Fall Scrimmage number 1 info

I think based upon reports, WR is still a cause of concern.

OL will be moved up once Zion comes back, but right now, under its current juncture, I’m concerned, honestly.

LB, again based upon reports, is still a concern 4 me.

DT seems to have one guy who fits the bill in Jackson, but the room as a whole is not giving me that confidence I’ve felt since Norton, McIntosh, & Willis gave. But, I think I was a bit harsh on them.

Again, these r just my opinions, except the Superior group. That’s our strongest foundational piece.
NEVER Discount belief when it comes to BELIEVING IN A NEW STAFF & them winning games like Texas A&M. Jimbo's not blowing anybody out. If we're sound we're going to give Max Johnson a game

Advertisement
Disagree heavily on the roster. Every single position has two players that can get it done. WR is the question mark but not because it’s bad but because we don’t see a top dog. You can easily win without a top dog receiver when you have the quarterback we do.

Also a someone who works in a “Culture” type business, culture changes VERY fast once you get rid of people like Manny, Nesta and others.

We’re the only team in the ACC that has what we have in the two deep, at QB and on staff.

While any record is possible from 0-12 to 12-0, but even the two big teams on our schedule have bigger question marks than we do (A&M DC and QB, culture / CLEM with QB and no Venables, RB).

We can’t all agree QB is the biggest chess piece in sports then say teams with massive QB question marks like the mentioned, UNC and PITT are bigger threats to us than we are to them.

10-2 is the floor. I

Well, let’s just hope this floor of urs is hard wood & not 1960’s linoleum.

NEVER Discount belief when it comes to BELIEVING IN A NEW STAFF & them winning games like Texas A&M. Jimbo's not blowing anybody out. If we're sound we're going to get Max Johnson a game

Belief, hope…two of the most powerful mental drugs.

Again, I fully expect this team to be night & day better, but we have holes for sure. Those holes can bite us.

Advertisement
I certainly respect your opinion on this and I'm not going to disagree but let me play devil's advocate.

You mention attrition from past classes and that is a fact but there have also been plenty of additions via the portal. In regards to this issue I'm going to pose a question. Is he this years team/rooster better than last year's team/rooster at the same point in time? To me the answer would be a definite yes. Let's go unit by unit.

QB. We are better at QB simply because they have had another year of experience, Garcia is healthy and another reason I'll come back to later and that's coaching.

RB. We are better here because Knighton has had a year of experience, Chaney is healthy, Franklin has had a year to adjust plus we added a dynamic transfer in Henry Parrish and true freshman phenom Travonte Citizen.

TE. Again we are better because of the addition of elite freshman Skinner plus Arroyo has a year under his belt, Mallory returns and versatility and depth with Brantley and Mammereli.

OL The OL should be significantly better because we return Nelson, Rivers, Clark, Scaife, Campbell, Traore, Washington, McLaughlin, Seymore etc. This isn't necessarily an elite group but we should have a very solid to very good starting 5 and some key depth. In addition to returning the bulk of the unit, we have added some depth and a potential starter at Guard in Dennis and Logan S. The fact that this group is coached by Mirabal/Cristobal, the best OL coaches in the nation will be obvious in the fall.

WR. This is an interesting group. We lost our top 2 playmakers in Rambo and Harley yet a unit that includes Keyshawn Smith, Romello Brinson, Jacolby George, Brashard Smith, Xavier Restrepo, Frank Ladson, Michael Redding, Isaiah Horton and Colby Young is hardly lacking in talent. It is lacking in a clear cut #1 and also lacks that deep threat and the game breaking speed needed to threaten a defense over the top. So while I wouldn't say that this group of WR is a weakness in terms of lacking talent, the lack of game breaking speed on the outside could be a very real Achilles heel of this offense.

DL. Compared to last year's team this is like night and day. Last year's DL was flat out bad by any objective measure lacking any pass rush from the DE position and no ability to stop the run from the DT position. We were thin, weak and undisciplined not to mention poorly coached in an atrocious scheme. A year later, we are deep and well coached able to field 3 units. We brought in 5 transfers and have the retur noning players all healthy and in their best physical condition thanks to S&C coach Aaron Feld.

LB. This has long been the weakest unit on the team but there have been some changes from last year. Last season the Key players were Keontra Smith, Corey Flagg, Waynmon Steed, Ryan Ragone, and Gil Frierson at Striker. This year they all return with some key changes. Gone is the fundamentally unsound Diaz defense that has zero in terms of gap integrity. Instead, Kevin Steele will demand discipline and physicality. Replacing the slow footed Flagg at Mike will be the speedy transfer from UCLA Caleb Johnson. Keontra Smith who played at 203 lb last year is back at 230 LB to competete with true freshman Wesley Bissainthe, Chase Smith, Waynmon Steed, Corey Flagg, Avery Huff and Thomas Davis.

While LB still remains the weakest unit on the team there have been some notable changes and potential improvements. The addition of Caleb Johnson should solidify the Mike position and give us the speed we have been lacking there. With another year under his belt and an added 27 pounds, Keontra Smith should be better equipped to play the physical style demanded by coach Steele. Last year Waynmon Steed began to look like his old self little by little. This year he is finally fully healthy and fully recovered from the knew surgeries that had robbed him of his quickness and speed. Now at 100% it will be fun to watch Steed battle for a starting spot. After 2 years of adjusting to college and dealing with an injury, Chase Smith is finally ready to show what the fan base has been patiently waiting for. He will have every opportunity. Highly touted freshman Wesley Bissainthe will also be in the mix for playing time as will freshman Thomas Davis. Perhaps the most significant difference and improvement is the fact that this LB group will be coached by one of the best LB coaches in the game Charlie Strong. Look for Strong's group to steadily improve as the season goes on. At the end of the season I expect to see a much improved LB corps.

Safety. We are deep and talented at Safety and improved from last year based on the fact that everyone is back. James Williams, Avantae Williams and Kamren Kinchens lead an elite group that could be the best in the nation. Gilbert Frierson, Brian Balom, Keyshawn Washington, Al Blades and Markieth Williams provide excellent depth.

CB. Once again we return everyone from a CB unit who had it's ups and downs last season but has thoroughly embraced the new staff and shocked fans during spring with their drastic improvement. Tyrique Stevenson, DJ Ivey, Tecory Couch, Malik Curtis, Marcus Clarke, Isaiah Dunson, Daryl Porter Jr, Chris Graves, Kamauri Rogers, and Jaden Harris bring a good blend of veteran experience, youth and speed.

It should be noted that we return arguably the best punter in the nation in Louis Hedley and one of the best place kickers in Jose Borregales.

In comparing this year's team to last year's, one of if not the most significant element will be coaching. It is difficult to overstate the overall effect that the upgrade in coaching will have on this squad. Last year, this team was coached by on of the worst staffs in the ACC and in the nation. In one month Mario Cristobal put together what is considered one of the best coaching staffs in all college football. Change will not happen overnight to be sure but the difference between the two staffs should be immediately obvious.

Above I have gone over each unit comparing each to last year at this time. In each case other than WR we are in a better position than last year and for many units the difference is obvious. Add to that the fact that last year's team with a clearly inferior roster and a bad coaching staff managed to win 7 games finishing 7-5.

I'm certainly not going to say that we should go 11-1, win the ACC and make the playoffs. I will say that I would expect to win 9 games in the regular season, win the Coastal, and possibly win the ACCCG then a Bowl game. I have us going 10-4. 9-3 in the regular season, a loss in the ACCCG and a Bowl win. Setting us up for a 12-2 type season in 2023.
great post. 1 thing I would add is that we forget that this time last year we were still concerned about whether D’eriq King’s knee was fully recovered. So less question marks this year means overall better outlook.

I think OL is going to surprise us. For the first time since those early 2010’s we actually have a starting OL of mostly NFL guys, the coaches seem to be really high on Campbell and if he can emerge to be the best on the line even over Nelson, Clark and Scaife. We now have great coaching in Mirabel, Mario, and Bain.

I don’t think LB is going to be a weakness. Teams don’t play 3 LB’s any more. Rotating K. Smith, Johnson, Chase Smith, Wesley, and Steed could give us a pretty solid group.
Plus Charlie Strong is coaching the LBs.

Advertisement
Honestly can’t believe with this staff and this QB people on here are so quick to concede 3-4 losses.
wedding crashers comedy GIF

Justin Fuente walks into VT first season, boom 9-3 and almost upset Clemson in the ACCCG. Mark Richt, 8-4. In the same division that has had upheaval at almost every single team.

20 year PTSD. Mario did a 5 game improvement in 1st season at Oregon. Calling 3 or 4 here is not crazy.

Advertisement
I think based upon reports, WR is still a cause of concern.

OL will be moved up once Zion comes back, but right now, under its current juncture, I’m concerned, honestly.

LB, again based upon reports, is still a concern 4 me.

DT seems to have one guy who fits the bill in Jackson, but the room as a whole is not giving me that confidence I’ve felt since Norton, McIntosh, & Willis gave. But, I think I was a bit harsh on them.

Again, these r just my opinions, except the Superior group. That’s our strongest foundational piece.
What are you hearing on LB DT? I’ve heard LB is hitting heavy and that trust is developing there.

I kinda of feel you on DT. The talent there is legit (LT, DJ, Moultrie, JHH) but I think what’s missing is the aggression that a Sillis brought. May just be a comfort thing.

OL to your point gotta show us the running lanes. Gattis will help, and I think having the OL coaches we have will help.

I like the talent at OL though. Campbell, Zion, Rivers, Clark, and a ton of guard options.

Guys wasn't this 1st scrimmage scripted. I read somewhere it was supposed to be 150 plays. The reason I mentioned this is because from my experience with scrimmages like this they are very controlled. From the personnel, Game situations, etc. I think it's easy for certain information shared to get taken out of context. Not sure how much Gattis showed yesterday, hopefully we are more 60/40 pass than the "Ground and Pound" attack most are alluding to. Also on the other hand we should get a better feel for who will be in the 2 deep on both sides of the ball this week. The 2nd scrimmage will tell us who we are and who we are not going into week 1.
That you Antonio?

Well, let’s just hope this floor of urs is hard wood & not 1960’s linoleum.
If I had to put percentages to it here's where I would land (only regular season games):

8 wins: 20%
9 wins: 50%
10 wins: 20%
11 wins: 5%
12 wins: 5 %

I think 8-4 is our floor and 12-0 is our ceiling with 9-3 being most likely. 8-4 in my opinion would be a disappointment given that we would have only improved by 1 game after all the resources that have been poured into the program. You have to think a 2 game improvement is at least par in this situation.

9-3 in my mind means we lost to both Clem/A&M and stumbled on an ACC game OR lost to 1 of Clem/A&M and stumbled twice in the ACC. To me the key here is how we look both in our losses and wins. I want to see us be competitive in the big games and handle our business with inferior teams. We beat GT 33-30 last year and App State 25-23. In my opinion the level of coaching we have now should push those to 14-21 point wins. If we're struggling with those types of teams this year or we get smacked around by Clem/A&M (38-3 type beatings) I would be irked.

I think 10-2 is achievable especially if we knock one of clem/a&m off. 11/12 wins are doable if we either catch a lot of breaks or the team has taken a large step forward in consistently playing at an elite level.

Advertisement
If I had to put percentages to it here's where I would land (only regular season games):

8 wins: 20%
9 wins: 50%
10 wins: 20%
11 wins: 5%
12 wins: 5 %

I think 8-4 is our floor and 12-0 is our ceiling with 9-3 being most likely. 8-4 in my opinion would be a disappointment given that we would have only improved by 1 game after all the resources that have been poured into the program. You have to think a 2 game improvement is at least par in this situation.

9-3 in my mind means we lost to both Clem/A&M and stumbled on an ACC game OR lost to 1 of Clem/A&M and stumbled twice in the ACC. To me the key here is how we look both in our losses and wins. I want to see us be competitive in the big games and handle our business with inferior teams. We beat GT 33-30 last year and App State 25-23. In my opinion the level of coaching we have now should push those to 14-21 point wins. If we're struggling with those types of teams this year or we get smacked around by Clem/A&M (38-3 type beatings) I would be irked.

I think 10-2 is achievable especially if we knock one of clem/a&m off. 11/12 wins are doable if we either catch a lot of breaks or the team has taken a large step forward in consistently playing at an elite level.
I like this.

Mario appears like a str8 shooter v. a salesman. The msg has been pretty consistent. I don’t think he’s being disingenuous or trying to temper expectations vs. being str8 fwd w/ us.

A lot of objective fans have said 8-9 wins yr 1. I’m sticking w/ 8 wins Reg season & a post season win yr 1. @Hurricane Warrior just bumped his threads in the “Recruiting” forum, reminding us of the shear attrition we’ve had from these past classes who were supposed to either pass the torch or be in a position to lead. Couple that w/ the combination of guys who just didn’t/haven’t panned out, & what we have is an inconsistent roster. We’re strong in some areas, serviceable in others, & yyyyyyyyyikes at others.

W/ that type of roster + a deplorable culture that’s been ingrained w/in the program for the past 7 yrs?? Whether fans realize it or not, but this is a semi-rebuild.
100%

I’m trying not to let my insane excitement for the future cloud the spot we are in right now

But there’s a lot to be excited about this year as well

Can’t wait

Advertisement
Back