Fall Scrimmage number 1 info

Advertisement
Chaney & Rooster have shown to be injury prone. Thad keeps getting mixed reviews, & now it’s rumored Citizen has a hyper extended knee. That leaves us w/ Parrish, who’s a serviceable back, but not great, imo. That’s y I have the disclaimer next to this group.

Regarding DT, I know we have Jackson, but we need another name to step up. We have a lot of Edge & tweeners, but we desperately need Miller, Taylor, Harrison-Hunte to take that next step. But you’re right, I could’ve placed them a rung higher.
Still fair to say that the DL is a big question mark though because the entire **** line is new

I mean it’s a question mark but also something I’m optimistic about if that’s possible

Im trying to not get ahead of myself with how much I love this defensive coaching staff as well

Advertisement
Saying we lose to Clemson and A&M is the same bull we been doing and thinking. Beating one of them and losing to a team we prolly shouldn't sounds better to me
I can get behind this

We just haven’t beaten teams that are more talented than us. Like every team has a fluke here and there but we get in those games and we get walked all over

I think that’s a lot with the coaching so I’m hoping that changes

A one game improvement with this staff, with what we brought in via the portal and with how little we lost? LoL, okay.

Some of you folks still have PTSD. Cristobal is trying to get us to an Alabama level roster and a championship intensity. That's 2 to 3 classes away. That's his benchmark. You need to put it in that context. I guarantee you he is shooting for the conference this season. We will see but we are going to be a much better team this season. Vastly better.

Absolutely. That’s what I keep saying.

He isn’t evaluating this team like Manny. When he critiques the team, he is judging us through the lens of how we stack up as a national title contender.

Advertisement
Sounds like Key Smiff performed as expected.
A213F2BC-29E2-444A-A36F-6769C1439514.gif

We don't need to lose to TA&M. They ended the season unranked last year just like us. They are being catapaulted to #7. We could beat them. We don't really know how good or bad they are. We do know that Jimbo will have them motivated. Can Mario overcome that?

Tyler enters season having thrown for at least 300 yards and 3 TDs in 6 straight games. Only Joe Burrow has longer streak in playoff era. Van Dyke a marketable star for sure - Barry Jackson.

There honestly isn't a ceiling on how good we can be because we don't know how good TVD is going to be with his new coaching, play calling and supporting talent.

11-3 no less than 10-4.

I certainly respect your opinion on this and I'm not going to disagree but let me play devil's advocate.

You mention attrition from past classes and that is a fact but there have also been plenty of additions via the portal. In regards to this issue I'm going to pose a question. Is he this years team/rooster better than last year's team/rooster at the same point in time? To me the answer would be a definite yes. Let's go unit by unit.

QB. We are better at QB simply because they have had another year of experience, Garcia is healthy and another reason I'll come back to later and that's coaching.

RB. We are better here because Knighton has had a year of experience, Chaney is healthy, Franklin has had a year to adjust plus we added a dynamic transfer in Henry Parrish and true freshman phenom Travonte Citizen.

TE. Again we are better because of the addition of elite freshman Skinner plus Arroyo has a year under his belt, Mallory returns and versatility and depth with Brantley and Mammereli.

OL The OL should be significantly better because we return Nelson, Rivers, Clark, Scaife, Campbell, Traore, Washington, McLaughlin, Seymore etc. This isn't necessarily an elite group but we should have a very solid to very good starting 5 and some key depth. In addition to returning the bulk of the unit, we have added some depth and a potential starter at Guard in Dennis and Logan S. The fact that this group is coached by Mirabal/Cristobal, the best OL coaches in the nation will be obvious in the fall.

WR. This is an interesting group. We lost our top 2 playmakers in Rambo and Harley yet a unit that includes Keyshawn Smith, Romello Brinson, Jacolby George, Brashard Smith, Xavier Restrepo, Frank Ladson, Michael Redding, Isaiah Horton and Colby Young is hardly lacking in talent. It is lacking in a clear cut #1 and also lacks that deep threat and the game breaking speed needed to threaten a defense over the top. So while I wouldn't say that this group of WR is a weakness in terms of lacking talent, the lack of game breaking speed on the outside could be a very real Achilles heel of this offense.

DL. Compared to last year's team this is like night and day. Last year's DL was flat out bad by any objective measure lacking any pass rush from the DE position and no ability to stop the run from the DT position. We were thin, weak and undisciplined not to mention poorly coached in an atrocious scheme. A year later, we are deep and well coached able to field 3 units. We brought in 5 transfers and have the retur noning players all healthy and in their best physical condition thanks to S&C coach Aaron Feld.

LB. This has long been the weakest unit on the team but there have been some changes from last year. Last season the Key players were Keontra Smith, Corey Flagg, Waynmon Steed, Ryan Ragone, and Gil Frierson at Striker. This year they all return with some key changes. Gone is the fundamentally unsound Diaz defense that has zero in terms of gap integrity. Instead, Kevin Steele will demand discipline and physicality. Replacing the slow footed Flagg at Mike will be the speedy transfer from UCLA Caleb Johnson. Keontra Smith who played at 203 lb last year is back at 230 LB to competete with true freshman Wesley Bissainthe, Chase Smith, Waynmon Steed, Corey Flagg, Avery Huff and Thomas Davis.

While LB still remains the weakest unit on the team there have been some notable changes and potential improvements. The addition of Caleb Johnson should solidify the Mike position and give us the speed we have been lacking there. With another year under his belt and an added 27 pounds, Keontra Smith should be better equipped to play the physical style demanded by coach Steele. Last year Waynmon Steed began to look like his old self little by little. This year he is finally fully healthy and fully recovered from the knew surgeries that had robbed him of his quickness and speed. Now at 100% it will be fun to watch Steed battle for a starting spot. After 2 years of adjusting to college and dealing with an injury, Chase Smith is finally ready to show what the fan base has been patiently waiting for. He will have every opportunity. Highly touted freshman Wesley Bissainthe will also be in the mix for playing time as will freshman Thomas Davis. Perhaps the most significant difference and improvement is the fact that this LB group will be coached by one of the best LB coaches in the game Charlie Strong. Look for Strong's group to steadily improve as the season goes on. At the end of the season I expect to see a much improved LB corps.

Safety. We are deep and talented at Safety and improved from last year based on the fact that everyone is back. James Williams, Avantae Williams and Kamren Kinchens lead an elite group that could be the best in the nation. Gilbert Frierson, Brian Balom, Keyshawn Washington, Al Blades and Markieth Williams provide excellent depth.

CB. Once again we return everyone from a CB unit who had it's ups and downs last season but has thoroughly embraced the new staff and shocked fans during spring with their drastic improvement. Tyrique Stevenson, DJ Ivey, Tecory Couch, Malik Curtis, Marcus Clarke, Isaiah Dunson, Daryl Porter Jr, Chris Graves, Kamauri Rogers, and Jaden Harris bring a good blend of veteran experience, youth and speed.

It should be noted that we return arguably the best punter in the nation in Louis Hedley and one of the best place kickers in Jose Borregales.

In comparing this year's team to last year's, one of if not the most significant element will be coaching. It is difficult to overstate the overall effect that the upgrade in coaching will have on this squad. Last year, this team was coached by on of the worst staffs in the ACC and in the nation. In one month Mario Cristobal put together what is considered one of the best coaching staffs in all college football. Change will not happen overnight to be sure but the difference between the two staffs should be immediately obvious.

Above I have gone over each unit comparing each to last year at this time. In each case other than WR we are in a better position than last year and for many units the difference is obvious. Add to that the fact that last year's team with a clearly inferior roster and a bad coaching staff managed to win 7 games finishing 7-5.

I'm certainly not going to say that we should go 11-1, win the ACC and make the playoffs. I will say that I would expect to win 9 games in the regular season, win the Coastal, and possibly win the ACCCG then a Bowl game. I have us going 10-4. 9-3 in the regular season, a loss in the ACCCG and a Bowl win. Setting us up for a 12-2 type season in 2023.

OK, u certainly make some very valid points.

Allow me to respond for a moment:

QB: No argument there, at all.

RB: Chaney was healthy last season, & then the injury bug hit him immediately. Rooster hopefully will be used better, but as of right now, taking away the monster game he had against GT, he was a 15 carry, 45 yrds/g RB. While I’m very bullish on Citizen, he’s still a TF. Maybe b/c of Lingard, who we all were very bullish on, I like to temper expectations of incoming freshmen, especially one who is now injured. Thad has a ton of potential, but, we continue to hear mix reviews regarding work ethic.

TE: Again, no argument from me bro. This room is str8 Filthy. Hope Mallory becomes a highly touted draft pick, but even if he don’t, the pups are dogs in this room.

OL: This is still the same group as last season sans Donaldson & Williams. Reports have been they’ve been getting their *** kicked by the DL. So this is a devil’s advocate situation in itself; either
a) Our OL is stout & our DL is that much better
b) Our OL is getting exposed as a weak link or
c) Our OL is a weak link, & it’s making our DL look better than it really is

Of course I hope for situation a), but c) “could” be a possibility as well. That’s y, I’m concerned & wont change my opinion on this until Week 3

WR: Ladson played in a WR favorable offense in Clemson w/ the #1 QB/player drafted in the 2021 draft. Until I see Ladson on the field, I personally dgaf about his 247 HS ranking. While I love TVD, Rambo made TVD a much better QB in the 2nd half. Having that true #1 where u know u can just throw it there way & have a great chance of completing it, makes a world of difference.

Everyone knows I love X & Key. X is a dog, Key has a ton of potential, but he’s been inconsistent in regards to reliability, & for his speed, has a hard time separating himself. For me, this room doesn’t invoke P5 def fear. I’m not seeing a guy a Def has to game plan around, & that’s a concern 4 me, along w/ the continuous report of the dropsies. This is a “show me somethin’”, room.

DL: This is the room I have mixed reviews on. The Edge, I’m happy with. We have an interchangeable group along the line. But, I’m weary of the pocket collapse ability up the gut. U collapse the pocket up the gut, & it makes everyone’s job so much easier. My other concern is a false sense of how good this unit is. We have some really good individual players/potential, but being that they are going up against a OL that appears to be struggling, it gives me both hope & pause which leads to a bit of anxiety. However, this unit, in its entirety, I’m not really worried about.

LB: I’m gravely worried. U mentioned Chase Smith’s name, but we haven’t heard much. Iirc, we actually heard him being a hard gainer, similar to Huff. I’m bullish on Steed b/c he looked like a solid LB towards the end of last yr. Flagg, great football IQ, but as I said during his recruitment, he’s more of G5 product v. a P5 product. Thomas Davis is more of a rush end v. a play in space LB (tweener). Wes is still smallish, and I expect him more on ST & be the man in yr 2. K Smith is an interesting player, and I’m curious how he’ll handle, transition into a full time LB at that weight, at his height. Caleb Johnson is cool, but I don’t see a difference maker w/ him, if imma be honest.

S: Great room & have no concerns here

CB: Stevenson is a stud, can or will Couch go back to the Couch we saw in 2020. Again, I’m cautiously optimistic on the reports on Couch in camp b/c of our WRs inability to separate. So I’m hoping he returns to 2020 form. Ivey always get praise, every yr from every staff, so now we need to see it come to fruition in game. Blades have been a guy who’s going back & forth between S & CB. Frierson is a tweener as well. This group should improve by coaching, but I’m still concerned outside of Stevenson.

ST: No one is complaining about Big Lou, but baby Borreagles needs to show more consistency.

I think everyone is putting all their eggs in the coaching basket. Imo, part of this narrative this CIS theory (when defending Manny) that the 2021 was a play or two away from winning 10 games last season. That’s a straw man’s argument; I can easily say this team was a play or two away from being a 3-4 win team.

Again, I look for marked improvement. This notion that 10-2 is our floor is August, Red Kool-Aid talk. I’m not saying we won’t go 10-2 or even 12-0 yr 1….if @brock can transition from well done to medium well steak, I’m not discounting anything. HOWEVER, the overwhelming data shows majority of yr 1 coaches inheriting a roster in which there is some turnover & culture issues have growing pain.

OK, u certainly make some very valid points.

Allow me to respond for a moment:

QB: No argument there, at all.

RB: Chaney was healthy last season, & then the injury bug hit him immediately. Rooster hopefully will be used better, but as of right now, taking away the monster game he had against GT, he was a 15 carry, 45 yrds/g RB. While I’m very bullish on Citizen, he’s still a TF. Maybe b/c of Lingard, who we all were very bullish on, I like to temper expectations of incoming freshmen, especially one who is now injured. Thad has a ton of potential, but, we continue to hear mix reviews regarding work ethic.

TE: Again, no argument from me bro. This room is str8 Filthy. Hope Mallory becomes a highly touted draft pick, but even if he don’t, the pups are dogs in this room.

OL: This is still the same group as last season sans Donaldson & Williams. Reports have been they’ve been getting their *** kicked by the DL. So this is a devil’s advocate situation in itself; either
a) Our OL is stout & our DL is that much better
b) Our OL is getting exposed as a weak link or
c) Our OL is a weak link, & it’s making our DL look better than it really is

Of course I hope for situation a), but c) “could” be a possibility as well. That’s y, I’m concerned & wont change my opinion on this until Week 3

WR: Ladson played in a WR favorable offense in Clemson w/ the #1 QB/player drafted in the 2021 draft. Until I see Ladson on the field, I personally dgaf about his 247 HS ranking. While I love TVD, Rambo made TVD a much better QB in the 2nd half. Having that true #1 where u know u can just throw it there way & have a great chance of completing it, makes a world of difference.

Everyone knows I love X & Key. X is a dog, Key has a ton of potential, but he’s been inconsistent in regards to reliability, & for his speed, has a hard time separating himself. For me, this room doesn’t invoke P5 def fear. I’m not seeing a guy a Def has to game plan around, & that’s a concern 4 me, along w/ the continuous report of the dropsies. This is a “show me somethin’”, room.

DL: This is the room I have mixed reviews on. The Edge, I’m happy with. We have an interchangeable group along the line. But, I’m weary of the pocket collapse ability up the gut. U collapse the pocket up the gut, & it makes everyone’s job so much easier. My other concern is a false sense of how good this unit is. We have some really good individual players/potential, but being that they are going up against a OL that appears to be struggling, it gives me both hope & pause which leads to a bit of anxiety. However, this unit, in its entirety, I’m not really worried about.

LB: I’m gravely worried. U mentioned Chase Smith’s name, but we haven’t heard much. Iirc, we actually heard him being a hard gainer, similar to Huff. I’m bullish on Steed b/c he looked like a solid LB towards the end of last yr. Flagg, great football IQ, but as I said during his recruitment, he’s more of G5 product v. a P5 product. Thomas Davis is more of a rush end v. a play in space LB (tweener). Wes is still smallish, and I expect him more on ST & be the man in yr 2. K Smith is an interesting player, and I’m curious how he’ll handle, transition into a full time LB at that weight, at his height. Caleb Johnson is cool, but I don’t see a difference maker w/ him, if imma be honest.

S: Great room & have no concerns here

CB: Stevenson is a stud, can or will Couch go back to the Couch we saw in 2020. Again, I’m cautiously optimistic on the reports on Couch in camp b/c of our WRs inability to separate. So I’m hoping he returns to 2020 form. Ivey always get praise, every yr from every staff, so now we need to see it come to fruition in game. Blades have been a guy who’s going back & forth between S & CB. Frierson is a tweener as well. This group should improve by coaching, but I’m still concerned outside of Stevenson.

ST: No one is complaining about Big Lou, but baby Borreagles needs to show more consistency.

I think everyone is putting all their eggs in the coaching basket. Imo, part of this narrative this CIS theory (when defending Manny) that the 2021 was a play or two away from winning 10 games last season. That’s a straw man’s argument; I can easily say this team was a play or two away from being a 3-4 win team.

Again, I look for marked improvement. This notion that 10-2 is our floor is August, Red Kool-Aid talk. I’m not saying we won’t go 10-2 or even 12-0 yr 1….if @brock can transition from well done to medium well steak, I’m not discounting anything. HOWEVER, the overwhelming data shows majority of yr 1 coaches inheriting a roster in which there is some turnover & culture issues have growing pain.
You’ll rue the day you doubted Key Smiff you… you… you… Adidas hating savage! He’s off and running with a strong handoff.

9D2AFBF5-3A11-401F-B8EA-92C47009F975.gif

Advertisement
2016, Richt lost us unc and nd himself. Fsu was a hard fought toss up. The defense was depleted in Virginia tech, but Richt gave us ZERO chance to win a shootout with his very bad playcalling.

I don’t see this staff losing us three games. We could go 8-4 with some bad breaks. I think we beat aTm. No way we lose four if that happens unless there is a BAD run of injuries.

Ain’t none of these teams beating us with no scrub *** quarterback. Kevin Steele and Charlie Strong are our dcs. Our secondary is big and physical. They are a serious problem for the vast majority of teams on our schedule. Most of the games will be much easier for our receivers too.
2014 team:
-UVA (5-7)
-Pitt (6-7)
Team morale plummeted after the close 2014 loss to FSU. Miami had entered that game 6-3, lost by four, and was roughed up as well. It was a thin roster due to attrition and NCAA sanctions and could not absorb losses well.

2015 team:
-Cincy (7-6 G5 team)
That one infuriated me. It was a home game - a Friday night game I believe - for the Bearcats and their fans were very, very hyped up. What made it even worse was that some of their best players were in street clothes, and they made mincemeat of 3-0 Miami's defense. Ironically it was this game that finally made me give up on Golden.

2016 team:
-ND (4-8)
The team was badly beaten up after the Florida State game. We lost three games after FSU primarily due to the number of Miami players who could not participate.

2017 team:
-Pitt (5-7)
I went to the movies that day and came out to find the Miami had lost. We lost our tight end that day and our offense completely bogged down. Richt was flip flopping quarterbacks that day, trying to get somethjng, anything going.

2018 team:
-GT (7-6)
Some key turnovers by Miami, playing without any tight ends and trying to go shotgun the entire game, and generally representative of the complete collapse in the offense that the Hurricanes saw in the second half of the 2018 season. Also, with over six minutes left in the game GA Tech was abl to run out the clock!

2019 team:

-UNC (7-6)
We came out unprepared it seemed, and spotted UNC a 17-0 first quarter lead.

-GT (3-9)
If we played that game 9 more times we'd win it 9 more times. Georgia Tech executed on some low ratio trick plays and we missed numerous chip shot field goals.

-FIU (6-7 G5)
Quarterback play. My blame for Manny and Enos is not immediately benching their QB that night and going with Kosi.

-Duke (5-7)
Horrible offense reached its nadir. Players had perhaps checked out and the rest of the CFB knew exactly how to exploit Miami's historically weak offensive line and defend the Enos scheme

2020 team:
-UNC (8-4)
Mack Brown had Manny's weakening defense figured out. And to be fair, he had two (likely) starting NFL running backs on his team.

2021 team:
-UVA (6-6)
Bad defense coupled with complete inexperience by Van Dyke.

-UNC (6-7)
Bad defense coupled with inexperience by Van Dyke.

-FSU (5-7)
Riled up FSU exploited a weak Miami defense. As with so many games, Miami gave up a lot of points early and had to struggle to catch up.

Honestly, if you look at the half time score of every game last season it was bad. Miami only led in 4 out of 12 games at half time

Half-Time:
Alabama 27, Miami 3
App State 14, Miami 12
Mich State 10, Miami 7
Miami 49, C Ct State 0
Virginia 16, Miami 7
UNC 31, Miami 17
NC State 17, Miami 14
Miami 31, Pitt 14
GA Tech 17, Miami 17
FSU 20, Miami 7
Miami 28, VA Tech 13
Miami 30, Duke 10

Second half was better.

Second Half Scoring:
Alabama 17, Miami 10
Miami 13, App State 9
Mich State 28, Miami 10
Miami 20, C State 0
Miami 21, Virginia 14
Miami 25, UNC 14
Miami 17, NC State 13

Pitt 17, Miami 7
Miami 16, GA Tech 9
Miami 21, FSU 11

VA Tech 13, Miami 10
Miami 17, Duke 0

The difference between now and the years past are two things.

1. We have a legitimate QB who is actually a top QB prospect. When is the last time we have had that, and don’t come at TrumpyCane with Brad Kaaya, he was never a Top QB prospect. TVD will be the best QB in every game we play, when’s the last time we could’ve said that?

2. The coaching staff. TrumpyCane isn’t even going to bring up Mario in this point. Our coaching staff is ELITE. Proven OC/DC with proven position coaches down to the ST coach which isn’t even technically there. We have a better coaching staff Top to bottom than every single team we play except maybe A&M
We’ve had a lot of great QBs here

But TVDs an actual game changer. I don’t want to start throwing around crazy talk, but he’s an element to this team that most fans here have never seen in their lifetimes

Advertisement
Disagree heavily on the roster. Every single position has two players that can get it done. WR is the question mark but not because it’s bad but because we don’t see a top dog. You can easily win without a top dog receiver when you have the quarterback we do.

Also a someone who works in a “Culture” type business, culture changes VERY fast once you get rid of people like Manny, Nesta and others.

It depends on how ingrained the culture damage is. It easy to begin the change and get incremental results but it takes time for the culture to spread through an organization and really take root.

It just like that on and off conversation about "swagger". If you don't have the scalps on your belt, that Manny and Nesta nonsense of "We're Miami", talking brash and puffing your chest out is nothing more than weak bravado that everyone sees through and is subject to mockery. It really comes organically from getting results over and over again despite any obstacles of which there will be many.

We're still a long way from that.

We’re the only team in the ACC that has what we have in the two deep, at QB and on staff.

While any record is possible from 0-12 to 12-0, but even the two big teams on our schedule have bigger question marks than we do (A&M DC and QB, culture / CLEM with QB and no Venables, RB).

We can’t all agree QB is the biggest chess piece in sports then say teams with massive QB question marks like the mentioned, UNC and PITT are bigger threats to us than we are to them.

10-2 is the floor. I

Bro, I’ve been on Key. Lol. But he needs to take that next step w/ consistency, & not just flash.

He needs to get much stronger too (and I’m sure he/the staff knows this) ….

I was shown some all 22 tape of him, stuff we can’t really see on TV and buddy, often he got absolutely STONED a ton at the LOS when pressed. He was taken to the sideline on some plays and could not free himself, it was surprising to see. I’m sure TAMU will see this and try to bully him. If he can get better at his release and actually have the opportunity to get vertical then he can be an even bigger threat as IMO we have only seen a small percentage of what he can do. Year 3 for him, hopefully he can take that next step. He is one of the few we have that can get behind a secondary.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back