Yearby VS Cook

I love watching Yearby run, his ability to cut at speed is elite. The difference between he and Cook is that Cook is more likely to kill you with the long ball. He's the kind of back who you will bottle up for several carries and then the next play he take one 80 yds on you.

Advertisement
Here's something I said in a different thread:

We faced central 3 times in a two year period, and I can tell you with full certainty that we were glad to see Cook come into the game. We were able to maintain gap integrity and keep Cook in check. Joe was able to make guys miss and get big yardage. He's a football player all the way through. We just need him to develop his body. He has every other tool.

Cook was born with a great mix of size and speed--very rare to see. I'm curious to see how he develops. From what I can see, Joe is a humble, hard working kid. I can see Joe working hard to overcome whatever shortcomings he might have. I think Joe can turn into quite the weapon.

I think he has the capability to develop an incredibly strong lower body, which will translate to better lateral movement and power. I think he's going to be the type of player that will be nearly impossible to stop for negative yardage in the run game. I also see defenders having fits trying to cover him out of the backfield. The first NFL great that comes to mind is Marshall Faulk.

I think Cook will eventually be the best back in the country. Focusing only on his speed sells him short- he is very strong, breaks tackles and has more quickness and feel than he gets credit for.

Yearby is also a stud and will put up huge numbers. The difference I see between the two is that as defenders get bigger and faster, Cook's traits give him more of an advantage. Both guys are going to be great college backs and NFL future is not relevant to us as Canes fans.

Nothing has changed since high school IMO.

Cook has freakish athletic ability and keeps getting better as a pure RB. His ceiling is scary.

Yearby has vision and makes cuts that you just dont see from RBs, let alone freshman. He rarely gets hit cleanly (aside from that back tackle last week) and those skills make up for his lack of Cook's "measurables". Cook will never be able to make cuts the way Yearby does, but Yearby will never catch Cook in a foot race to the outside.

Both are who I thought they were. **** good.

Advertisement
Jamie Newberg compares Yearby to travis henry, which i thought was an excellent comparison.

Jamie Newberg compares Yearby to travis henry, which i thought was an excellent comparison.

Dumbest comparison so far....Henry was 5-9 230lbs. with nowhere near Yeaby's quickness.

How big was travis henry coming out of h.s? I can't remember but i don't think he was that big coming out of h.s.

Vols had him listed at 220lbs when he signed with them...

Advertisement
Cook all day, he the type of back that defenses creep up for.

Your comment implies that Cook is significantly better than Yearby. I'd like to hear why exactly why you think that, other than a vague statement like "he the type of back that defenses creep up for."

Just by watching them I would pick cook his body and speed is built for college and pros. Quickness and shiftiness Yearby all day but Cook reminds me of a better version of Lamar Miller.

Yearby is a better fit for our offense. We want to zone runner so you want a shifty, explosive first step runner. Yearby looks to be a much more dangerous receiver and not just a screen or in the flat receiver. I'll take Yearby if given the two for what we want to run.

I think Cook will eventually be the best back in the country. Focusing only on his speed sells him short- he is very strong, breaks tackles and has more quickness and feel than he gets credit for.

Yearby is also a stud and will put up huge numbers. The difference I see between the two is that as defenders get bigger and faster, Cook's traits give him more of an advantage. Both guys are going to be great college backs and NFL future is not relevant to us as Canes fans.

Meh. I just don't see it. Some skills can be honed and some are god given. The skills he lacks, I don't think are necessarily things he can significantly improve upon over time. I don't think he will EVER look as natural at RB as Joe. As others have said, when I watch Dalbert, I see an athlete playing RB. And in regards to your central point. I think I'd crown the Chubb kid from UGA. As fast as Cook and a whole lot bigger. Runs mean and shows complimentary skills. Extremely rare specimen IMO. Would be my first choice out of that class of RB's.

Last edited:

Dumbest comparison so far....Henry was 5-9 230lbs. with nowhere near Yeaby's quickness.

I don't see that comparison at all. I don't think Yearby will ever make his bones breaking tackles.

Both yearby and henry were record setting prolific runners coming out of h.s, and a lot of people doubted travis henry coming out of h.s, cuz he wasn't considered a great athlete(average intangibles). I think that's where Newberg compares yearby to henry.

Advertisement
^^^ I sure hope so because besides their height, there's nothing else similar b/w the 2. Yearby and Henry are completely different body types, too.

Cook all day, he the type of back that defenses creep up for.

Your comment implies that Cook is significantly better than Yearby. I'd like to hear why exactly why you think that, other than a vague statement like "he the type of back that defenses creep up for."

Just by watching them I would pick cook his body and speed is built for college and pros. Quickness and shiftiness Yearby all day but Cook reminds me of a better version of Lamar Miller.

Yearby is a better fit for our offense. We want to zone runner so you want a shifty, explosive first step runner. Yearby looks to be a much more dangerous receiver and not just a screen or in the flat receiver. I'll take Yearby if given the two for what we want to run.

A elite talent who can make house calls from anywhere on the field is a fit in every dam offense in the country. Cmon mane

The interesting point is fswho's lack of depth. Two true freshmen being the difference on a team that supposedly comparable to our most RECENT greatest ever team. If Cook had come to THE U with Joe, it is a toss up which one got a shirt. Maybe Joe because of the injury, but no way Cook gets the big chances with DUKE JOHNSON on the same team. Noles are not the Cook is best back at FSU: at Miami he maybe 2nd best or maybe 3rd. I am sorry noles got Cook because they probably have a loss now without him, but he'd be riding a lot of pine at THE U. That does not say he is anything but an elite back, just he is not Duke and Yearby is every bit the elite back Cook is. Cook or no Cook, we have Joe next year and a herd of beast coming in to join him, plus, WE have the top QB next year. All we need, well everyone knows the only thing missing at THE U now.

Advertisement
I think if you give Cook all of Yearby's touches this season (same down, distance, scenario), he doesn't do as much with them.

I'm Yearby > Cook as a college back until I see a good reason not to believe it.

I think if you give Cook all of Yearby's touches this season (same down, distance, scenario), he doesn't do as much with them.

I'm Yearby > Cook as a college back until I see a good reason not to believe it.

Again, they're different backs, but I think Cook gave you a few good reasons last Thursday. The guy is an exceptional athlete and a better RB than the older, uberathletic Karlos Williams.

It's funny how you guys bash kids for choosing a school other than UM. They both are Elite. They both are different in what makes them really good. Let's be happy we have one of them for 2-3 more years. We aren't getting every kid from South Florida. Not gonna happen. New day in age of college football.

Advertisement
Back