Devaughn Mortimer, WR Dillard '22

Advertisement
How many WR do you think Miami brings in for the ‘22 class?

Devaughn is an under the radar kid with very good speed, runs an unofficial 4.44 40 & ran a 10.82 in the 100m last year, also ran a 10.9 earlier this year in the Outdoors back in March.

He was one of the main offensive catalyst for that Dillard squad that the late great Coach Frasier lead to a 12-1 record in 2019, he had 12TD's & was always a big play game breaker with raw skills.

To be as fast as he is, he's a super smooth runner, looks likes he's gliding into the 2nd level of the Defense, he's got effortless lateral movement & change of direction. They don't ask him to run very many sophisticated routes, he basically just does 9's & Bubble screens, but he's always a threat to house it & score. He runs with good contact balance & has good hands. Physically he of course add more weight being that he's only 160lbs but he's built like a typical undersized Slot WR that has the frame to bulk up & be an effective matchup challenge out the slot.

I know of 3 Broward coaches who speak highly of him, Coach Swain, Coach Willie Hill (former Stranahan track star that played at CMU) & Coach Toriano Morgan (current OC at VA State & former Dillard HC & alum) all rave about his ability & work ethic. A Roosevelt Gardens boy that loves to compete.

He's a kid that will kill it once the camp circuit open back up, he's built to make CB's look silly in the one on one camp setting & would definitely be someone that needs an invite to Paradise Camp if we're allowed to have it next year.
I believe he played for Go-Getter 7v7 last year, but I'm not 100% sure.

Been picking up steam with offers from TAMU, AZ St, Kentucky & Cuse. Reminds me of Mike Harley with more consistent hands. Definite sleeper WR that I wouldn't mind taking in the 22 class.

And with Coach Hickson on staff we would absolutely be able to get him if we wanted him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I like seeing the Fort Lauderdale high schools produce talent & win games! **** Gibbons, STA & Heritage haha. Dillard is historically a Auburn/Ohio State school though right?

Yeah but we can get kids there if we try. Our RB coach Hickson went to Dillard and has good relationships there and one of Dillard's alums that played at Auburn and has some pull in the county coaches at Hallandale now and was a teammate at Auburn of TRob so that's working in our favor as well.

Probably only take what, 1-2 WR’s this class? I prefer the Jackson kid if we are going for the local undersized speedster. I think we can be picky here. Kid does look good though.

Advertisement
Probably only take what, 1-2 WR’s this class? I prefer the Jackson kid if we are going for the local undersized speedster. I think we can be picky here. Kid does look good though.

We seem to overdo it on the WR takes, hope we take no more than 2 this cycle. Rambo, Harley, Pope, and Wiggins - Redding, Smith, Payton, the freshmen, etc. need a real opportunity like Pope, Wiggins, and Harley got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back