Devaughn Mortimer, WR Dillard '22

Advertisement
Until we hit on kids like this in our backyard, we won’t get to the next level. Huge miss. Kinda miss that comes back to bite you because he was a sleeper recruit. What I liked most about him was aside from his speed, he has good body control. Speed+body control=kills. He was an absolute take. We need to hit on kids like this first.

Advertisement
Until we hit on kids like this in our backyard, we won’t get to the next level. Huge miss. Kinda miss that comes back to bite you because he was a sleeper recruit. What I liked most about him was aside from his speed, he has good body control. Speed+body control=kills. He was an absolute take. We need to hit on kids like this first.
I feel that. All that is true But u can’t take em all. That’s always been the case. Like I said you can’t be mad at the hauls as recruits. Especially last cycle. This cycle admittedly skill talent is down In south Florida. But the OOS kids were prioritizing are just as intriguing. That’s my only point. If you pop in the film of the GA kid, the Tenn kid and the jit from palmetto u cat tell me they not Miami caliber players

I feel that. All that is true But u can’t take em all. That’s always been the case. Like I said you can’t be mad at the hauls as recruits. Especially last cycle. This cycle admittedly skill talent is down In south Florida. But the OOS kids were prioritizing are just as intriguing. That’s my only point. If you pop in the film of the GA kid, the Tenn kid and the jit from palmetto u cat tell me they not Miami caliber players

Yea, of course you can’t take them all and yes, we did well this last cycle. My thing is you want to create local pipelines to dissuade outsiders from making strong recruiting inroads here especially with the mercenary mentality these SFLA kids have. If we keep more local kids home, it can’t possibly start a trend of “hometown loyalty” here. It hurts when Dillard/St Thomas/ kids are pegged for Auburn/OState before UM. That ultimately falls on relationships with coaches which is strengthen by identifying local recruits that don’t have national profiles that are UM caliber. He hit on more on those more often, and we’re in better shape.

Yea, of course you can’t take them all and yes, we did well this last cycle. My thing is you want to create local pipelines to dissuade outsiders from making strong recruiting inroads here especially with the mercenary mentality these SFLA kids have. If we keep more local kids home, it can’t possibly start a trend of “hometown loyalty” here. It hurts when Dillard/St Thomas/ kids are pegged for Auburn/OState before UM. That ultimately falls on relationships with coaches which is strengthen by identifying local recruits that don’t have national profiles that are UM caliber. He hit on more on those more often, and we’re in better shape.
Our SFL class percentage has been really high. It's actually at the point I'm happy we are looking OOS because we have been getting classes of 70-80% local. Our best teams were a good mix from everywhere. Not saying anything about this kid just that we have toys to all of those schools and pull kids from them.

There were some guys on here who know local high school football who were calling for Elijah Moore. Can’t remember who but there was definitely a contingent.
Wanted them to take him at WR and bad. Was high on him from his days at Western. Worked with the same coaches in off-season during high school as our boy Restrepo did too. The fact we took another WR late and one from out of state at the end of that cycle was a black eye.

Advertisement
Well, Elijah more was a after thought nobody saw what he did at ole miss coming..hindsight is great tho. Nobody, absolutely nobody had a issue with that 2018 WR haul. Wish we had gotten Tutu but thought was he wanted a chance to play QB...as for this topic, Lashlee, likens and the staff in general clearly have Jackson, the GA kid and the tenn kid as guys they like...so what’s the issue exactly. You view this kid as a can’t miss?
I had qualms with two of the receivers we took in that class and one being a fringe take when there was better locally, and some of the other staff writers here knew that from private conversations or some openly here on the board. I take the bow on Pope, he did not develop into a solid player I thought he would be. Not all guys pan out, but that WR class was a massive fumble with the guys who were available in the area and would have came here if they pursued like they should have.

Moore and Atwell were no brainers.

More on topic though, been keeping tabs on this kid for two years. He earned an invite to the UA game last off-season before covid shortened season. This will be one people say “why’d we let him go” if we don’t throw our hat in, which I believe we should have a while ago. If the camp circuit was around he would be tearing it up.

Mortimer to me is a take....but the staff appears to be targeting a speedster (Buford kid or MikeJack), a polished route runner pure WR type, and a kid in the Brinson/Redding mold to play outside. To me the Tennessee kid or the huge kid named Gibson would be the big outside WR, Buford kid is Plan A and Mike Jack is Plan B, and IMO Mortimer or Ibeita is the pure WR we need....

Ultimately I think we get 3 WRs:

Buford speedster
Landon Ibeita (think that's how you spell it)
Gibson

Quan Lee is a wildcard because it appears we're out front for him per his top 8...but imo our 2021 WR class should be the floor and what we get on avg...to me QLee is a small step below and I have the 3 aforementioned kids slightly ranked above him.

Mortimer to me is a take....but the staff appears to be targeting a speedster (Buford kid or MikeJack), a polished route runner pure WR type, and a kid in the Brinson/Redding mold to play outside. To me the Tennessee kid or the huge kid named Gibson would be the big outside WR, Buford kid is Plan A and Mike Jack is Plan B, and IMO Mortimer or Ibeita is the pure WR we need....

Ultimately I think we get 3 WRs:

Buford speedster
Landon Ibeita (think that's how you spell it)
Gibson

Quan Lee is a wildcard because it appears we're out front for him per his top 8...but imo our 2021 WR class should be the floor and what we get on avg...to me QLee is a small step below and I have the 3 aforementioned kids slightly ranked above him.
Yes you spelled it correct. IF they land Bond and Gibson is great and I do like Ibieta. Think it’s a mistake not even pursuing Mortimer to begin with though, he should be a take. Numbers appear to be 3 for this class, they could slide with 2 though as 2023 is the best crop in the local area in some time.

Advertisement
Yes you spelled it correct. IF they land Bond and Gibson is great and I do like Ibieta. Think it’s a mistake not even pursuing Mortimer to begin with though, he should be a take. Numbers appear to be 3 for this class, they could slide with 2 though as 2023 is the best crop in the local area in some time.
I would rather Miami go 2 wr this cycle csz holy cow the next cycle is absolutely loaded the “lower tier “ next year is better than “upper tier this year”

Advertisement
Mortimer and Avari Marshall should both be offered imo

I like J-A-C and Mike Jax as well, but I can understand waiting.

Advertisement
Back