2,000 yard rushers in Dade? (question for the historians)

Markeith Cooper was the best I ever saw with my own eyes. I saw him scrimmage at Suniland Park for Palmetto when I was in optimist and had never seen anything so fast in my life. The dude broke the Dade County rushing record that year AND won the state championship in wrestling. What an insane athlete he was. Corey Kinsey was great a few years later, but his Palmetto team and line were slightly better too.

Came across this recent article that documents his high school bio and how he got shafted for Male Athlete of the Year in ‘96 by Sedrick Irvin. How do you break the all-time county rushing record and win a state title in the same year and lose to someone who didn’t do either?

Last edited:
Advertisement
All of this Henry Parrish talk got me wondering: how many RBs have run for more than 2,000 yards in a single season in Dade? I figured the football historians on here would have the answer.

Troy Davis (Southridge) was the first one, with 2,211 yards. Here are the names I have so far:

Troy Davis- 2,211 yards
Darren Davis- 2,401 yards
Frank Gore- 2,953 yards
Bobby Washington- 2,132 yards (7.0 ypc)
Duke Johnson- 2,087 yards (10 ypc)
Joseph Yearby- 2,160 yards (7.6 ypc)
Henry Parrish- 2,025 yards (10 ypc)
Parrish in this group? Drop the bag!!!

All of this Henry Parrish talk got me wondering: how many RBs have run for more than 2,000 yards in a single season in Dade? I figured the football historians on here would have the answer.

Troy Davis (Southridge) was the first one, with 2,211 yards. Here are the names I have so far:

Troy Davis- 2,211 yards
Darren Davis- 2,401 yards
Frank Gore- 2,953 yards
Bobby Washington- 2,132 yards (7.0 ypc)
Duke Johnson- 2,087 yards (10 ypc)
Joseph Yearby- 2,160 yards (7.6 ypc)
Henry Parrish- 2,025 yards (10 ypc)
Marakeith Cooper?

Markeith Cooper was the best I ever saw with my own eyes. I saw him scrimmage at Suniland Park for Palmetto when I was in optimist and had never seen anything so fast in my life. The dude broke the Dade County rushing record that year AND won the state championship in wrestling. What an insane athlete he was. Corey Kinsey was great a few years later, but his Palmetto team and line were slightly better too.

Came across this recent article that documents his high school bio and how he got shafted for Male Athlete of the Year in ‘96 by Sedrick Irvin. How do you break the all-time county rushing record and win a state title in the same year and lose to someone who didn’t do either?

Cooper was legit. I grew up with a lot of people who played for Palmetto. Cooper gets a lot of praise, but I've heard from most that the best player that they've ever seen from Palmetto is Connie Moore.

I played for Columbus and hung out with Sheppard for a while after hs. He played for: BC, Marshall, FAU, maybe a day at FIU, and Dodge City. Was heavily recruited. Butch Davis came to columbus to visit him, and Butch wasn't recruiting Frank. He was good enough to where he took an official to USC when Carroll just got there. Wasn't that fast once he broke, but maybe the best feet for a big RB that I've ever seen in SFL. He never got near 2k, though. We had 2 other RBs in Tori Robinson and Kenny Mathurin that signed with FIU that would take carries from him.
Ask him if he did the next time you see him. The only questionable name of the 4 I gave is Pittman, and if he didn't he was **** close. I remember clearly that Shep and Kinsey did as well because it was discussed greatly as a way to put in perspective the dominance of Frank's season. Their season totals crushed the previous county record but Frank was ahead of them by hundreds of yards and in less games. Gables got knocked out of the 1st round in a shootout with Miami High. Columbus, Palmetto and the West all made it at least to the 2nd round that year...

Advertisement
Here’s a player that just missed the 2000yard mark:

Aaron Winchester North Miami Beach c/o 2008

5’6” 180lbs

201 carries 1997 yards 22 tds

And he started full time at linebacker for likely the best team ever at north Miami Beach.

I don't think Elvis Peacock (Central) had over 2000 yds, but he would have been a modern 5 star. He went to Oklahoma and I believe was a NFL 1st round pick. You think UGA bags are bad now, Oklahoma used to own Miami top end recruiting. Elvis, Buster, Freddie Nixon and many others went there when they ran the wishbone in the late 70's under Barry Switzer.
Switzer and Oklahoma were always corrupt..was it Marcus DuPree's mother who he bought a house or house trailer for?

Advertisement
I've personally seen...
Emmitt
Gore
Mcgahee
Bobby Washington
Davis Bros
Marquette Smith, and a slew of others....
Freddie Miles was better....The closest I've seen of HS RBs were Noel Devine and Gore.....The 2 Best HS FB Players I've ever seen in my life were Miles and Willie Williams...
And both were college flops...but not because of talent.

I know we’ve all brought up how much of a freak Frank was, but nearly 3K rushing yards in a single season in the football Mecca is absolutely bat**** insane.

GOAT 🙌🏼

HS football is so insane here in South Florida that if you take these dudes and put them any where in the country 3K plus rushers. Closing speed from D here is tremendous and to break loose here for long runs you are one bad dude.

These runners are ELITE even to this day if they all played again same result.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Parrish is faster in a straight line. Look at their difference in ypc, and this is with yearby running behind the biggest line in dade every year. Columbus has 1 kid who was D1 on the OL and it wasn’t P5, IIRC.

This. Yearby averaged 7 ypc during his best season (sophomore). Parrish was at 10 ypc last year with the same amount of yards.

My graduating class(2001) had 4. Frank, Darrell Sheppard, Corey Kinsey and Clarence Pittman all went over 2k. Frank, Shep, and Kinsey all broke the threshold in the regular season. **** that year NMB had a back named Daniel Marks(Dude was a BEAST) that went over 1800 and he couldn't get in the conversation with those 4. I played against Kinsey when we were juniors. That kid was NO FUN AT ALL to tackle. 5'6", rocked up, blazing fast and running behind one of the biggest O-lines(Starring U Great Chris Myers). He'd get lost behind that cattle ranch he called his blockers, pop out on the other side and you might as well kiss his *** goodbye...

Hurricane Great Chris Myers(2000) and that great Palmetto line you speak of actually graduated when Corey had his 2000 yard season.

Corey did have “The Hulk “Andrew Handy but the other guys were just guys....solid guys

Who did you play for ?

Advertisement
Frank Gore was the greatest South Florida football player I ever saw play live, while still in high school.

What he did at Gables was just disgusting. That team had a mediocre QB Gore's senior year too....so he was constantly facing 8 and 9 man fronts. None of it mattered and he was a man among boys. I was there at the infamous game when he ran for something like 500 yards in a single game.
I didn't get to see him play in HS, but watching him run as a true freshman was a beautiful thing to behold. I truly believe that he would be in the conversation for best RB ever if he had 2 healthy knees.

I didn't get to see him play in HS, but watching him run as a true freshman was a beautiful thing to behold. I truly believe that he would be in the conversation for best RB ever if he had 2 healthy knees.

I was also lucky enough to see Sean Tay play at Gulliver. He was probably more physically dominant than Gore in high school since he was an alien from another world compared to the other kids in high school....but Gore was the best pure football player. His ability back then to change direction on a dime without having to slow down or reaccelerate was something I’ve never witnessed before or since . You couple that with his elite vision between the tackles and you get the closest thing to a perfect high school running back as I’ve ever witnessed live

Ferguson set records but he ran for less than 2,000 based on my research. Same with Markeith Cooper at Palmetto.

Cooper! We were at AU at the same time. Every time I saw dude I was like, "**** I should have played football." Dude was smaller than me. LOL

Advertisement
Back