Will Rosier improve like Brock Berlin?

Advertisement
Malik will 100% improve. It's just absurd to think one does not improve coming into a second season as starter. How much he improves is the proper question.

You can have all the skill players in the world - if you can’t pick up 3rd and 2, you aren’t a good offense. I made this argument all preseason last year and all during the year. Everyone talked about fades and misdirection and unbalanced lines at the goal line ... none of it worked.

We can be good with the short passing game, maybe make a New Year’s Day bowl game. But we won’t be elite until we have an OL that can impose its will.

Your offense can’t steamroll anyone if you can’t keep them on the field.
There are teams that have way less talent in their backfield & OL than us & still figure out how to run the ball.

Go see who's been top 20 in rushing, they ain't all got NFL caliber 5-star lineman upfront. If you're waiting for us to have nothing but elite OL's on the line before we can ever be a great offense, then you'll be waiting for a long long time.

I AGREE. But i watched this man throw bubble screens into the dirt all season. that is just bad, man. We cant win big with a qb who cant make those throws accurately and consistently
You were right the first time. They're different things.

I think of it this way: a proper comparison of accuracy between two QBs involves only throws in which they know exactly where they're throwing the ball.

While knowing where & when to throw the ball is critical in a QBs ability to complete passes, it has nothing to do with his ability to put it on target - regardless of where he's going with it - once he's decided to make the throw.

Last edited:
I don't think Rosier is special, but QBs improve...last year was statistically substandard...compiling stats are good (yards, TD passes), the metrics not so good and were in a decline all season. If he can just take the usual jump that veteran senior QBs usually take ... say getting to a 58% completion percentage, getting his TD:INT closer to the 2.5:1 range (not a huge leap here - but 58% completion percentage with say...25:10 ratio is realistic to me), I think we're talking about a Canes team that goes pretty **** far this year and instead of edging out wins, we're beating the brakes off most of the schedule.

Advertisement
I think it is important for his own confidence and his teammates for him to come out firing on all cylinders versus LSU.... if he sputters and throws it all over the place without connecting, he is done..

I don't expect Rosier to improve on his accuracy much, but I can see him being more efficient overall. Better/healthier weapons, better OL, more experience. Freshmen QBs gunning for his job.

We'll see how he holds up. If he turns into Russell Wilson, we're in the playoffs. If he starts playing like 4th quarter @ FSU Malik, the CFB world is in trouble.

Based on what I've seen, I just don't see either of those things happening. Regardless, if he's behind center, I'll be pulling for him like I would any QB that lines up with an orange & green U on his helmet.

There are teams that have way less talent in their backfield & OL than us & still figure out how to run the ball.

Go see who's been top 20 in rushing, they ain't all got NFL caliber 5-star lineman upfront. If you're waiting for us to have nothing but elite OL's on the line before we can ever be a great offense, then you'll be waiting for a long long time.

Well, go look at the Top 20 in 2017 and only 9 of the 20 are Power 5 teams. #1 is West Point, #2 is Annapolis, #4 is Air Force. Of the nine Power 5 teams, Georgia Tech runs Flexbone. Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Notre Dame most certainly produced NLF caliber offensive linemen.

Well, go look at the Top 20 in 2017 and only 9 of the 20 are Power 5 teams. #1 is West Point, #2 is Annapolis, #4 is Air Force. Of the nine Power 5 teams, Georgia Tech runs Flexbone. Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Notre Dame most certainly produced NLF caliber offensive linemen.
Miami produces NFL caliber offensive lineman too, we literally have 2 of the highest paid lineman in the league & they were from the Folden era.

The point is, using the OL as an excuse is a cop out that fans will always use to keep from holding the staff accountable. UCF doesn't have an elite line, yet they carved up Auburn who has a defense filled with NFL talent. And we see how elite that NFL laden Notre Dame line looked against us right?

How long is gonna take is all I'm asking?

Advertisement
I'm not saying it will happen for us/Rosier this year, but I'm glad to remind everyone that it is a possibility.

The QB I saw as the season closed leads me to seeing this as an impossibility. I think when you look at his limitations (unlike Brock whom was the #1 recruit nationally as has probably been mentioned) instead of his results, you have an honest conversation with yourself.

And the honest conclusion is you're not happy that an newcomer hasn't snatched the job away from him by now.

Coaches have the book on him by now,...and we'll have to have an awesome running game to get into the playoff with him still being the starter.

And even then,...he'll have to get that far via his scrambling and running ability (which I love).

Now the hope is he comes out there against LSU and proves me totally wrong.

My point is that we didn’t figure it out. I place that blame on Richt as much as the OL. Hopefully we are better this year, bc I agree that our skill position talent is superb.

At some point we can't keep making excuses all the time. Every team that wins doesn't have a whole OL full of 5-stars, you can gameplan around that with an uptempo quick passing attack.

There's a reason the trend of more True/Red & Sophomore QB's are playing a lot more because in today's era of college football you can literally manufacture offensive productivity. Between now & next year, we're going to have the most high rated talent we've had at RB, WR & TE since the dynasty days, which means regardless of who it is, the QB is surrounded with high caliber players. So enough with laundry lists about why we can't, just get it done.

Rosier is a 5th year Senior, he shouldn't have the same training wheels on him as the younger QB's would have. He better be improved. With how stacked we are at the skill positions there's no reason why we don't steamroll teams offensively.
The games will be close which will force or hold CMR from giving young guys reps, which leads to delusional #12 fans screaming why play #5 or #15 when #12 is 4/13 on 3rd downs and can't keep the chains moving. They're yelling they have no game experience and he's proven clutch in the 4th qtr; meanwhile, our def is tired and out of gas from being on the field so much cause the offense can't sustain.

Advertisement
I honestly think we're going to see a much improved and consistent Rosier this year. There was a lot working against him last year and he still did a pretty solid job, all things considered. It fell apart at the end, but think about it - the team played 11 games in a row with no bye week after having to scatter for a hurricane, 3 of his best offensive go-to's were injured and unavailable down the stretch, and many people said his technique kind of fell apart toward the end of the year leading to a pretty huge decline in his accuracy.

I honestly think we lucked out having a guy like Rosier behind Kaaya. Being a theoretical "should have never been a Cane" Al Golden recruit, he's already been better than he technically "should" have been. We could have had an absolute trainwreck behind Kaaya given some of the clowns Al Golden went after.

He's a bright dude and has a lot of great instincts. He understands the game, the packages, and generally where to go with the ball. Is he a stellar passer? Not really...but THAT can improve. You can't teach a guy to be smart. Until his game fell apart, he protected the football well and for the first time ever, we had a legitimate running threat as a QB. He has a lot of upside.

This may all be really wishful thinking, but if he can keep his game together throughout the season, he's going to do really well. Remember - he's still a young guy and young people have a tendency to improve in huge leaps as opposed to small increments. He may be a super senior, but this is only his second year being THE guy.

You have to understand you can't run the ball into 8 man fronts, no matter how good your line is. Teams CLEARLY played Miami differently as the year went on. Go watch the Pitt game...their corners played press man the entire game, the Safeties were 8 yards off the ball.....they may as well have held up a big sign that said, "IF YOU'RE GONNA BEAT US, IT'S ON #12". And he couldn't do it. The defensive gameplans laid out late in the year were clearly designed to make Rosier win games with his arm. And it was the smart thing to do, obviously.
you're right, the gameplan is out there on how to defend our offense regardless of all the skill position talent we have. 8 in the box and make #12 beat you with his arm. LSU has been studying and perfecting this scheme all summer. Don't blame the OLine or the running game for our offensive output when their defense will be daring you to throw. I trust that our defense can get us in good position to win a tough defensive battle with key stops and/or turnovers.

Nobody is expecting the o line to go out there and push Clemson around.

What I do expect is for us to win the trench battle against UNC, the 94th ranked run defense, against Pitt, the 60th ranked run defense. Against those two teams we had 39 and 16 yards from our running backs.

Don’t give me this 8 men in the box crap. UNC should have had to call in the National Guard to hold us to 39.

We can’t move crap teams with ****** run defenses off the ball. I expect us to be able to line it up against Pitt on 3rd and 1 and convert every time.

It’s not an either or situation. One can hold the position that our QB needs to improve and our run blocking needs to improve.

I’ll know we’re there when on 1st and goal from inside the 3 we’re not lining up in shotgun spread trying to catch UNC off guard, but in 2 TE to the right and offset I. When we can line up against an inferior team with Donaldson, Irvin, and Jordan in front of Gray and Burns in the backfield, and say, “We’re running right and we’re going to score this touchdown, and there’s not a god**** thing you can do about it.”

Advertisement
I've heard and read all offseason why #12 should be qb for 2018 season. Guys have thrown out stats, thrown out lack of game exp by the other guys, said he's a 5th yr Sr and will make the necessary improvement over last season. Ppl have made excuses, saying he was injured and that's why we lost 3 straight to end the season. CMR will play the guy he thinks gives him the best chance to win and he's stated #12 is his guy and it's not close. Aw the OLine has to give him time and the running game has to take the pressure off him to allow him to thrive. I've heard why perry isn't the guy and why Williams will eventually get his turn but not this year.

For the record, I don't think #12 is a good qb and he will hold us back from winning the ACC and competing for a Nat'l ship. Our schedule this season is creme pudding soft and we may have 3 maybe 4 competitive games that still should be wins. Any of our qbs should succeed with our talent vs this schedule.

The thing is which guy can make us better and more dominate on offense. Sorry #12 has peaked. I have no faith in him. You got the best from him and to expect improvement is delusional. Perry and /or Williams gives us hope with their skillset and upside. Blah, blah, blah they have no game exp, well how do they get it unless you put them in there. I think we are settling, like we are scared to evolve and succeed. CIS board would have gone crazy if CMR would have pulled a Satan move in the Natty regardless of how bad the incumbent was playing.

I've battled others on this matter all offseason(yeah, under another identity), so I'm well aware of whose been saying what and whose went as for as to chastise others and even put down the young guys for your support of #12.

If CMR sticks with #12 all season and i do believe he's stubborn enough to do it, our ceiling closes down on us as coastal champs only. I don't even think we groom the next guy bc games will be close with#12 as the starter and CMR won't have the luxury or confidence to get them game reps.

#12 is not a Charlie Ward, so to think that he even has the talent to improve as such is crazy. I will be going ham on here all season at all who claim #12 is this, will do this, is better for us because of this and so on. It's so plain and simple for those who are not just stat geeks but actually watch the game, study gameplay, body language, and leadership on the sidelines and in the huddle. I've mention before stats lie.

So I have put it out there, have at it as you please.

I've heard and read all offseason why #12 should be qb for 2018 season. Guys have thrown out stats, thrown out lack of game exp by the other guys, said he's a 5th yr Sr and will make the necessary improvement over last season. Ppl have made excuses, saying he was injured and that's why we lost 3 straight to end the season. CMR will play the guy he thinks gives him the best chance to win and he's stated #12 is his guy and it's not close. Aw the OLine has to give him time and the running game has to take the pressure off him to allow him to thrive. I've heard why perry isn't the guy and why Williams will eventually get his turn but not this year.

For the record, I don't think #12 is a good qb and he will hold us back from winning the ACC and competing for a Nat'l ship. Our schedule this season is creme pudding soft and we may have 3 maybe 4 competitive games that still should be wins. Any of our qbs should succeed with our talent vs this schedule.

The thing is which guy can make us better and more dominate on offense. Sorry #12 has peaked. I have no faith in him. You got the best from him and to expect improvement is delusional. Perry and /or Williams gives us hope with their skillset and upside. Blah, blah, blah they have no game exp, well how do they get it unless you put them in there. I think we are settling, like we are scared to evolve and succeed. CIS board would have gone crazy if CMR would have pulled a Satan move in the Natty regardless of how bad the incumbent was playing.

I've battled others on this matter all offseason(yeah, under another identity), so I'm well aware of whose been saying what and whose went as for as to chastise others and even put down the young guys for your support of #12.

If CMR sticks with #12 all season and i do believe he's stubborn enough to do it, our ceiling closes down on us as coastal champs only. I don't even think we groom the next guy bc games will be close with#12 as the starter and CMR won't have the luxury or confidence to get them game reps.

#12 is not a Charlie Ward, so to think that he even has the talent to improve as such is crazy. I will be going ham on here all season at all who claim #12 is this, will do this, is better for us because of this and so on. It's so plain and simple for those who are not just stat geeks but actually watch the game, study gameplay, body language, and leadership on the sidelines and in the huddle. I've mention before stats lie.

So I have put it out there, have at it as you please.
Can someone translate this? I don’t speak 12 year old.

I don't think the two are even comparable. Berlin had a lot of talent and upside. We just didn't put him in the right system to be successful. Rosier is much more limited. The coaches did a great job to create game plans around here, play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Can someone translate this? I don’t speak 12 year old.
stop looking for support *****...it is what it is and you are one of the azzholes im talking about in my post. according to all your previous post, i can tell you are not football savvy and just speak just to be a part of the convo. if you can't comprehend what is being said then that explains who you are and why you sit in your granny's basement and throw out geek stat bs that have no grounds to stand on. after the LSU game you will be one that gives excuse after excuse why #12 struggled and couldn't get anything going for the O to succeed. the OLine didn't give him time, the running game wasn't effective enough, the D couldn't get stops, coaches didn't call plays that put him in position to succeed, and so on. fact is your boyfriend is not good and you have a hard time recognizing and acknowledging truth.

Advertisement
Back