Fall Scrimmage number 1 info

Advertisement
It’s so funny when people say we have no depth or difference makers at every position… Do y’all think the rest of the ACC have depth and difference makers at EVERY position and we don’t? I mean we recruit A LOT better than every team other than Clemson in the conference. Maybe UNC since Brown got there is the closest. We have much better depth than any of them yet we can’t beat them all smh. They had much better coaching and development and now we have the best staff and best recruiting in the conference. I’d be disappointed if we did not win all of our conference games and went to the ACCG!
I think everyone is just worried about WR. Dee Wiggins would have a really really good chance of starting on this team. Atleast he had the deep speed and was 50 50 on catching it.

Advertisement
I just want to see what happens when we get punched in the mouth.

For all its problems and all the talk of poor culture, these guys didn’t lay down last year. That is a HUGE deal.

Saban kicked our *** and called off the dogs but even with his back ups, that game would have been 60 or 70 to nothing if we had layed down.

We fought MSU for three quarters but the superior leadership of their coach and losing our leader in King was too much to overcome. We faded against one of the best running backs in the country with a freshman quarterback thrown to the wolves trying to find himself.

Every other game, win or lose, we fought to the very end. This team has charecter. The only team with potential to make us lay down is Clemson. I don’t see us losing any game by more than 20. I think we play everyone, including Clemson within two scores. No blowout losses unless we get catastrophic injury numbers.

Oh I agree with 9-3 but he said 4 Ls just trying to see what teams he see us losing to. I think y’all are just looking at our flaws and not the competition. We still have more talent than 10 of the 12 teams on the schedule. Now does that mean we win obviously not
THIS.

It's one thing to be a non-homer, but it's another thing to be realist.

Through all those **** portal additions, the completely overhauled staff and the guys poised to take the next step this season... I go with 9-3.

There's simply not 4 teams on our schedule that are better than us. Doesn't mean they can't beat us, and honestly if Manny were running the show I'd go with 7-5. BTW - If not for inept coaching last year, Manny had 9-3 gift wrapped for him...

Way too many offseason improvements to only improve results by one game. 9-3 with losses to ATM, Clemson and end of season fatigue loss to Pitt.

Advertisement
Chaney & Rooster have shown to be injury prone. Thad keeps getting mixed reviews, & now it’s rumored Citizen has a hyper extended knee. That leaves us w/ Parrish, who’s a serviceable back, but not great, imo. That’s y I have the disclaimer next to this group.

Regarding DT, I know we have Jackson, but we need another name to step up. We have a lot of Edge & tweeners, but we desperately need Miller, Taylor, Harrison-Hunte to take that next step. But you’re right, I could’ve placed them a rung higher.

That's solid reasoning, fam. I respect those takes

He was garbage. 358 yards was his best season. Keyshawn as a true freshman was just as good as that. Brinson, George, Smith and Restrepo would out produce him if they got as many snaps as he did.
He wasn't good at all but outside of Keyshawn those other four haven't come close to proving being deep threats and opening up the field.

Advertisement
A reminder to all that it will take time to build a champion. So many people think this thing is turnkey; just add Mario and a bunch of new coaches and the Canes are back.

Old habits die hard and not all players from a past regime are going to be up to the standard of this staff. There's a reason it takes most coaches a few years to instill a new culture and build a roster full of their guys.

There will be a significant step forward this fall—if nothing else, due to the fact the Canes won't lose the kinds of games they did to sub-par ACC teams, where coaching failed—but this brash mentality that Miami will just roll into Texas A&M or Clemson and waltz out victorious is silly. Winnable games, but will take perfect storms for both to happen—which hasn't been the case since smoking Notre Dame in 2017.

This program is now 28-34 since that 10-0 start in 2017—and had its lunch eaten by any real teams it's played (Alabama, 44-13 and Clemson, 42-17). Need to win all winnable games this year, show up big on the main stage (win, or lose) and pass the eye test conditioning-wise—no more getting gassed and outlasted by Big Ten teams, a la Michigan State last year or Wisconsin in some recent bowl games. Holding up "four fingers" needs to actually mean something and work again. Tired of seeing the Canes dragging *** late-game over the years.

The difference between now and the years past are two things.

1. We have a legitimate QB who is actually a top QB prospect. When is the last time we have had that, and don’t come at TrumpyCane with Brad Kaaya, he was never a Top QB prospect. TVD will be the best QB in every game we play, when’s the last time we could’ve said that?

2. The coaching staff. TrumpyCane isn’t even going to bring up Mario in this point. Our coaching staff is ELITE. Proven OC/DC with proven position coaches down to the ST coach which isn’t even technically there. We have a better coaching staff Top to bottom than every single team we play except maybe A&M

Brethern, allow me to furnish u w/ our “head scratching” losses since 2014:

2014 team:
-UVA (5-7)
-Pitt (6-7)

2015 team:
-Cincy (7-6 G5 team)

2016 team:
-ND (4-8)

2017 team:
-Pitt (5-7)

2018 team:
-GT (7-6)

2019 team:
-UNC (7-6)
-GT (3-9)
-FIU (6-7 G5)
-Duke (5-7)

2020 team:
-UNC (8-4)

2021 team:
-UVA (6-6)
-UNC (6-7)
-FSU (5-7)

Verdict? Brotha, I have no clue. Even w/ Richt here, who spoke about our culture, we had head scratching losses. So despite Mario being here, demanding excellence, again w/ holes on the roster + a culture that’ll need a complete overhaul + a new playbook w/ only 7-8 months at work? I dunno, bro. I’m looking at things from a logical standpoint & not O&G glasses.

I expect growing pains, which will make us feared in yr 2, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we dropped one of those “WTF?” games on the yr. If we win 10+ or are in the ACCCG by hook or crook in yr 1, then be pleasantly surprised. Again, just don’t get down “if” we finish the season w/ 8-9 wins.
There ain’t no way we lost to Duke in 2019. That just can’t be true

Advertisement
The difference between now and the years past are two things.

1. We have a legitimate QB who is actually a top QB prospect. When is the last time we have had that, and don’t come at TrumpyCane with Brad Kaaya, he was never a Top QB prospect. TVD will be the best QB in every game we play, when’s the last time we could’ve said that?

2. The coaching staff. TrumpyCane isn’t even going to bring up Mario in this point. Our coaching staff is ELITE. Proven OC/DC with proven position coaches down to the ST coach which isn’t even technically there. We have a better coaching staff Top to bottom than every single team we play except maybe A&M
Agree with all. Regardless I am trying to temper expectations untill game results prove otherwise.

I was listening at a Ohio St podcast. Their OL coach, said they got 5 guys who can play. Point is, every team has these issues. Bad coaches have made us look worse than we have been. What are our opponents weaknesses? Why are they gonna maximize their strengths and beat us but we can't? 20 years and all that.

yes.

We’re on the exact same page:

Superior:
-QB room
-TE room
-S room

Solid:
-DE

Optimistic:
-DB (b/c of coaching)
-RB (if they can stay healthy, can be moved to Superior)

Cause For Concern:
LB
WR
DT
OL (depth, fit across entire line)

Not that anyone cares... but...

I think our DBs will be much improved because of a major increase on QB pressure this year. Manny had the number 1 passing D the year our line was at its best. Our DL depth should really make a diff in the 4th. Stopping the run will be a question mark for us on D.

My biggest worry and I dont care how much people talk about it... is our OLs ability to run block. Until I see it... them ******* are still a top 15 in the ACC run blocking line. That means too many frustrating 3 and outs because we couldn't pick up two yards.

Our major step up on O will be because of a bigger focus on TEs but I expect a step down from TVD because he lost his go to guys and now has to rely on dudes who drop. I expect more leadership and better accuracy but plenty of frustrated moments and less big plays.

I'm optimistic about the record because of a weak coastal, but I am def not trying to drink the koolaid (until after the A&M game).

Advertisement
Back