case? Other than offering a plan B but I don't want any Danny Dillard's on the roster anymore.

Darrian Felix comes to mind. I haven't watched the tape on all the Florida backs but I bet we will be hearing from several of them in a couple years.

And the fact that we had a pre-existing relationship, a silent commit and still got burned should tell you why we shouldn't waste our time leaving the state.

What a joke. Pete himself has said for months that Felix want some to go out of state. Big reach D$. Brown failed in an epic way. Banda, Rumph, searles, kool, all had backup plans. Brown got left with his d*ck in his hand. When you get paid like he does to sell you produce or you get fired.

Definitely wish we had those two dog**** decommits that went to Florida. Problem would be solved.

I would take Sony though, but some decent out of state coach snagged him. Too bad our coach knows less about RBs and needs a message board lesson.

Advertisement
Back