Back where we left off

How many breaking points does a HC get on this site?
I'd say a normal coach gets afforded a couple of breaks. You're allowed the occasional lackluster performance. But, there has to be growth.

Manny's problem is that he pitched to Blake that this would be a really quick turnaround and suckered Blake into giving him the job. Manny set unrealistic expectations on himself because he was familiar with the team and could turn this thing around real quick. Problem was, he needed to learn how to be a HC first, which he should've done at Temple.

Advertisement
We're always more talented than most teams on our schedule. That doesn't stop us from dropping 2-3 games per year that leaves you going WTF. I don't see that trend breaking this year. This is still Manny who's the HC.
Completely agree except there are no excuses because you return 19 starters and you are a veteran team. This year there are no excuses. If I was AD, I would fire manny if he doesn’t go 11-1. Why? Because at some point you have to beat all the teams that you are more talented than and at some point you have beat a team that’s better than you. If you Can’t do that, then you have to look for the next coach. With that said, we know manny is safe with 9-3 because in the eyes of Blake it would show improvement.

I'd say a normal coach gets afforded a couple of breaks. You're allowed the occasional lackluster performance. But, there has to be growth.

Manny's problem is that he pitched to Blake that this would be a really quick turnaround and suckered Blake into giving him the job. Manny set unrealistic expectations on himself because he was familiar with the team and could turn this thing around real quick. Problem was, he needed to learn how to be a HC first, which he should've done at Temple.
I remember the hire I was angry they lied to us about a diligent search. Such bs

This is a great take. Richt I understood the hire at the time. He was an upgrade from his 3 predecessors (Coker, Randy, Golden), but we got him 5 years late. He was hanging on the burn out cliff and after 2017, completely fell off. Golden, albeit not a big name, was an understandable hire. But when we saw Golden after 3 years at Miami, we looked back and saw the warts from his tenure as Temple.

But with Randy and Manny, there was absolutely no reason they should've been hired in the first place. They had no prior defense experience and were coaches off of failed tenures (Randy with Coker, Manny with Richt).

Yep. None of the hires were serious hires that tons of thought was put into. They were all lazy.

Our defense being in free fall these past 4 of 6 games and against any offense with a pulse is a worrying sign. Bama was breaking in every skill player imaginable and a brand new OC and the result ended up being we get routed to the tune of 44 points and 500+ yards? Not good.
Everyone is so obsessed about Lashlee (which was horrific against Bama) but ignore this side of the ball. This is year 6 of Manny’s Defense. In theory, we should have made Bama’s lives far more difficult than what we did. They moved the ball and scored at will.

Advertisement
Everyone is so obsessed about Lashlee (which was horrific against Bama) but ignore this side of the ball. This is year 6 of Manny’s Defense. In theory, we should have made Bama’s lives far more difficult than what we did. They moved the ball and scored at will.
Manny should fire his DC and start over on D.

Completely agree except there are no excuses because you return 19 starters and you are a veteran team. This year there are no excuses. If I was AD, I would fire manny if he doesn’t go 11-1. Why? Because at some point you have to beat all the teams that you are more talented than and at some point you have beat a team that’s better than you. If you Can’t do that, then you have to look for the next coach. With that said, we know manny is safe with 9-3 because in the eyes of Blake it would show improvement.

Oh, Big Lou, I'm not disagreeing with you. Problem here with Blake James is that he is (or at least should) attached to the hip with Manny. If Manny crashes and burns in year 3, given how Blake handled the job search, Blake would go to (in a realistic world). This is why Blake's going to give Manny an incredibly long leash and he'll be in the Manny spin camp when the masses grow restless around October/November.

I think most people are comparatively more upset with Lashlee because there was... hope. The defense will look better than it did against Bama, of course, but until there's evidence, I think we know what to expect against decently prepared teams. It's a disjointed approach. And, has been.

That's why, after having hope for Manny's evolution through the years, last year I began to state I'm completely out on his defensive plan. Had hoped TRob and Schoop would infuse something different. Alas, the key issues still exist: often outleveraged, mostly poorly disguised, and predictable blitzes.

I think most people are comparatively more upset with Lashlee because there was... hope. The defense will look better than it did against Bama, of course, but until there's evidence, I think we know what to expect against decently prepared teams. It's a disjointed approach. And, has been.

That's why, after having hope for Manny's evolution through the years, last year I began to state I'm completely out on his defensive plan. Had hoped TRob and Schoop would infuse something different. Alas, the key issues still exist: often outleveraged, mostly poorly disguised, and predictable blitzes.

this. A Danny Miaz defense it what it is. Plus, we lost some key personnel so we knew there were going to be issues.

As for the offense, that is our supposed strength. Best OL in years (still believe we are ok at that spot), infusion of talent at WRs (big upgrade over 6/8 but we still are fielding 3 WRs who barely crack 185) and year 2 of King/Lash. But, we are having the same issues we had last year. How much of it had to do with Bama? I'm guessing some but I won't be surprised if we similar desultory performances against the middling ACC and teams like MSU.

Advertisement
Oh, Big Lou, I'm not disagreeing with you. Problem here with Blake James is that he is (or at least should) attached to the hip with Manny. If Manny crashes and burns in year 3, given how Blake handled the job search, Blake would go to (in a realistic world). This is why Blake's going to give Manny an incredibly long leash and he'll be in the Manny spin camp when the masses grow restless around October/November.
What you don’t realize is that most recent firings have been done by the BOT not Blake unilaterally

I just want to see Miami/Manny routinely (and convincingly) beat programs they should

Bottom line, vs App St and Mich St at home, with this squad -- those should be wins

Lets get those and build from there, and see what happens the rest of the way

Two wins wont mean we crown Manny.

But a loss means we should behead him like King Charles I
philly GIF

Advertisement
this. A Danny Miaz defense it what it is. Plus, we lost some key personnel so we knew there were going to be issues.

As for the offense, that is our supposed strength. Best OL in years (still believe we are ok at that spot), infusion of talent at WRs (big upgrade over 6/8 but we still are fielding 3 WRs who barely crack 185) and year 2 of King/Lash. But, we are having the same issues we had last year. How much of it had to do with Bama? I'm guessing some but I won't be surprised if we similar desultory performances against the middling ACC and teams like MSU.
We had those same issues even with those personnel. Lashlee has sucked against real opponents but he had made the Offense much better since the Richt days. The Defense has gotten worse!

Exactly. We weren't going to beat Alabama. I thought we would look better, but I'm a fan and fans are often overly optimistic. The rest of the season should not be an embarrassment. But if Manny gets to nine wins and the recruiting stays strong, that's improvement each year and that's something to build on. If it's less than nine wins, and it looks bad, then it's time for some serious conversations agreed.

Exactly. We weren't going to beat Alabama. I thought we would look better, but I'm a fan and fans are often overly optimistic. The rest of the season should not be an embarrassment. But if Manny gets to nine wins and the recruiting stays strong, that's improvement each year and that's something to build on. If it's less than nine wins, and it looks bad, then it's time for some serious conversations agreed.
First it was 10 wins. Now it’s 9 wins. Next it’ll be 8 wins. Why do fans keep lowering the bar when we should be favored to win every game moving forward?

Advertisement
First it was 10 wins. Now it’s 9 wins. Next it’ll be 8 wins. Why do fans keep lowering the bar when we should be favored to win every game moving forward?
Because it's math. You don't win every game you are favored to win. If you have an 80% Chance each to win each of the next 10 games, how many statistically are you supposed to win?

But I didn't mean my post to be taken that literally. 10 wins should be the goal. 9 win regular season at least plus a win in the bowl game.

I do think this message board has overreacted to Alabama. I bet they blow out every team they play until Georgia.

I'm completely apathetic, tell me oh Wise One,, What facilities..
His point is if you actually kept up with the team you‘d know we’ve put millions into the facilities. This isn’t 2010 anymore.

Advertisement
Back