2,000 yard rushers in Dade? (question for the historians)

All of us old time Dade County dudes are gonna bring up Freddie Miles....But, not really sure there are any stats available for what he did at Miami Springs in the late 70s....
Out of the old school, the main names I know are Freddie Miles(Brown Sub Legend), Elvis Peacock(my Uncle Al who played for GT and the Falcons played at Central with him), Buster Rhymes and Larry Brinson. I remember cats talking about them when I was a little kid...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ferguson set records but he ran for less than 2,000 based on my research. Same with Markeith Cooper at Palmetto.

Was going to bring up these guys. 2k to me isn’t some magical barometer for success considering many guys have hit the 1700-1800 yard mark and haven’t produced at the next level

Frank Gore was the greatest South Florida football player I ever saw play live, while still in high school.

What he did at Gables was just disgusting. That team had a mediocre QB Gore's senior year too....so he was constantly facing 8 and 9 man fronts. None of it mattered and he was a man among boys. I was there at the infamous game when he ran for something like 500 yards in a single game.

Troy Davis was a two time Heisman finalist, man. What are you talking about? Dude is a CFB Hall of Famer.
Darren (his brother) is the second all-time leading rusher in Iowa State history behind Troy.
Troy is easily the best HS Fb player have seen. I will never forget how they beat us in the playoffs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Remembered the name Pedro Medrano from Braddock who for most of the year was leading both Charlie Jones and Bobby Washington in rushing yards as a senior. I think he got close or passed the 2000 yard mark.

Could only find his junior year stats, so here's some numbers for record keeping:

Single season, yards
Player School Yr. Att. Yds. Avg. TDs
Frank Gore Coral Gables 2000 274 2,658 9.7 34
Corey Kinsey Palmetto 2000 261 1,901 7.3 23
Markeith Cooper Palmetto 1995 237 1,886 7.9 16
Peter Medrano Braddock 2002 289 1,688 5.8 11
Danyell Ferguson Columbus 1991 220 1,646 7.5 24
Tony Smith Southridge 1979 201 1,592 7.9 15
Darren Davis Southridge 1994 179 1,570 8.8 15
Charlie Jones South Dade 2002 202 1,570 7.8 18
Bobby Washington Killian 2002 232 1,556 6.7 9
Frank Gore Coral Gables 1999 198 1,537 7.8 22

My graduating class(2001) had 4. Frank, Darrell Sheppard, Corey Kinsey and Clarence Pittman all went over 2k. Frank, Shep, and Kinsey all broke the threshold in the regular season. **** that year NMB had a back named Daniel Marks(Dude was a BEAST) that went over 1800 and he couldn't get in the conversation with those 4. I played against Kinsey when we were juniors. That kid was NO FUN AT ALL to tackle. 5'6", rocked up, blazing fast and running behind one of the biggest O-lines(Starring U Great Chris Myers). He'd get lost behind that cattle ranch he called his blockers, pop out on the other side and you might as well kiss his *** goodbye...

I played for Columbus and hung out with Sheppard for a while after hs. He played for: BC, Marshall, FAU, maybe a day at FIU, and Dodge City. Was heavily recruited. Butch Davis came to columbus to visit him, and Butch wasn't recruiting Frank. He was good enough to where he took an official to USC when Carroll just got there. Wasn't that fast once he broke, but maybe the best feet for a big RB that I've ever seen in SFL. He never got near 2k, though. We had 2 other RBs in Tori Robinson and Kenny Mathurin that signed with FIU that would take carries from him.

Advertisement
Back