2,000 yard rushers in Dade? (question for the historians)

Hurricane Great Chris Myers(2000) and that great Palmetto line you speak of actually graduated when Corey had his 2000 yard season.

Corey did have “The Hulk “Andrew Handy but the other guys were just guys....solid guys

Who did you play for ?
I can promise you that Chris Myers went to college a year before me. Remember 2000 grads played the '99 season. '01 grads played the 2000 season. Myers was a part of the freshman class that included Willis, Vilma, D.J., etc. Handy, on the other hand, did graduate our year. That **** had 20 inch pythons in HS. I played for American my junior & senior years.

Advertisement
I can promise you that Chris Myers went to college a year before me. Remember 2000 grads played the '99 season. '01 grads played the 2000 season. Myers was a part of the freshman class that included Willis, Vilma, D.J., etc. Handy, on the other hand, did graduate our year. That **** had 20 inch pythons in HS. I played for American my junior & senior years.

LOL you were there with my boy, D.Haye, who was probably your best recruit during that era

*Second best, minus John Wood.

Last edited:
Not from Florida so don’t know the counties but here is a list of all time in the state that you could cherry pick them out of

Derrick Henry carried the ball 462 times in one season in high school? That kid was worn out before he even went to college!

I'm pretty sure Tyrone Moss is Broward County's only 2,000 yard rusher. At least in modern times. I don't know about the 50's-70's at all.

Advertisement
Derrick Henry carried the ball 462 times in one season in high school? That kid was worn out before he even went to college!

I'm pretty sure Tyrone Moss is Broward County's only 2,000 yard rusher. At least in modern times. I don't know about the 50's-70's at all.
Lmao his stats that year are hilarious

All of this Henry Parrish talk got me wondering: how many RBs have run for more than 2,000 yards in a single season in Dade? I figured the football historians on here would have the answer.

Troy Davis (Southridge) was the first one, with 2,211 yards. Here are the names I have so far:

Troy Davis- 2,211 yards
Darren Davis- 2,401 yards
Frank Gore- 2,953 yards
Bobby Washington- 2,132 yards (7.0 ypc)
Duke Johnson- 2,087 yards (10 ypc)
Joseph Yearby- 2,160 yards (7.6 ypc)
Henry Parrish- 2,025 yards (10 ypc)

The best back i saw live was Mitch Green of Miami Springs in the 1990-1992 range. He was unbelievable. I remember him having like 3-4 over 50 yard runs in the 4th quarter alone one time against HML. Broke the single game record till it was later eclipsed. He was wanted by everybody...Nebraska, Miami, etc.....but had major learning issues and never made it. Just an unbelievable RB.

Hurricane Great Chris Myers(2000) and that great Palmetto line you speak of actually graduated when Corey had his 2000 yard season.

Corey did have “The Hulk “Andrew Handy but the other guys were just guys....solid guys

Who did you play for ?
Didn’t Cecil sapp (Colorado state) go there before cooper?

I knew folks that played at American those years. Who was really good on those teams..im tryna remember if Jarvis played...i use to hang with him sometimes cause he was on the clothing/fashion stuff i was on them days.

Advertisement
LOL you were there with my boy, D.Haye, who was probably your best recruit during that era

I use to play basketball with John Wood right before he went to Um. He was a clown/jokester. Gave him a few buckets. lol He had size though.

Here’s a player that just missed the 2000yard mark:

Aaron Winchester North Miami Beach c/o 2008

5’6” 180lbs

201 carries 1997 yards 22 tds

And he started full time at linebacker for likely the best team ever at north Miami Beach.
Chargers making their 2nd recent appearance on the boards! Nice.

I'm NMB Class of '89 (bro was starting WR '90 & '91)

A little off topic. Does anyone have the answer on why Butch wasn't recruiting Gore. I've always heard the story of Coker offering Gore and getting him and Parrish but why did we shy away from an all time leading rusher in Dade?

Advertisement

Yeah I was. I'd say he was the 5th best recruit I played with on those teams behind John, 2000 guys Corey Bailey(FS who went to UiF) and Steve Harris(WR for Arkansas/Redskins) and Kenny Williams, our TE who went to Auburn in '03.

I knew folks that played at American those years. Who was really good on those teams..im tryna remember if Jarvis played...i use to hang with him sometimes cause he was on the clothing/fashion stuff i was on them days.
Jarvis Woods? Or Anderson?

Last edited:
I use to play basketball with John Wood right before he went to Um. He was a clown/jokester. Gave him a few buckets. lol He had size though.
Wood is Hometeam. One of the first people I got cool with when I transferred out there and one of the few on those teams that I never lost touch with...

Advertisement
Went to a small school Archbishops Curley, could have sworn there was a kid in early 90s that went over 2k
I was playing 1A ball then and I don't remember anyone like that from Curley.

Zach Barkett rushed for 4,195 & 66 TDs in his Senior campaign in the Anthracite League in 2008. Stats include state playoffs where they lost to a Jordan Hill lead Steelton-Highspire Rollers team that was destined to win the PIAA Single-A state title.

Very off-topic, but was awesome to witness.

All of this Henry Parrish talk got me wondering: how many RBs have run for more than 2,000 yards in a single season in Dade? I figured the football historians on here would have the answer.

Troy Davis (Southridge) was the first one, with 2,211 yards. Here are the names I have so far:

Troy Davis- 2,211 yards
Darren Davis- 2,401 yards
Frank Gore- 2,953 yards
Bobby Washington- 2,132 yards (7.0 ypc)
Duke Johnson- 2,087 yards (10 ypc)
Joseph Yearby- 2,160 yards (7.6 ypc)
Henry Parrish- 2,025 yards (10 ypc)

Henry Parrish is a Baller... his pops was cold... he was a running back that got stuck playing qb in Southridges wing t in the late 90s.... he was the real deal running the ball on Jv and park days....he never got the real opportunity on varsity as a 5’7 muscle head quarterback in coach guandolas offense

Advertisement
Back