Will Rosier improve like Brock Berlin?

...Brock Berlin improved?

Shows you how good my memory is.

I thought he was erratic his whole career here.

Advertisement
No feel for the game, slow feet, inability to throw deep or with touch, long wind up, constantly sacked himself.

LOL...sounds like Tannehill.

The fact we kept running those slow developing play actions against a heavy blitzing Louisville D in 06' was the nail in the coffin for me.

My point stands, Wright was a victim of a revolving door of horrible OCs, HCs, & offenses where we even had to play a punter at WR.

Rosier is now a senior, and the captain of the Miami Hurricanes football program as the QB.

He will be better, mature and the team as a whole now knows. It's how you complete a season.

I like he, the team, fans, this year we battle Clemson for the ACC. Not just get there.

Edits be dammed.

Go canes

At some point we can't keep making excuses all the time. Every team that wins doesn't have a whole OL full of 5-stars, you can gameplan around that with an uptempo quick passing attack.

There's a reason the trend of more True/Red & Sophomore QB's are playing a lot more because in today's era of college football you can literally manufacture offensive productivity. Between now & next year, we're going to have the most high rated talent we've had at RB, WR & TE since the dynasty days, which means regardless of who it is, the QB is surrounded with high caliber players. So enough with laundry lists about why we can't, just get it done.

Rosier is a 5th year Senior, he shouldn't have the same training wheels on him as the younger QB's would have. He better be improved. With how stacked we are at the skill positions there's no reason why we don't steamroll teams offensively.
You can have all the skill players in the world - if you can’t pick up 3rd and 2, you aren’t a good offense. I made this argument all preseason last year and all during the year. Everyone talked about fades and misdirection and unbalanced lines at the goal line ... none of it worked.

We can be good with the short passing game, maybe make a New Year’s Day bowl game. But we won’t be elite until we have an OL that can impose its will.

Your offense can’t steamroll anyone if you can’t keep them on the field.

Big difference between Berlin and Ward's situation to Rosier's. Berlin and Ward were square pegs being forced into round holes their first season as starters. When their respective coaches switched to a more spread type system with a heavy emphasis on shotgun, they came alive. Everything Richt did on offense last year was to accommodate Rosier. From the purposely watered down playbook and route three to a ton of designed QB runs. There isn't going to be a "light switch" moment where all of the sudden Rosier becomes a great passer. I expect to see him cut down on mistakes and throw fewer interceptions. I expect him to have a little more leeway to change plays at the line but I also fully expect to see a bunch of bubble screens thrown in the dirt and a bunch of three yard slants behind the receiver.

Advertisement
No. Rosier is and was never as talented as Berlin.

We should hope that if Rosier is QB1 that he is as good as last season. That he doesn’t continue to regress. We could pull off 9 or 10 wins if that happens.

As for Berlin. 5 Star talent. Drafted.

We’re all just gonna sit here and act like Berlin should’ve been lining up under center at all in 2003?

Coker cost us a title shot pulling that crap.

Put 2003 Berlin in Richt’s offense and we roll college football.

I think Rosier hit his ceiling but I hope I am 100% wrong. That being said, even he's the 2017 Rosier, if the OL holds we're going to be good. If not, not even vintage Ken Dorsey is going to save us. Our prospects for victory start and end in the trenches.

You can have all the skill players in the world - if you can’t pick up 3rd and 2, you aren’t a good offense. I made this argument all preseason last year and all during the year. Everyone talked about fades and misdirection and unbalanced lines at the goal line ... none of it worked.

We can be good with the short passing game, maybe make a New Year’s Day bowl game. But we won’t be elite until we have an OL that can impose its will.

Your offense can’t steamroll anyone if you can’t keep them on the field.
Right. People act like we weren’t throwing all those bubble screens for a reason.

We couldn’t run the ball on traditional run down and distances well enough to keep a defense honest.

I don’t think anyone is expecting us to have improved enough to just push Clemson around, but the UNCs and Pitts of CFB? We’ll know we can at least compete with Clemson when our QB doesn’t have to throw 40 times for 375 yards to beat Toledo.

LOL...sounds like Tannehill.

The fact we kept running those slow developing play actions against a heavy blitzing Louisville D in 06' was the nail in the coffin for me.

My point stands, Wright was a victim of a revolving door of horrible OCs, HCs, & offenses where we even had to play a punter at WR.

No he wasn’t. He was just terrible.

Advertisement
whatever it is we got to find out why there was such a difference in the first 7 games compared to most of the last 6 games. Was it really that shoulder injury that he got vs unc hurting him that bad or what? He definitely was a different qb after that point coming off one of his best performances of the season vs Syracuse the week prior.

I’ll hold out hope he can improve, it is interesting that he was that productive even with a injured Richards for nearly all of the games he played and Walton only playing the first 4 games. Not saying he will be elite but people who say he is so trash or can’t improve is overreacting imo

That shows TD/INT ratio, which is of course important, but doesn't tell nearly the whole story. Aside from the Pitt game, which was Kirby Freeman-esque, I don't think he was much worse later in the year than he was in the beginning. He was pretty consistently inconsistent for the whole year.

Right. People act like we weren’t throwing all those bubble screens for a reason.

We couldn’t run the ball on traditional run down and distances well enough to keep a defense honest.

I don’t think anyone is expecting us to have improved enough to just push Clemson around, but the UNCs and Pitts of CFB? We’ll know we can at least compete with Clemson when our QB doesn’t have to throw 40 times for 375 yards to beat Toledo.

You have to understand you can't run the ball into 8 man fronts, no matter how good your line is. Teams CLEARLY played Miami differently as the year went on. Go watch the Pitt game...their corners played press man the entire game, the Safeties were 8 yards off the ball.....they may as well have held up a big sign that said, "IF YOU'RE GONNA BEAT US, IT'S ON #12". And he couldn't do it. The defensive gameplans laid out late in the year were clearly designed to make Rosier win games with his arm. And it was the smart thing to do, obviously.

I see Rosier like another player from that time period. He is more like Jason Campbell at Auburn.
The jump from his Junior season to his Senior season was solid and he led Auburn to an undefeated season.
I am hoping for the same from Rosier.

I think a lot of “will Rosier be better?” Falls on Richt and co. If we gameplan to his strengths and EFFECTIVELY use our skill position players he absolutely should naturally take a step forward

Advertisement
I think a lot of “will Rosier be better?” Falls on Richt and co. If we gameplan to his strengths and EFFECTIVELY use our skill position players he absolutely should naturally take a step forward

We did that last year which is why Rosier set the record for TDs by a Miami QB. Not everything has to be an argument about coaching.

We spent the whole year trying to make things as easy for Malik as possible.

You have to understand you can't run the ball into 8 man fronts, no matter how good your line is. Teams CLEARLY played Miami differently as the year went on. Go watch the Pitt game...their corners played press man the entire game, the Safeties were 8 yards off the ball.....they may as well have held up a big sign that said, "IF YOU'RE GONNA BEAT US, IT'S ON #12". And he couldn't do it. The defensive gameplans laid out late in the year were clearly designed to make Rosier win games with his arm. And it was the smart thing to do, obviously.

Pitt played their standard Cover4/Quarters defense that they always play. It’s designed to take away short passes while also having DBs close enough for run support.

They didn’t do anything special to beat us. They ran the same defense that had them ranked 60th against the run, and every body on our team not named Rosier combined for 16 yards rushing.

16 yards against Pitt in 60 minutes. They went from the 60th ranked rushing defense to the 40th just by playing us. They didn’t do anything differently than they had done all season, but it should not have mattered if they put 12 guys on the LOS.

In today's world of modern football, very few teams have dominant enough offensive lines to just line up and run it against a defense that shows no respect for the pass. It's 100% obvious that the way to beat Miami is to key against the run and take your chances with Malik Rosier completing passes down field. I don't think it's un fair to expect a QB to be able to beat defenses that don't bother respecting his throwing ability. All it takes is just the threat of completing passes downfield to open up the entire offense. The old "run to set up the pass" philosophy is outdated. You can count the teams who do that in 2018 on one hand. In today's game the quarterback is the catalyst.

Advertisement
Wright was misused also. Kid had a rocket for an arm, ran a 4.5, and they had Him taking 100 step drops. Werner sucked.

Go look at Wright under Werner in 2005. Then look at Wright under Olson and Nix. Wright's stats below in 2005. Had Coker not thrown Werner under the bus the offense and Wright would have been much better than it was. Miami lost a bunch of close games in 2006 because the offense was completely disjointed. Olson was a moron. Nix was incompetent.

Werner gets full credit for turning around Berlin in 2004 in my opinion. Chud completely misused Berlin's skills in 2003. Berlin had very good numbers in mop up under Spurrier.

180 for 307. 58.62 Completion %. 2,407 yards passing. 18 TDs. 10 interceptions.

The old "run to set up the pass" philosophy is outdated. You can count the teams who do that in 2018 on one hand. In today's game the quarterback is the catalyst.

Mark Richt would disagree with this.

He mentioned in the ACC media day press conference that he still believes that keeping balance is his priority and running the football with TEs and a FB should open things up in the passing game and help with the play action pass and to a lesser extent the RPO we rely on.

Mark Richt would disagree with this.

He mentioned in the ACC media day press conference that he still believes that keeping balance is his priority and running the football with TEs and a FB should open things up in the passing game and help with the play action pass and to a lesser extent the RPO we rely on.

Balance is still paramount. You can't just throw every down. However if Mark Richt thinks that lining up in the I with a full back is the key to opening up the offense, he must have a terrible memory. They tried that for the first half of 2016 and sputtered to a 4-4 record. Look, you need those big guys for short yardage and having a legit power running threat does open up the playbook on third and three but there's a big difference between having a short yardage package and having the offensive philosophy of forcing the run game to somehow open up the passing game.

Running the football just for the sake of running it is clearly not something he wants to do.
Running it when the defense is playing the pass and passing it when the defense is playing the run is what he mentioned. And running the football better will open things up in the passing game.

Advertisement
Back