Zo/Nuñez Potential AD's?

Nunez has been an AD for 5 years at New Mexico. So lets do a 5 year comparison to his 5 and the 5 prior.

Football:

5 prior years: 27-36 (.428)
His 5 years: 13-42 (.236)

Basketball:

5 prior years: 105-58 (.644)
His 5 years: 62-66 (.477)

How is this guy a serious candidate again? How does he even get an interview?
animated-cuba-flag-2.gif

Advertisement
Turnkey has stopped listing Miamis AD opening.

Pretty sure this has been mentioned already, so just a quick bump.

Everyone is losing their mind.

If Jurich doesn't end up here, it's not the end of the world. I am on record-in this thread-of wanting a grey hair. I'm a Jurich guy too. However, just like a good QB makes a HC look good, even if we hire a young or inexperienced AD, if it's the right HC hire, the HC will make the AD look good. That's why I'm in the Mario camp, because I think he has the interest to establish roots and a foundation here for sustained growth. (I'm not as optimistic about Kiffin's ability to do the same.) Ideally, the roots and foundation start with the BOT and the administration (including the athletic department) and it establishes continued success, regardless who is at the helm. But, if we have a strong HC and a BOT with a vision and it gets implemented, presumably things can turn out alright that way too.
In what world do we have a BOT with a vision? This process has shown how toxic, lazy, complacent the BOTs are. They don’t care about winning.

They are trying to hire another empty suit at AD, his only qualification is he’s a Miami bro, Dale!

Advertisement
I'm wondering whether candidates names popping up here and there are a result of when they interviewed with UM/search firm..? Jurich and Rad were done first and then search firm got more involved and started to hear more about their candidates last week...Fernandez, Rhodes, Nunez, etc. Final decision is yet to be made or perhaps was made yesterday.

Everyone is losing their mind.

If Jurich doesn't end up here, it's not the end of the world. I am on record-in this thread-of wanting a grey hair. I'm a Jurich guy too. However, just like a good QB makes a HC look good, even if we hire a young or inexperienced AD, if it's the right HC hire, the HC will make the AD look good. That's why I'm in the Mario camp, because I think he has the interest to establish roots and a foundation here for sustained growth. (I'm not as optimistic about Kiffin's ability to do the same.) Ideally, the roots and foundation start with the BOT and the administration (including the athletic department) and it establishes continued success, regardless who is at the helm. But, if we have a strong HC and a BOT with a vision and it gets implemented, presumably things can turn out alright that way too.
Or we could just hire the strongest candidate for each job. You're absolutely right that a strong HC raises a tide that lifts all boats. But then again you're creating a house of cards that blows up in disaster if Cristobal doesn't kill it here. We need an athletic department that is strong enough to survive and prosper if one hire doesn't work out or if that person leaves. Instead it looks like we're just more interested in creating a Miami/Columbus Guy network of sycophants and Gamora fish feeding off of each other and thinking it's the other dude that's the puppet.

Advertisement
That’s why I like him. I think I posted early on that I had heard from a good source that at least some UM trustees had interest in Mark Coyle (AD at Minnesota), but have zero clue if it was reciprocal. Coyle was on Sam Jankovich’s staff as an intern years ago at UM.
I would love Coyle. What he has done for Minnesota's football team is impressive. Beat Wisconsin this past weekend... something we can never seem to do.

I went back and watched the video three times and all this guy (who i'm not sure is even credible since his sources told him all of this at a strip club) said was that Zo an Nunez 'crushed' their interviews but there was zero mention that either were front runners or that they were going to be working together.

I also highly doubt that a current AD slides down to Associate AD to work under Zo.

In what world do we have a BOT with a vision? This process has shown how toxic, lazy, complacent the BOTs are. They don’t care about winning.

They are trying to hire another empty suit at AD, his only qualification is he’s a Miami bro, Dale!
Historically speaking, you are correct.

However, we have heard that of late, between Mas and Ruiz and Lemonis, maybe things are changing for the better, particularly with the indication of an infusion of some $20-30MM into the program.

Advertisement
I went back and watched the video three times and all this guy (who i'm not sure is even credible since his sources told him all of this at a strip club) said was that Zo an Nunez 'crushed' their interviews but there was zero mention that either were front runners or that they were going to be working together.

I also highly doubt that a current AD slides down to Associate AD to work under Zo.
Nunez's base salary is $300k at New Mexico. So a) that's the caliber of candidate we're dealing with here and b) you're absolutely right that most ADs wouldn't take the hit in title but we'd probably sell it as some "Co-AD" type of nonsense while giving him a large raise.

Is it Epstein and his butt buddies that want Nunez?

Epstein and his buddies are pushing "compromise" names because they don't want a known alpha like Jurich.

I've said it before. There is a difference between "we want a puppet" and "we don't want a guy who will establish an independent power base that will rival our own".

Read between the lines, folks. There are schools where you could arguably say that the AD is the most powerful person on the campus. The UM BOT does not want that.

Advertisement
Or we could just hire the strongest candidate for each job. You're absolutely right that a strong HC raises a tide that lifts all boats. But then again you're creating a house of cards that blows up in disaster if Cristobal doesn't kill it here. We need an athletic department that is strong enough to survive and prosper if one hire doesn't work out or if that person leaves. Instead it looks like we're just more interested in creating a Miami/Columbus Guy network of sycophants and Gamora fish feeding off of each other and thinking it's the other dude that's the puppet.
I don't disagree with anything you've said. Simply suggesting that it can work out. Jurich is the name we all know; it appears that it's Jurich or bust for nearly everyone here. I think we need to be prepared for a name other than Jurich because there are a lot of flags out there that it won't be him.

I would love Coyle. What he has done for Minnesota's football team is impressive. Beat Wisconsin this past weekend... something we can never seem to do.
The Coyle type names are exactly what we should be hearing as possibilities after you drop down from our "dream" candidates. But again- until they prove otherwise it should just be assumed that we're a fundamentally unserious institution.

Advertisement
Back