Two lessons from this class and Avantae Williams

Where is @Awsi Dooger to throw an ocean of cold water on the ROSOOS (Recurring Off-Season Over-Optimism Syndrome)(pronounced like Rousseau's name). We do this every year and things DO appear to be different THIS year, but i'll wait until November to voice an opinion on whether things are trending up.

Go Canes. Season Ticket Holder forever. I go to games "disirregardlessly" of whether we win or lose

Advertisement
This is exactly why the losing and fckery around this program is so frustrating to those of us who know what this program is capable of under simply competent leadership.

There are **** stained mopes on here who think UM is as crummy as their own empty lives because all they know is losing. But when you can churn out 6 wins, including the worst loss in program history, and still attract Lashlee, King. Roche, Borregales, and the 12th ranked class, this program remains the ultimate sleeping giant.

This is exactly why the losing and fckery around this program is so frustrating to those of us who know what this program is capable of under simply competent leadership.

There are **** stained mopes on here who think UM is as crummy as their own empty lives because all they know is losing. But when you can churn out 6 wins, including the worst loss in program history, and still attract Lashlee, King. Roche, Borregales, and the 12th ranked class, this program remains the ultimate sleeping giant.

i've been around since the 1970s plus I'm an alum. I know what the program is capable of and it appears that Manny has "secured the solutions" as he said yesterday but he doesn't know if these solutions will actually work and neither do you nor I, hence why he said that now the real works begins. We won't know til November. the lack of culture is difficult to fix especially since bad culture has been transmitted from class to class over the years. Not only could Manny not fix it in one year (difficult to do) but it got worse in 2019, hence why Ed Reed is here.

Advertisement
People complain constantly about this staff's recruiting ability

But they just put together at Top 12 class after a miserable year and consecutive years of terrible offense.

If we looked even somewhat competent and won 8-9 games this year we prob would've landed Flowe, Fleming, Francois, Height, etc. and we've flirted with a Top 5 class

If we start to win (10-11 games) and the offense looks fun to play in, there's no reason we shouldn't start to see consistent top 10/top 5 classes
close would be a stretch in almost any year. Close had USC written all over him except for Clay Helton.

Had Texans on those 80’s and 90’s teams too.. 3 of my all time favorite Canes from Texas. Kevin Williams, Jesse Armstead, and Jonathan Harris. I hung out with K. Williams a couple times, when he was a Dallas Cowboy.
Our Texas recruiting started in a big way when JJ and Butch came in. The Oklahoma schools recruited Texas big-time and Jimmy had scored a major coup when he got Hart Lee Dykes from Texas to go to Oklahoma State.

A report I read is that Kevin Williams just about recruited himself to Miami. He was a national elite who could have gone anywhere, First Team USAToday A-A.

I see a lot of green and orange around The Boot (Louisiana), MIAMI Glory days are thick around here, ppl here know what The U was this is why MIAMI needs to invade The Boot, believe it or not MIAMI could kill it in recruiting in this state..

Ive been saying this for a lil while. Just how sec teams show up in dade every spring..we should be in new orleans every spring handing out offers like beads at mardi gras

Advertisement
one summer about 1991, I was wearing a T-shirt that said " Team of the '80's" or something like that on Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights. It listed the two NCs we had won, in '83 and '87. All of a sudden the homeless women whom I frequently saw on the street yelled at me, "What about '89?"

And yall say Donna Shalala wasnt a true cane

Exactly. The hires since Butch (yes I'm including the burnt out version of Richt) have been so lifeless and lacking of vision, as well as the clown AD, that people don't realize what even a solid overall coaching/recruiting staff could do here. Program remains a sleeping giant.

1. Persistence matters. A lot of people clowned the staff for continuing to recruit Avantae Williams, Jaylan Knighton, Chantz Williams and Jalen Rivers. Our coaches were on those guys for 3+ years. At various points, it looked like we would miss on all four. Now they are Hurricanes. Relationships matter and things can change quickly.

2. Paradise Camp is an NSD preview. If you want to see what our class will look like, go to Paradise Camp. This year, we had TVD, Worsham, Avantae, Rivers, Chris Washington, Clarke, Balom and more. We need to continue to devote resources and efforts to that event because we get return on investment.

At the end of the day, we lost to FIU and still finished with the 12th ranked class. The U brand remains strong after 15 years of struggle. Win and they will come.

How much will Reed be able to do at this event now that he's on staff?

If the answer is not much then maybe he can convince some of the old studs to come to help coach at this event. I think it's the premiere event in the state of FL now compared to the UF and FSU camp.

Don’t forget kicker my guy.

This is the first off season in forever where I look at the roster as a whole and feel really good about it. Rb depth and ol make me nervous but nowhere as nervous as last year. Especially if we grab a ol in the portal in spring.

LB scares the crap out of me.

Advertisement
Our Texas recruiting started in a big way when JJ and Butch came in. The Oklahoma schools recruited Texas big-time and Jimmy had scored a major coup when he got Hart Lee Dykes from Texas to go to Oklahoma State.

A report I read is that Kevin Williams just about recruited himself to Miami. He was a national elite who could have gone anywhere, First Team USAToday A-A.
Pat Jones actually signed Hart Lee Dykes at okie st.. Dykes recruitment just about got all the old SWC teams on probation - He was that good lol. Dykes younger bro Billy signed with Oklahoma a few yrs later as a TE but battled injuries and never started.

According to then Miami recruiting coordinator Dave Scott in 1989 , Kevin Williams sought out Miami...said the KW recruitment was easy but should have been much tougher given his status as a blue chip recruit.

That year Miami signed 3 of the 10 the top 10 prospects in Texas... KW along with Jessie Armstead, and Martin Patton

Miami signed Charles Pharms from Houston Madison hs in 1988.. he essentially started the UM raid on Texas talent. Pharms was heavily recruited by Oklahoma who told him he could be the their next Rickey Dixon who was a concensus AA and the number 5 overall pick in the 1988 draft. Pharms signed with Miami and entered the starting lineup as a true fr at FS the week following the loss to notre dame

Last edited:
Persistence is about building relationships over a period of time. The staff has built relationships with these kids for 3+ years. This stresses the importance of identifying talent early and building those relationships over the course of the kid's high school career.

Advertisement
1592535735967.gif

Advertisement
Back