Two lessons from this class and Avantae Williams

as D$ stated, the brand is actually strong, much stronger than the actual program(presently)

When I travel and have my UM gear on (my UM Nike sweatsuit is usually what I have) -- I always get comments like 'Hey the U!!'. It's actually surprising it still happens. Miami still resonates nationally believe it or not

I got stopped or thrown the U like 10x in Vegas, last year. I was surprised.

Advertisement
So very true! If we log at least 10 wins this year, we will have a top 8 class. 11 wins, top 6 and if we win 12 or more, top 5 and maybe top 3.
Texas, A&M, USC (not this year) AU, routinely finish in top 10 recruiting but lately haven't finished top 10 in final polls. It's getting the "Jimmys" and developing. Our staffs have generally failed at that the past 16+ years...

1. Persistence matters. A lot of people clowned the staff for continuing to recruit Avantae Williams, Jaylan Knighton, Chantz Williams and Jalen Rivers. Our coaches were on those guys for 3+ years. At various points, it looked like we would miss on all four. Now they are Hurricanes. Relationships matter and things can change quickly.

2. Paradise Camp is an NSD preview. If you want to see what our class will look like, go to Paradise Camp. This year, we had TVD, Worsham, Avantae, Rivers, Chris Washington, Clarke, Balom and more. We need to continue to devote resources and efforts to that event because we get return on investment.

At the end of the day, we lost to FIU and still finished with the 12th ranked class. The U brand remains strong after 15 years of struggle. Win and they will come.
Yup shut me all up.. I definitely gave up on Knighton
Worsham
Williams

Advertisement
If Lashlee can get King & this offense to run at an optimum level & we mess around win 10 games + Coastal, plus with the additions of Reed, Lockette & Hyppolite, we might actually clean up in recruiting for the 21 class.

Idk why but this season just feels different than the last few...
If the offense gets going I really believe we can win at 10 games at worst. Each win would boost their confidence which should have them playing at a high level

Definitely need to win because next year there’s a lot elite talent for the 21 class
AGREED.. Let's get all them here for the Paradise Camp, and I think we are in the driver seat.. THEN our CANES follow that up with a WINNING season getting to the ACCCG!!

Wait Manny Diaz is a horrible coach, can't recruit and his defensive rankings are only because of playing in the trash ACC. Thought that was the narrative?

Advertisement
I think it’s because we have a coach who is **** bent on winning. Can Manny make it happen? I’m not sure. But, it’s **** clear he is trying and I think he will do anything he can to make that happen. Best we can all day is cheer him on and hope for the best.
Man, I have a series of questions about whether Manny is the guy, but I have never questioned his desire to win. Matter of fact, he might mess around and have us on sanction watch again. That's how bad he wants it. He knows there is no greater city to be a winner in than Miami.

If Lashlee can get King & this offense to run at an optimum level & we mess around win 10 games + Coastal, plus with the additions of Reed, Lockette & Hyppolite, we might actually clean up in recruiting for the 21 class.

Idk why but this season just feels different than the last few...
It really does feel different

as D$ stated, the brand is actually strong, much stronger than the actual program(presently)

When I travel and have my UM gear on (my UM Nike sweatsuit is usually what I have) -- I always get comments like 'Hey the U!!'. It's actually surprising it still happens. Miami still resonates nationally believe it or not

I am Rhetty K9.

Give me 30 points a game and I will show you a 10 win Miami program almost annually.

Advertisement
I am Rhetty K9.

Give me 30 points a game and I will show you a 10 win Miami program almost annually.

when I was at the '17 ND game, as I looked around at an electrified Hard Rock, the thought was, 'this is what it could be like all the time if they ever get this thing, right."

I can't believe it, but they are pulling me back in, lol

when I was at the '17 ND game, as I looked around at an electrified Hard Rock, the thought was, 'this is what it could be like all the time if they ever get this thing, right."

I can't believe it, but they are pulling me back in, lol

The superbowl showed off our home field in a way that was simply awesome.

Homefield advantage should 100% happen.

It’s not the cane sweat suit that’s drawing the attention it’s the yellow and purple hat you’re wearing that says “ cowboys butts drive me nuts”.

Advertisement
Weird how we weren't persistent

Weird flex on #1 given we essentially gave up or never really tried with a bunch of guys. I mean, yeah, they went hard for Knighton, but we gave up on Walker. Who's running the show? Are we never going to give up on elite recruits or are we only going to go hard for the ones we win?

I'm sure they go hard after everyone they believe can help this team.

What moat people fail to realize, recruiting isn't always on the coaches. The recruits have to reciprocate the interest and if the coaches feel they are, they stay on them.

It's no different than any other relationship. There's a point when it's just time to move on or to keep going at it.

Sure, recruiting is sales, but there's a bunch of good salesmen out there all trying to get the same recruit. No two are alike or wanting the same thing. So you do what you can and roll with who wants you.

People complain constantly about this staff's recruiting ability

But they just put together at Top 12 class after a miserable year and consecutive years of terrible offense.

If we looked even somewhat competent and won 8-9 games this year we prob would've landed Flowe, Fleming, Francois, Height, etc. and we've flirted with a Top 5 class

If we start to win (10-11 games) and the offense looks fun to play in, there's no reason we shouldn't start to see consistent top 10/top 5 classes
I agree with all of that, but I think the recruiting criticisms are for a few reasons:
1) we still miss on the top guys at key positions from South Florida (I Walker being one this year). I don’t really blame them for a lot of these misses, particularly the skill position guys chasing bags, but they need to start winning 9+ games a year and develop guys to start being in the conversation for them.
2) our boards can be a mess through the season, though Rumph and Banda pulled the rabbit out of the hat this year with Tae and Dunson (and Christian Williams last year).
3) There are still some problem areas... LB is still a bit of an issue as is OL. OL is obviously understandable this year and it does seem like we got a good one with Rivers, but we do need more numbers there.
4) The early signs from the top kids for next year are not great. Hopefully Lashlee comes out and we look lights out, win 10+ games and can keep a lot of those guys at home.

I have been extremely skeptical and critical of Diaz, but it seems like he is learning. It’s his second year as a head coach so I am hopeful we see big jumps next year. I would have loved to see him replace Patke with an ace recruiter on that side of the ball, but we will see how it goes. I hope he comes out this year, wins those games and makes a whole bunch of us eat more crow.

NEVER UNDER-ESTIMATE THE MIAMI MYSTIQUE...

Especially with Ed Reed prowling the side lines...
I know what your saying but I don’t think Reed will be on the sidelines. Do high school players even care about Reed?

Advertisement
Back