Back where we left off

100% of the people on this board and UM fans knew we would start 0-1. Season starts this Saturday. Win the Coastal and get to Charlotte or it's time for the Manny experience to end. I think that is a reasonable take/expectations and they have come directly out of Manny's mouth.

Advertisement
It's even more laughable that we need to get our "momentum going" by beating App State and Michigan State. These wins will really propel us to greatness.

Again, it has nothing to do with "propelling us to greatness". We don't have to be "great" to win the remaining 11 games on our craptastic schedule.

But we absolutely have to regain momentum after the Alabama game. Anyone who just wants to bash Manny and mock/misstate the posts of very reasonable people like @DMoney is just ignoring the reality that we need to string together some positive momentum results to offset the hit to our momentum that took place in the Alabama game.

If you want to crawl into a hole because we just lost to the defending champion and #1 team in the land, that's up to you. But I'd rather see our players fight back to win 11 winnable games, and then we sign a great class of recruits in December.

It doesn’t even matter if Lashlee wakes the **** up and game plans vs his opponent, if Manny keeps giving up points like it’s an Oprah show he’s dead. He decided to take the play calling so no more scapegoat which should be music to Canes fans ears.

You mopers make me laugh... They did this to everyone last year including OSU in the title game. If we lose in the next few games then hit the panic button. Otherwise root for your team to go win 10-11 ball games. You do that, stack another class, and you get 1 year closer to the OSUs/Clemson's of the world... As to reaching Bama status, honestly I think they are on their own tier right now. It sucks and its not good for the sport but I don't think it changes until Saban retires.

1631062066979.png

You mopers make me laugh... They did this to everyone last year including OSU in the title game. If we lose in the next few games then hit the panic button. Otherwise root for your team to go win 10-11 ball games. You do that, stack another class, and you get 1 year closer to the OSUs/Clemson's of the world... As to reaching Bama status, honestly I think they are on their own tier right now. It sucks and its not good for the sport but I don't think it changes until Saban retires.

View attachment 153752

Do you mean to tell me that Texas A&M and UGa and Auburn and Notre Dame and Ohio Taint didn't shut down their programs and/or fire their coaches after their ranked teams were beaten badly by Alabama? Shocking.

Here is the ONE SILVER LINING as it relates to Alabama. For years, Saban has not invested the time to mentor a young protegee to take over Alabama when he retires. Instead, he has played Captain Save-a-Hoe to every disgraced and/or fired football coach willing to rehabilitate his reputation at the Saban Halfway House. Now, I'm not saying that there won't be a ****e-ton of job applicants once Saban's Last Rodeo is over, but it is entirely possible that nobody is prepared and/or ready to step into Nick Saban's size 9 Nikes.

And THAT is GOOD for college football...

Advertisement
Do you mean to tell me that Texas A&M and UGa and Auburn and Notre Dame and Ohio Taint didn't shut down their programs and/or fire their coaches after their ranked teams were beaten badly by Alabama? Shocking.

Here is the ONE SILVER LINING as it relates to Alabama. For years, Saban has not invested the time to mentor a young protegee to take over Alabama when he retires. Instead, he has played Captain Save-a-Hoe to every disgraced and/or fired football coach willing to rehabilitate his reputation at the Saban Halfway House. Now, I'm not saying that there won't be a ****e-ton of job applicants once Saban's Last Rodeo is over, but it is entirely possible that nobody is prepared and/or ready to step into Nick Saban's size 9 Nikes.

They're gonna hire KIFFIN, bro! He'll bring SWAG and DEMEANOR to Bama!

View attachment 153752

idk how you can watch this dude coach this many years and laugh at anyone not high on him at this point. This entire board was ready to lose as long as they didn’t see an undisciplined bunch with horrible play calling. Well…

We paid big money to Richt and his staff. We've had a bunch of different ADs and different types of coaches (successful SEC head coach, successful G5 head coach, coordinator).

Eventually, one of these has to go right. At least that's what I tell myself.
You and me have been going round on this topic for ages, it seems. If we focus on the surface appearance things, we can try to tell ourselves a comforting story. But at some point, we have to ask some tougher questions, and let go of the comforting narrative. There are reasons it isn't working here, and hasn't since Butch. Coker was a bad hire. Shannon was. Richt was. Golden was. Manny was. Not just in retrospect. And not just bad hires - bad hiring processes, lack of clarity on needs and resources, poor assessment, few choices. It doesn't work here because it's not about luck. They went wrong because they were wrong, not because we're unlucky. We're doing it wrong. Any business that was run this way, the board would have fired the CEO ages ago.

Advertisement
You and me have been going round on this topic for ages, it seems. If we focus on the surface appearance things, we can try to tell ourselves a comforting story. But at some point, we have to ask some tougher questions, and let go of the comforting narrative. There are reasons it isn't working here, and hasn't since Butch. Coker was a bad hire. Shannon was. Richt was. Golden was. Manny was. Not just in retrospect. And not just bad hires - bad hiring processes, lack of clarity on needs and resources, poor assessment, few choices. It doesn't work here because it's not about luck. They went wrong because they were wrong, not because we're unlucky. We're doing it wrong. Any business that was run this way, the board would have fired the CEO ages ago.

While I disagree a bit on Coker, I do realize it was not a traditional hiring process. Butch leaving was untimely and problematic, the worst coaching transition we faced since Schnellenberger. Even if we had done a "national search", Coker was the OC on the #2 team in the country. Had Schiano not left, he would have been a candidate as well.

But the other ones are fair assessments, not just in outcome, but in process. Shannon was the DC of the coach we fired. Golden was the product of a moderately decent search coupled with a horrible assessment of culture-fit. Richt and Diaz were guys we focused on, to the exclusion of EVERYONE else, even if Richt had solid bona fides.

View attachment 153752

3 game losing streak

2 of those teams were not Alabama, and they pushed Manny's **** in too. Keep those blinders on man

While I disagree a bit on Coker, I do realize it was not a traditional hiring process. Butch leaving was untimely and problematic, the worst coaching transition we faced since Schnellenberger. Even if we had done a "national search", Coker was the OC on the #2 team in the country. Had Schiano not left, he would have been a candidate as well.

But the other ones are fair assessments, not just in outcome, but in process. Shannon was the DC of the coach we fired. Golden was the product of a moderately decent search coupled with a horrible assessment of culture-fit. Richt and Diaz were guys we focused on, to the exclusion of EVERYONE else, even if Richt had solid bona fides.
On Coker, what was missing was any competent assessment of him as a leader. I get it that when the HC leaves you may have to make a decision on your internal candidate before running a process. You don't HAVE TO mind you. Plenty of businesses tell the internal guy he'll have a shot but they want to compare him to alternatives. But even if you skip that step, you have to actually assess him.

Coker was hired because Ed Reed and whatever. It was a don't rock the boat hire. That's almost never a good decision in business. If you do the work and hire him because he's the right guy, fine. But the panic hire was a bad process decision not just a bad individual assessment. In my view.

Not that it matters anymore. But the key point is all our hiring decisions since Butch have been driven by distractions and narrative. Hire the guy because he's there and it won't rock the boat. Hire his DC because he's a nice Miami story. Hire the anti-Shannon from Temple / PSU because it's a change and he looks the part. Hire Richt because played QB at Miami and clean Church type from SEC. Hire Manny because he's the DC and dad was Mayor and whatever. None of those decisions were about what the program was or could be or needed or what's going on in CFB.

This is why I continually go for the bait when D$ says we have to luck out at some point. You can play 3 card monte all day and lose every single time, because if you're the only person at the table who thinks it's about luck, you're doing it wrong. It ain't about luck. Our hiring people don't know what they're doing and aren't solving for on-field outcomes.

Focus on new/other enriching and fulfilling activities than Cane football induced self-loathing and subsequent liver damage. I've done this the past 2 years while keeping a hopeful side eye on the program.
You know something man, I had an epiphany during the second quarter. I was losing my mind like any other loss and realized I needed some perspective. Had a father diagnosed with cancer in august, he should be fine, dog had a tumor removed this month and it was benign. That’s the stuff that matters.

I will always love and root for the canes but can’t allow losses to ruin my night or weekend.

Advertisement
We finished last season ranked #22. We are ranked #22 now, after a very familiar type of loss.

The rest of the season will tell us if anything has improved. It's been 18 years of Groundhog Day. These next two games are absolutely critical to getting the momentum back rolling.
Until this AD and HC are fired we will not improve. Any perceived success will be a facade. Make no mistake, 9-10 wins is not a successful season, it will just prolong this nightmare with Diaz and Blake. Its come time that we cheer for losses like we did with Golden.

There are 5 known teams. The rest have very little difference in talent or momentum.

bama, uga, OSU, OU, Clemson

the rest either lack Miami talent or have no momentum (LSU) or both. Miami is 8-4 over the last 12. The next 4 games should be wins leading to the next big game: UNC. Unc because Manny has been owned by Mack. Yes, Michigan St and UVA could take Miami down if they kids mail it in. If they don’t, 5-1 builds the momentum Miami needs not to win a natty but just to build excitement and stack another class. IF they dont build momentum then Manny has a much tougher sales job but even that could be overcome with a young QB flashing(Garcia/TVD). I’m not willing to trash the program or Manny. So much is changing in college ball, it would be a shame to not see if the Alliance can put the SEC back in its place or NIL help Miami level the playing field more…

Someone posted that Diaz gets paid about $3.1M or $3.2M/season. He signed a 5 year deal so that’s $15.5M - $16M. You add the $4M Temple buyout - lol..that’s truly laughable, and you have a total of about $20M committed to Manolo Diaz.

I just don’t see the UM brass pulling the trigger until after year four, at the earliest, assuming this goes spiraling further.

They will extend him and then fire him the following year.... then hire Lashlee or Blake Baker or someone equally inept.

Advertisement
Groundhog's day indeed. Its a never ending cycle around this place too. Half the board is bipolar.

Half the people *****ing about manny right now were calling everyone else mopes for doing exactly what they're doing now. These same posters will act like the Alabama loss never happened if he beats App St. Somebody will inevitably bump an I told ya so thread about giving him a chance if he beats Michigan St. And it'll be this way until he loses another game he shouldn't or gets his **** kicked in by a higher ranked team. Then the sky will fall all over again and the cycle will repeat itself.
True

Tyrants usually do not identify, let alone develop, their successors.

I do expect a slightly better response in these next two games than we’ve seen over the last two decades.

Most of that is cuz of King. Even though our team is still fairly mentally weak, we have a few guys who can carry the torch to get it going again.
king chokes in every big game? you buy the hype?

Advertisement
Back