ACC Network Options?

Thanks for the responses.

I’m completely trying to cut the cord, the only thing stopping me is the ball and chain, who likes to record stuff that I never watch like cooking/baking shows, and shlt on bravo network whose viewership is primarily women and **** (no offense to anyone please), the Bachelor, that stuff.

As far as the games, as I said, I like to rewatch them. I guess after a while we can watch full replays on YouTube. I mean I guess every single game ever played pretty much is on just regular YouTube.

So I’m not so sure that only having it for a few months available would make any difference then, would it? Know if I can just get her to adapt to 100% streaming I’ll be good to go.

Most of the streaming services have pretty generous free trials and all are surprisingly easy to cancel. I'd keep your current cable/satellite setup and just cycle through each of the streaming services to see which one the ball & chain likes. Hulu and DirecTV Now probably would be closest to including all those channels you mentioned plus your local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox affiliates.

I actually saw too that DirecTV is aiming to become a streaming-only service eventually so it wouldn't surprise me if Comcast/Xfinity etc follow suit too.

Advertisement
None of the streaming services have a DVR as you know it. Everything goes to the cloud. Each service has their own limits as to how much you can record and how long they keep the recording. Each service also has how many streams they will allow and how many devices you are allowed to use to connect to their service. Some will let you change the parameters if you will pay them extra money. DIRECTV Now is using a Beta version, so things might not work as smooth as you expect.

As more and more people are cutting cable and going to streaming, some of the services are having trouble handling the extra load. There is no perfect solution that will be a fit for everybody. You just have to jump in and try what you think is best. Most have free trial periods. Some have no contract, so you can cancel anytime. Channel lineups are not set in stone. Expect channels to be dropped and/or added at any time. Right now there is enough competition to keep prices low enough to make the switch from cable. But I expect as the popularity expands, there will be companies merging and programming costs will increase. As I mentioned in a previous post, DIRECTV Now pulled NBC local channels from their lineup over the prices the provider wanted to increase for their programming. If the provider wins this battle, cost to users will increase. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
I tried Dtv Now about a year ago, they've increased the price at least 3 times since. So have most of the others though. That's another reason I stayed with traditional means. Also, you can only view your local channels in your area, I live about 80 miles from Hard Rock Stadium and maybe 15 to 20 miles from my house, all the locals went out. They popped back up at that point on the way home. Same thing happened in Dallas for the LSU game, couldn't see any local channels until I got close to my house.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I had a huge argument with them over qualifying for a promotion that they advertised on my box. I know they do targeted ads like that. They kept telling me I didn't qualify even though they sent the ad directly to my tv. So by the 4th person up the chain after 2 weeks of calling they gave me $60 a month discount to for 12 months. Pretty sweet. But that runs out it 2 months.

I've been with directv for 7 years and never had a late payment so I would assume I am a five star recruit for business starting in September so I'm gonna be asking for some bags lol

That’s right when they start giving new customer NFL ticket for free as a promo. If you are interested you could probably get it half price by saying you are going to cancel cause it’s unfair new customers get it free when you have been a loyal customer for 7 years and have to pay full price

None of the streaming services have a DVR as you know it. Everything goes to the cloud. Each service has their own limits as to how much you can record and how long they keep the recording. Each service also has how many streams they will allow and how many devices you are allowed to use to connect to their service. Some will let you change the parameters if you will pay them extra money. DIRECTV Now is using a Beta version, so things might not work as smooth as you expect.

As more and more people are cutting cable and going to streaming, some of the services are having trouble handling the extra load. There is no perfect solution that will be a fit for everybody. You just have to jump in and try what you think is best. Most have free trial periods. Some have no contract, so you can cancel anytime. Channel lineups are not set in stone. Expect channels to be dropped and/or added at any time. Right now there is enough competition to keep prices low enough to make the switch from cable. But I expect as the popularity expands, there will be companies merging and programming costs will increase. As I mentioned in a previous post, DIRECTV Now pulled NBC local channels from their lineup over the prices the provider wanted to increase for their programming. If the provider wins this battle, cost to users will increase. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah this is a good concise analysis . Right now the business model of how we get our entertainment is transitioning. When things are in flux like that, by definition that means less stability, which is basically part of what you’re saying. And of course, as consolidation increases and competition decreases, prices will increase

Yeah Comcast is the worst about that. Directv will cut you a deal. Have to be willing to go all the way and cancel if they call your bluff. Also they will charge you **** near as much just for internet if you try to go that route vs them offering you a package. They know they are on their last legs with all this streaming options. Internet is more valuable to customers
Actually pretty sure the way Comcast operates is they give deals to new customers - not existing customers, it's not loyalty based. It's completely based upon what level of package you are currently at, and the future prospect of making money off you.

So say you have Internet+TV+Phone..That means you are already an existing customer at a high level, so you only qualify for the good deals on even higher level packages. Whereas if you only had Internet, you'd qualify for a good deal on an internet+tv bundle. I think the max you can get if you're trying to stay with the same package is that original bundle price (before the price gets raised after a yr - but this extends your contract another year)...

So say you have Internet+TV but want a new offer they have for that same bundle, you literally don't qualify for it because you're an existing customer with that bundle already. So what you would need to do is literally cancel TV so you only have internet. Then you would now qualify for the best prices on the Internet+TV package because you are a new customer at that level. Technically you aren't allowed to sign back up for like a month or two or whatever, but are their sales reps going to adhere to that, when adding you back makes their sales numbers look better? Probably not.

And I don't think any amount of threatening to cancel will change that, because when their reps are on their computers looking at their account, their system tells them what the best deals you qualify for, and you only qualify for the best deals if you are a new customer or upgrading to a higher level package. That's just how comcast works as far as I know...

Advertisement
SlingTV and an HD Antenna for your local channels. Problem solved
For anyone that wants to just buy an antenna, you are almost guaranteed to be able to pick up CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, PBS, and some others by buying one.
Just enter your address here: https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90 and you can see which direction and how far away the signal for each channel is coming from. Then you just use that info to buy the right antenna. If you do this with a good antenna and set it up in your attic or on your roof, you won't have to worry about which services provide those channels anymore (like sling doesn't have cbs...)

the streaming services will eventually be the same cost as cable now.

I found it on tvplus with Samsung. If anyone has the app it's there. I had no idea it was a live channel on the app.

will be purchasing a subscription to Playstation Vue as it is the only provider in chicago outside direct tv that gets ACC network.

Advertisement
Actually pretty sure the way Comcast operates is they give deals to new customers - not existing customers, it's not loyalty based. It's completely based upon what level of package you are currently at, and the future prospect of making money off you.

So say you have Internet+TV+Phone..That means you are already an existing customer at a high level, so you only qualify for the good deals on even higher level packages. Whereas if you only had Internet, you'd qualify for a good deal on an internet+tv bundle. I think the max you can get if you're trying to stay with the same package is that original bundle price (before the price gets raised after a yr - but this extends your contract another year)...

So say you have Internet+TV but want a new offer they have for that same bundle, you literally don't qualify for it because you're an existing customer with that bundle already. So what you would need to do is literally cancel TV so you only have internet. Then you would now qualify for the best prices on the Internet+TV package because you are a new customer at that level. Technically you aren't allowed to sign back up for like a month or two or whatever, but are their sales reps going to adhere to that, when adding you back makes their sales numbers look better? Probably not.

And I don't think any amount of threatening to cancel will change that, because when their reps are on their computers looking at their account, their system tells them what the best deals you qualify for, and you only qualify for the best deals if you are a new customer or upgrading to a higher level package. That's just how comcast works as far as I know...

correct. found this out the hard way lol

I found it on tvplus with Samsung. If anyone has the app it's there. I had no idea it was a live channel on the app.
I saw that a couple weeks ago on my '17 TV but I don't think it's on my '16 one, I also didn't see the ACCN. It's not even launching until 8/22

So actually I think it was just announced today that PrimeVideo can be used on Chromecast and YouTube can be used on Fire stick ....with YouTube TV coming to firestick later this yr....

Pretty great news and makes the firestick a MUCH better choice.

Advertisement
So actually I think it was just announced today that PrimeVideo can be used on Chromecast and YouTube can be used on Fire stick ....with YouTube TV coming to firestick later this yr....

Pretty great news and makes the firestick a MUCH better choice.

Firestick is straight garbage. Only good for peripheral TVs. For primary use TVs, get a NVIDIA Shield.

Firestick is straight garbage. Only good for peripheral TVs. For primary use TVs, get a NVIDIA Shield.
Recently got the Shield actually. and thats exactly the use case i'm gunna get the firestick for...possibly a firecube though idk.
If Hulu live tv was on the Shield it'd probably be the perfect streaming device for everyone. as far as I can tell that's the only thing it lacks.

Recently got the Shield actually. and thats exactly the use case i'm gunna get the firestick for...possibly a firecube though idk.
If Hulu live tv was on the Shield it'd probably be the perfect streaming device for everyone. as far as I can tell that's the only thing it lacks.

I would think you could side load Hulu Live, but honestly, I think YTTV is superior.

Advertisement
fyi -- I'm getting nervous that none of the major carriers will pick it up before the season. i have comcast as well

I don't think you should be too nervous. Seems like this happens every time a new network is launched and then magically a few/couple of days before the start date, it shows up. My guess is that all of the major carriers (AT&T, Comcast, etc.) are working things out with ESPN now and it will show up on your service in mid-August.

I would think you could side load Hulu Live, but honestly, I think YTTV is superior.
But you also get regular Hulu with it, which I think elevates it.
But during football season Probably gunna go with PSVue. Def going to try them all. ANd probably might try a iptv or two after football season as well..

So what’s the deal with AT&T U-verse getting it? I never even see it mentioned anywhere as a possible options

Advertisement
Back