Will Rosier improve like Brock Berlin?

Fundamental difference between Brock and Malik: Brock was a solid passer who struggled with the system. Brock was a guy that belonged in the shotgun. Malik couldn't compete a pass from any platform, and is a one read quarterback. Miami won IN SPITE of Rosier last year, not because of him. In most cases, his inefficiency kept Miami from breaking games open, forcing the team to rely on last second drives, to beat teams they should have stomped.

Advertisement
Football is a simple game; it’s all about whipping the guy in front of you.

These test tube football fans always want to blame the QB or the scheme. There’s always a discrete scapegoat or some scientific event in their eyes when, in reality, we lost that game because it was Pitt’s bowl game and we completely no-showed. Rosier was horrible too, but so was everyone else.

Pitt is the type of team that can beat anyone if you come out flat because Narduzzi is one of those rah rah guys who can get his team sky high for a couple games a year like he did when they beat Clemson.

When your QB can't complete a simple bubble screen on a regular basis, you aren't beating anyone. You can't expect to beat anyone with a pulse on a regular basis in this century, if your QB is completing 40-45% of their passes. Especially when your system is mostly short, HIGH PERCENTAGE passes. Think about how inaccurate you are when simple passes, designed to get you in a rhythm don't work. Rosier was a huge problem, and eventually the law of averages caught up to him, and Miami.

Fundamental difference between Brock and Malik: Brock was a solid passer who struggled with the system. Brock was a guy that belonged in the shotgun. Malik couldn't compete a pass from any platform, and is a one read quarterback. Miami won IN SPITE of Rosier last year, not because of him. In most cases, his inefficiency kept Miami from breaking games open, forcing the team to rely on last second drives, to beat teams they should have stomped.

The revisionist history is incredible.

It’s ridiculous really. I know it’s most people are just hyped because this is the best team we’ve had in years, but the notion that we only have one weak link, that swapping out Rosier for some mythical, better QB is going to get us over the hill, is going to wash away giving up 34 to Wisconsin on our home field, is going to make us run block better against ACC bottom dwellers...it just blows my mind that people can’t see that we need to get better and build better depth all over the field before we can compete with the top dogs in the country.

We’re building that depth and talent. I give us a puncher’s chance to shock the world this year.

Brock, at his best, was a FAR cry from the best UM QBs -- Kelly, Kosar, Testaverde, Walsh, Erickson, Torretta and Dorsey. Brock should never be used as a standard to measure QB excellence against.

Advertisement
I don't think the two are even comparable. Berlin had a lot of talent and upside. We just didn't put him in the right system to be successful. Rosier is much more limited. The coaches did a great job to create game plans around here, play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses.
Berlin had comparable talent to Rosier and was a very similar QB. Streaky as ****. Good arm. Decent speed. Rosier is a better runner; Berlin could spin it a little better.

You guys love to romanticize Berlin because he was highly rated coming out of HS. So were thousands of other QBs who wound up flopping or only having decent careers.

When your QB can't complete a simple bubble screen on a regular basis, you aren't beating anyone. You can't expect to beat anyone with a pulse on a regular basis in this century, if your QB is completing 40-45% of their passes. Especially when your system is mostly short, HIGH PERCENTAGE passes. Think about how inaccurate you are when simple passes, designed to get you in a rhythm don't work. Rosier was a huge problem, and eventually the law of averages caught up to him, and Miami.
That’s why we went winless last year. You’re right.

I'm just trying to put things in the proper perspective concerning Rosier and I certainly see and understand his shortcomings. 1st year as a starter in Richt's system, 2nd year in Richt's tenure for the entire team. Had to battle other QB's in camp and got the job basically by default. 1st time getting QB1 reps. Going from virtual obscurity to being QB1 for one of the most recognizable CFB teams in the country. I don't discount his inconsistency. He had some WOW moments and some WTF moments.

I've also wondered what that shoulder "injury" was and how much that affected his delivery. I can't recall hearing much about it. Not making excuses, just an observation.

He could have said F this, I'm going to the house. You know **** well he's aware of the criticism. But he's hung in there and if nothing else, given this team time to develop the other QB's on the roster.

My hope is that he has learned from the experience he gained last year - and Richt as well - and I'm either standing in front of the TV or in the stands screaming WOW more times than WTF.

Advertisement
Here is an interesting comparison of Malik Rosier's stats versus Treon Harris' stats. Yes, Treon Harris:

rosier.png

harris-run.png

harris.png

harris-run2.png

Rosier edges out Harris' passer rating by 0.3 (127.4 versus 127.1);
Harris edges out Rosier's yards per pass attempt (7.8 versus 7.3);
Rosier edges out Harris' completion percentage (53.6% versus 50.3%);
Harris has a TD:INT ratio of 1.8 while Rosier has a TD:INT ratio of 1.65;
Running stats are also similar between the two.

If one were to project how Treon Harris would have done over a larger sample size, one could make the case he'd have stats like Malik Rosier. It is what it is, we need to see some serious improvement from Rosier.

Here is an interesting comparison of Malik Rosier's stats versus Treon Harris' stats. Yes, Treon Harris:

View attachment 62096

View attachment 62098

View attachment 62097

View attachment 62099

Rosier edges out Harris' passer rating by 0.3 (127.4 versus 127.1);
Harris edges out Rosier's yards per pass attempt (7.8 versus 7.3);
Rosier edges out Harris' completion percentage (53.6% versus 50.3%);
Harris has a TD:INT ratio of 1.8 while Rosier has a TD:INT ratio of 1.65;
Running stats are also similar between the two.

If one were to project how Treon Harris would have done over a larger sample size, one could make the case he'd have stats like Malik Rosier. It is what it is, we need to see some serious improvement from Rosier.

Another truly incredible post.

Advertisement
Berlin had comparable talent to Rosier and was a very similar QB. Streaky as ****. Good arm. Decent speed. Rosier is a better runner; Berlin could spin it a little better.

You guys love to romanticize Berlin because he was highly rated coming out of HS. So were thousands of other QBs who wound up flopping or only having decent careers.

Berlin was a much better quarterback in the shot gun than under center. Clappy McCoker was too stubborn and refused to change the offense to let Berlin flourish. He wasn't well suited for lining up under center like the offense we were running at the time.

7 of Rosier’s INT’s came in 3 games last season. If he cuts that number in half while maintaining his TD’s he’s a 30/7 player. I know I’d take that in a heartbeat, as I’m sure many on here would as well. I’m in no way saying Rosier is the answer - but if he has to be the starter, then I expect him to cut down on the mistakes he made out of three games last year. He does that and we win 2 out of the 3 games...we’re 12-1. But that’s just for our QB, imagine if the rest of the starters and key contributors also improved from last season? Then that makes it mush more likely we can get to 12-1 this year. I think with the talent we posses coupled with our schedule this year that 12-1 or worse case 11-2 is achievable.

Right. We somehow managed to field this juggernaut team that was only limited to 10 wins by the QB?

Madness I tell ya. We had our best season in 15 years while simultaneously having the worst QB ever.

Look at how many things had to go right in order for 10 wins to happen, DESPITE having one of the least accurate, and efficient quarterbacks in the country. Rosier had a defense that gave him short fields a ton, he got extra possessions, more than any other Miami quarterback in well over a decade. Now, look at how inefficient the Miami offense was on 3rd down, how inefficient it was in the redzone at times. That's on the QB, and his inability to consistently complete passes, nor make proper reads. Richt had to baby the guy, it was obvious to anyone with a brain.

Advertisement
Look at how many things had to go right in order for 10 wins to happen, DESPITE having one of the least accurate, and efficient quarterbacks in the country. Rosier had a defense that gave him short fields a ton, he got extra possessions, more than any other Miami quarterback in well over a decade. Now, look at how inefficient the Miami offense was on 3rd down, how inefficient it was in the redzone at times. That's on the QB, and his inability to consistently complete passes, nor make proper reads. Richt had to baby the guy, it was obvious to anyone with a brain.
Look how many things went right.

Rosier didn’t give up 30 points to Toledo and 28 to Virginia. He didn’t allow FSU to take the lead three separate times in the 2nd half. He didn’t botch an onside kick and allow it to be returned for a TD vs GA Tech. He didn’t miss a bunch of field goals vs Wisconsin.

You don’t win 10 games despite a quarterback contributing 3600 yards and 31TDs.

Look how many things went right.

Rosier didn’t give up 30 points to Toledo and 28 to Virginia. He didn’t allow FSU to take the lead three separate times in the 2nd half. He didn’t botch an onside kick and allow it to be returned for a TD vs GA Tech. He didn’t miss a bunch of field goals vs Wisconsin.

You don’t win 10 games despite a quarterback contributing 3600 yards and 31TDs.
People gloss over this like the offense including rosier didn’t save the defense *** in multiple games lol....

Advertisement
Back