Fall Scrimmage number 1 info

He needs to get much stronger too (and I’m sure he/the staff knows this) ….

I was sent some all 22 tape of him, stuff we can’t see on TV and buddy, he got absolutely STONED a ton at the LOS when pressed. He was taken to the sideline on some plays and could not free himself, it was surprising to see. I’m sure TAMU will see this and try to bully him. If he can get better at his release and actually have the opportunity to get vertical then he can be an even bigger threat as IMO we have only seen a small percentage of what he can do.
This is good info

Thanks man

Advertisement
We don't need to lose to TA&M. They ended the season unranked last year just like us. They are being catapaulted to #7. We could beat them. We don't really know how good or bad they are. We do know that Jimbo will have them motivated. Can Mario overcome that?

Tyler enters season having thrown for at least 300 yards and 3 TDs in 6 straight games. Only Joe Burrow has longer streak in playoff era. Van Dyke a marketable star for sure - Barry Jackson.

There honestly isn't a ceiling on how good we can be because we don't know how good TVD is going to be with his new coaching, play calling and supporting talent.

11-3 no less than 10-4.
Tyler is coming off that season with a Lashlee offense. I've said this before, Lashlees passing game concepts were elite at the college level. He is not here anymore and people seem to forget that. Gattis and Mario seem to be more focused on the run game which was not our bread and butter last couple seasons. and to keep it 100 our run game was atrocious. Not to mention Rambo and Harley are gone.. It's fair to hope TVD picks up where he left off, but in a brand new system we have no idea how he will look with this system and with these receivers

Chaney & Rooster have shown to be injury prone. Thad keeps getting mixed reviews, & now it’s rumored Citizen has a hyper extended knee. That leaves us w/ Parrish, who’s a serviceable back, but not great, imo. That’s y I have the disclaimer next to this group.

Regarding DT, I know we have Jackson, but we need another name to step up. We have a lot of Edge & tweeners, but we desperately need Miller, Taylor, Harrison-Hunte to take that next step. But you’re right, I could’ve placed them a rung higher.
How is rooster injury prone?

Advertisement
Tyler is coming off that season with a Lashlee offense. I've said this before, Lashlees passing game concepts were elite at the college level. He is not here anymore and people seem to forget that. Gattis and Mario seem to be more focused on the run game which was not our bread and butter last couple seasons. and to keep it 100 our run game was atrocious. Not to mention Rambo and Harley are gone.. It's fair to hope TVD picks up where he left off, but in a brand new system we have no idea how he will look with this system and with these receivers
Meh

It doesn’t matter what system he’s in, TVD is not a system QB

He can make every throw

This Lashlee/Gattis thing and how it pertains to TVD debate is absurd. Sure it’s gonna look different, but TVD is gonna eat. He’s elite. Not Lashlees pass game concepts

TVD and the offense will be fine. We do not know what the percentage of run -pass will be. But running the football successfully will make a huge difference. Miami could not pick up one measly yard in short yardage situations last year. That will change. I still say close to a 50-50 run-pass mix. Just call whats working!! This team will average about 40 points a game.

Not that anyone cares... but...

I think our DBs will be much improved because of a major increase on QB pressure this year. Manny had the number 1 passing D the year our line was at its best. Our DL depth should really make a diff in the 4th. Stopping the run will be a question mark for us on D.

My biggest worry and I dont care how much people talk about it... is our OLs ability to run block. Until I see it... them ******* are still a top 15 in the ACC run blocking line. That means too many frustrating 3 and outs because we couldn't pick up two yards.

Our major step up on O will be because of a bigger focus on TEs but I expect a step down from TVD because he lost his go to guys and now has to rely on dudes who drop. I expect more leadership and better accuracy but plenty of frustrated moments and less big plays.

I'm optimistic about the record because of a weak coastal, but I am def not trying to drink the koolaid (until after the A&M game).
Mirabel said it him self. Them boys look different when you ask them to go down hill instead of side to side. I personally think we are about to run the ball down a lot of teams throats this season

Advertisement
2014 team:
-UVA (5-7)
-Pitt (6-7)
Team morale plummeted after the close 2014 loss to FSU. Miami had entered that game 6-3, lost by four, and was roughed up as well. It was a thin roster due to attrition and NCAA sanctions and could not absorb losses well.

2015 team:
-Cincy (7-6 G5 team)
That one infuriated me. It was a home game - a Friday night game I believe - for the Bearcats and their fans were very, very hyped up. What made it even worse was that some of their best players were in street clothes, and they made mincemeat of 3-0 Miami's defense. Ironically it was this game that finally made me give up on Golden.

2016 team:
-ND (4-8)
The team was badly beaten up after the Florida State game. We lost three games after FSU primarily due to the number of Miami players who could not participate.

2017 team:
-Pitt (5-7)
I went to the movies that day and came out to find the Miami had lost. We lost our tight end that day and our offense completely bogged down. Richt was flip flopping quarterbacks that day, trying to get somethjng, anything going.

2018 team:
-GT (7-6)
Some key turnovers by Miami, playing without any tight ends and trying to go shotgun the entire game, and generally representative of the complete collapse in the offense that the Hurricanes saw in the second half of the 2018 season. Also, with over six minutes left in the game GA Tech was abl to run out the clock!

2019 team:

-UNC (7-6)
We came out unprepared it seemed, and spotted UNC a 17-0 first quarter lead.

-GT (3-9)
If we played that game 9 more times we'd win it 9 more times. Georgia Tech executed on some low ratio trick plays and we missed numerous chip shot field goals.

-FIU (6-7 G5)
Quarterback play. My blame for Manny and Enos is not immediately benching their QB that night and going with Kosi.

-Duke (5-7)
Horrible offense reached its nadir. Players had perhaps checked out and the rest of the CFB knew exactly how to exploit Miami's historically weak offensive line and defend the Enos scheme

2020 team:
-UNC (8-4)
Mack Brown had Manny's weakening defense figured out. And to be fair, he had two (likely) starting NFL running backs on his team.

2021 team:
-UVA (6-6)
Bad defense coupled with complete inexperience by Van Dyke.

-UNC (6-7)
Bad defense coupled with inexperience by Van Dyke.

-FSU (5-7)
Riled up FSU exploited a weak Miami defense. As with so many games, Miami gave up a lot of points early and had to struggle to catch up.

Honestly, if you look at the half time score of every game last season it was bad. Miami only led in 4 out of 12 games at half time

Half-Time:
Alabama 27, Miami 3
App State 14, Miami 12
Mich State 10, Miami 7
Miami 49, C Ct State 0
Virginia 16, Miami 7
UNC 31, Miami 17
NC State 17, Miami 14
Miami 31, Pitt 14
GA Tech 17, Miami 17
FSU 20, Miami 7
Miami 28, VA Tech 13
Miami 30, Duke 10

Second half was better.

Second Half Scoring:
Alabama 17, Miami 10
Miami 13, App State 9
Mich State 28, Miami 10
Miami 20, C State 0
Miami 21, Virginia 14
Miami 25, UNC 14
Miami 17, NC State 13

Pitt 17, Miami 7
Miami 16, GA Tech 9
Miami 21, FSU 11

VA Tech 13, Miami 10
Miami 17, Duke 0
The answer for why we’ve had the best recruiting classes in the coastal since forever and only won it once can be attributed to my non football playing *** as coaching.
No magic formula, no motivational speech or anything else.
Coaching period.
The only reason we won the coastal one year was because of coaching.
The reason sht went sideways after that was…. Coaching.

Rumors were that CMR’s staff had some really bad chemistry issues.
Even reports of coaches squaring up at practice in front of players.

All the things you just pointed out
Team checked out
Bad or outdated playcalling
Poor preparation
Bad evaluations

All that sht just boils down to bad coaching.

But the talent gap between Tamu and Clemson is still there.
Not as much as before but still present.

But even talented and well coached teams drop a game here or there and that’s the reason people still see us going 9-3 or 8-4.
It’s possible to beat Clemson or tamu and still drop another game to a lesser opponent. It be like that sometimes.

I was shown some all 22 tape of him, stuff we can’t really see on TV and buddy, often he got absolutely STONED a ton at the LOS when pressed. He was taken to the sideline on some plays and could not free himself, it was surprising to see. I’m sure TAMU will see this and try to bully him. If he can get better at his release and actually have the opportunity to get vertical then he can be an even bigger threat as IMO we have only seen a small percentage of what he can do. Year 3 for him, hopefully he can take that next step. He is one of the few we have that can get behind a secondary.

This is great context, thank you. Ever since he committed, I felt Smith a quality WR but not the game changer others on CIS view him as. I especially wondered why he slumped last season and wasn't more productive given TVD was slinging it around. This explains a lot.

Still looking for Brinson to break out. He reminded me a lot of Ahmmon coming out. Restrepo, George and Brashard are the others I know have it in them. Don't know enough about the two transfers or Horton to have an opinion. I won't believe the Green Tree hype about Redding until I see it with my own eyes.

OK, u certainly make some very valid points.

Allow me to respond for a moment:

QB: No argument there, at all.

RB: Chaney was healthy last season, & then the injury bug hit him immediately. Rooster hopefully will be used better, but as of right now, taking away the monster game he had against GT, he was a 15 carry, 45 yrds/g RB. While I’m very bullish on Citizen, he’s still a TF. Maybe b/c of Lingard, who we all were very bullish on, I like to temper expectations of incoming freshmen, especially one who is now injured. Thad has a ton of potential, but, we continue to hear mix reviews regarding work ethic.

TE: Again, no argument from me bro. This room is str8 Filthy. Hope Mallory becomes a highly touted draft pick, but even if he don’t, the pups are dogs in this room.

OL: This is still the same group as last season sans Donaldson & Williams. Reports have been they’ve been getting their *** kicked by the DL. So this is a devil’s advocate situation in itself; either
a) Our OL is stout & our DL is that much better
b) Our OL is getting exposed as a weak link or
c) Our OL is a weak link, & it’s making our DL look better than it really is

Of course I hope for situation a), but c) “could” be a possibility as well. That’s y, I’m concerned & wont change my opinion on this until Week 3

WR: Ladson played in a WR favorable offense in Clemson w/ the #1 QB/player drafted in the 2021 draft. Until I see Ladson on the field, I personally dgaf about his 247 HS ranking. While I love TVD, Rambo made TVD a much better QB in the 2nd half. Having that true #1 where u know u can just throw it there way & have a great chance of completing it, makes a world of difference.

Everyone knows I love X & Key. X is a dog, Key has a ton of potential, but he’s been inconsistent in regards to reliability, & for his speed, has a hard time separating himself. For me, this room doesn’t invoke P5 def fear. I’m not seeing a guy a Def has to game plan around, & that’s a concern 4 me, along w/ the continuous report of the dropsies. This is a “show me somethin’”, room.

DL: This is the room I have mixed reviews on. The Edge, I’m happy with. We have an interchangeable group along the line. But, I’m weary of the pocket collapse ability up the gut. U collapse the pocket up the gut, & it makes everyone’s job so much easier. My other concern is a false sense of how good this unit is. We have some really good individual players/potential, but being that they are going up against a OL that appears to be struggling, it gives me both hope & pause which leads to a bit of anxiety. However, this unit, in its entirety, I’m not really worried about.

LB: I’m gravely worried. U mentioned Chase Smith’s name, but we haven’t heard much. Iirc, we actually heard him being a hard gainer, similar to Huff. I’m bullish on Steed b/c he looked like a solid LB towards the end of last yr. Flagg, great football IQ, but as I said during his recruitment, he’s more of G5 product v. a P5 product. Thomas Davis is more of a rush end v. a play in space LB (tweener). Wes is still smallish, and I expect him more on ST & be the man in yr 2. K Smith is an interesting player, and I’m curious how he’ll handle, transition into a full time LB at that weight, at his height. Caleb Johnson is cool, but I don’t see a difference maker w/ him, if imma be honest.

S: Great room & have no concerns here

CB: Stevenson is a stud, can or will Couch go back to the Couch we saw in 2020. Again, I’m cautiously optimistic on the reports on Couch in camp b/c of our WRs inability to separate. So I’m hoping he returns to 2020 form. Ivey always get praise, every yr from every staff, so now we need to see it come to fruition in game. Blades have been a guy who’s going back & forth between S & CB. Frierson is a tweener as well. This group should improve by coaching, but I’m still concerned outside of Stevenson.

ST: No one is complaining about Big Lou, but baby Borreagles needs to show more consistency.

I think everyone is putting all their eggs in the coaching basket. Imo, part of this narrative this CIS theory (when defending Manny) that the 2021 was a play or two away from winning 10 games last season. That’s a straw man’s argument; I can easily say this team was a play or two away from being a 3-4 win team.

Again, I look for marked improvement. This notion that 10-2 is our floor is August, Red Kool-Aid talk. I’m not saying we won’t go 10-2 or even 12-0 yr 1….if @brock can transition from well done to medium well steak, I’m not discounting anything. HOWEVER, the overwhelming data shows majority of yr 1 coaches inheriting a roster in which there is some turnover & culture issues have growing pain.
Excellent post @Rellyrell

You make some great points and I can't argue with any of that. I just wish the season would get here so we can see what reality has in store. I'm probably guilty of having my Cane shades on but I predict 10-4 so I'm not that far gone lol.

I was sent some all 22 tape of him, stuff we can’t see on TV and buddy, he got absolutely STONED a ton at the LOS when pressed. He was taken to the sideline on some plays and could not free himself, it was surprising to see. I’m sure TAMU will see this and try to bully him. If he can get better at his release and actually have the opportunity to get vertical then he can be an even bigger threat as IMO we have only seen a small percentage of what he can do.
slander GIF by The Opposition w/ Jordan Klepper

Advertisement
2014 team:
-UVA (5-7)
-Pitt (6-7)
Team morale plummeted after the close 2014 loss to FSU. Miami had entered that game 6-3, lost by four, and was roughed up as well. It was a thin roster due to attrition and NCAA sanctions and could not absorb losses well.

2015 team:
-Cincy (7-6 G5 team)
That one infuriated me. It was a home game - a Friday night game I believe - for the Bearcats and their fans were very, very hyped up. What made it even worse was that some of their best players were in street clothes, and they made mincemeat of 3-0 Miami's defense. Ironically it was this game that finally made me give up on Golden.

2016 team:
-ND (4-8)
The team was badly beaten up after the Florida State game. We lost three games after FSU primarily due to the number of Miami players who could not participate.

2017 team:
-Pitt (5-7)
I went to the movies that day and came out to find the Miami had lost. We lost our tight end that day and our offense completely bogged down. Richt was flip flopping quarterbacks that day, trying to get somethjng, anything going.

2018 team:
-GT (7-6)
Some key turnovers by Miami, playing without any tight ends and trying to go shotgun the entire game, and generally representative of the complete collapse in the offense that the Hurricanes saw in the second half of the 2018 season. Also, with over six minutes left in the game GA Tech was abl to run out the clock!

2019 team:

-UNC (7-6)
We came out unprepared it seemed, and spotted UNC a 17-0 first quarter lead.

-GT (3-9)
If we played that game 9 more times we'd win it 9 more times. Georgia Tech executed on some low ratio trick plays and we missed numerous chip shot field goals.

-FIU (6-7 G5)
Quarterback play. My blame for Manny and Enos is not immediately benching their QB that night and going with Kosi.

-Duke (5-7)
Horrible offense reached its nadir. Players had perhaps checked out and the rest of the CFB knew exactly how to exploit Miami's historically weak offensive line and defend the Enos scheme

2020 team:
-UNC (8-4)
Mack Brown had Manny's weakening defense figured out. And to be fair, he had two (likely) starting NFL running backs on his team.

2021 team:
-UVA (6-6)
Bad defense coupled with complete inexperience by Van Dyke.

-UNC (6-7)
Bad defense coupled with inexperience by Van Dyke.

-FSU (5-7)
Riled up FSU exploited a weak Miami defense. As with so many games, Miami gave up a lot of points early and had to struggle to catch up.

Honestly, if you look at the half time score of every game last season it was bad. Miami only led in 4 out of 12 games at half time

Half-Time:
Alabama 27, Miami 3
App State 14, Miami 12
Mich State 10, Miami 7
Miami 49, C Ct State 0
Virginia 16, Miami 7
UNC 31, Miami 17
NC State 17, Miami 14
Miami 31, Pitt 14
GA Tech 17, Miami 17
FSU 20, Miami 7
Miami 28, VA Tech 13
Miami 30, Duke 10

Second half was better.

Second Half Scoring:
Alabama 17, Miami 10
Miami 13, App State 9
Mich State 28, Miami 10
Miami 20, C State 0
Miami 21, Virginia 14
Miami 25, UNC 14
Miami 17, NC State 13

Pitt 17, Miami 7
Miami 16, GA Tech 9
Miami 21, FSU 11

VA Tech 13, Miami 10
Miami 17, Duke 0

These scores are a big indictment of how poorly Manny had the team prepared. This was a theme for him even as dc.

To be fair he often had them playing better after half, but it was often too late.

If I had to put percentages to it here's where I would land (only regular season games):

8 wins: 20%
9 wins: 50%
10 wins: 20%
11 wins: 5%
12 wins: 5 %

I think 8-4 is our floor and 12-0 is our ceiling with 9-3 being most likely. 8-4 in my opinion would be a disappointment given that we would have only improved by 1 game after all the resources that have been poured into the program. You have to think a 2 game improvement is at least par in this situation.

9-3 in my mind means we lost to both Clem/A&M and stumbled on an ACC game OR lost to 1 of Clem/A&M and stumbled twice in the ACC. To me the key here is how we look both in our losses and wins. I want to see us be competitive in the big games and handle our business with inferior teams. We beat GT 33-30 last year and App State 25-23. In my opinion the level of coaching we have now should push those to 14-21 point wins. If we're struggling with those types of teams this year or we get smacked around by Clem/A&M (38-3 type beatings) I would be irked.

I think 10-2 is achievable especially if we knock one of clem/a&m off. 11/12 wins are doable if we either catch a lot of breaks or the team has taken a large step forward in consistently playing at an elite level.
This is exactly how I see the season but I would take 15% of 8 wins and add 5% to 9, 10, and 11 wins.

I just don’t see 8 wins without some unusual injuries.

Advertisement

This is a great post. There is risk here. You can't just say the qb will be lights out no matter who the oc is. The oc and offensive scheme matter. A lot.

The 2nd year kids will determine the quality of the WR room. I think we’ll be more than fine, but I have to see it.

Advertisement
Back