TRob interview interesting

Advertisement
T-Rob is a really good recruiter but this board completely hyped this guy up to be a miracle worker as a position coach. Our DB's have been nominally better this year and frankly, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he moved on especially if the whole staff was purged, including Manny.
I wouldn't even say nominally better; that's overly generous.

The problem is Manny has his fingerprints all over this. Manny won't allow T-Rob to do what he wants to do with his boys.
That is a bull**** excuse. He is a consummate recruiter but his coaching skills are lacking. Look at the last place Defense he had as defensive coordinator at S. Carolina and how his safeties have performed since he came here. Not lighting up the sky my friend. The guy has been a mediocre coach st USCE and since the time he joined us.

I think you may be flying solo in the NOT having huge concerns about the secondary. TS has been solid and getting better but our CBs not named TS just let virtually every single Pickett pass to be completed prior to playing the Pop Warner Ga Tech QB.
Agree and even TS has missed some coverages and tackles and been burnt in the passing game.

Agree and even TS has missed some coverages and tackles and been burnt in the passing game.
His worst game he had food poisoning and was puking on the sideline ( Msu). Since then he’s played very well. Hes gotten better each week and barely gets thrown on now. If he does it’s very short completions.

People forget he hasn’t played cb In two years. All things considered its impressive.

Advertisement
Facts

There is always a big ten team that surprises every year whether it's Wisconsin Michigan Iowa and they all play the same. They lose in the end cause of the talent gap the SEC has. The UGA and Bamas will expose them.
Yeah those teams are not only strong up front but have legit athletes at the skill positions

Just too much for most

His worst game he had food poisoning and was puking on the sideline ( Msu). Since then he’s played very well. Hes gotten better each week and barely gets thrown on now. If he does it’s very short completions.

People forget he hasn’t played cb In two years. All things considered its impressive.
People dogged him for that big TD he gave up against MSU but we sold out completely on that play

Wasn’t on him to me

Advertisement
People dogged him for that big TD he gave up against MSU but we sold out completely on that play

Wasn’t on him to me
There’s no way he should’ve been out there that game. **** near 100 degrees and dehydrated from vomiting.

Its funny he’ll go games allowing next to nothing , gives up a catch and then he sucks. He’s been really good the last 3-4 games but no props.

I wonder where all the “ couch is a better cover guy” people are? Boy that was a hot take skip bayless would be proud of.

That is a bull**** excuse. He is a consummate recruiter but his coaching skills are lacking. Look at the last place Defense he had as defensive coordinator at S. Carolina and how his safeties have performed since he came here. Not lighting up the sky my friend. The guy has been a mediocre coach st USCE and since the time he joined us.
Agree. as one of the DBs said in a recent interview, they play a combination of man. zone and basically what other teams play - with blitzes too; from my lay perspective nothing so novel or unique scheme wise.
It's great that TRob had a 1st round pick at USCe; also great that he got some good recruits for now [despite Fegans flip to Bama); and some are likely impressed that there's video clips of TRob cursing away during practices, but I don't come away with the conclusion that our secondary - particular the corners have noticeably, if at all. improved..
Our freshman safeties have serious talent but agree with you that they have made mistakes too. For example, WIlliams was behind the player on his last interception - it was just a crappy pass. If that QB put it on the money it would have been a TD. At times they have been out of position, zigging instead of zagging, and angles taken were no bueno. (i realize its easy to say what should be done but not always so easy to do -- and they're young]. At least as to the freshman though [Kinchens and the two Williams], its exciting to see them flashing. see their potential, and they seem like they will be major studs down the line. Seem like a big part of their ability to make plays is because of their sheer talent and football IQ

There’s no way he should’ve been out there that game. **** near 100 degrees and dehydrated from vomiting.

Its funny he’ll go games allowing next to nothing , gives up a catch and then he sucks. He’s been really good the last 3-4 games but no props.

I wonder where all the “ couch is a better cover guy” people are? Boy that was a hot take skip bayless would be proud of.
It’s just a different energy in the secondary with him and the 3 freshmen as well

Not digging any of our other guys but those 4 are dogs and it shows

Advertisement

Fair point on the food poisoning comment; thankfully I missed the other part you wrote above.
Haven't kept detailed track of his play; just my general impression that some receivers [and maybe they're just those super fast and quick types] get by him or are able to get completions with less difficulty than say a TC.
Think it was this last game but TS was chasing the opposing player on a long run and couldn't catch him; they scored. Later I was watching the Bama game and watched Battle chase down and tackle the opposing player on a long run; preventing the TD. Each situation is different of course, and it may be apples to oranges, but it left me wondering about the sufficiency of his speed to play as a high level CB.
He's also made some good plays and hopefully he keeps improving.

Fair point on the food poisoning comment; thankfully I missed the other part you wrote above.
Haven't kept detailed track of his play; just my general impression that some receivers [and maybe they're just those super fast and quick types] get by him or are able to get completions with less difficulty than say a TC.
Think it was this last game but TS was chasing the opposing player on a long run and couldn't catch him; they scored. Later I was watching the Bama game and watched Battle chase down and tackle the opposing player on a long run; preventing the TD. Each situation is different of course, and it may be apples to oranges, but it left me wondering about the sufficiency of his speed to play as a high level CB.
He's also made some good plays and hopefully he keeps improving.
I thought Couch really was gonna be good here but these last few weeks he has been absolutely terrible

Almost to the point where I think he’s playing injured

Advertisement
He’s recruited his behind off. You admit DB’s have been better. He’s the S coach and two true freshmen look like the answer already.

What more does he need to do?
This is cis, people care about hot takes more than being factual about the takes. See how fast they turn on ya here? This dude stepped on campus and immediately started recruiting cb’s at the highest level we’ve had in almost two decades. The safeties is one of our best groups , guess what ? He coaches them lol. But now he sucks. On top of that he recruits other positions to pick up the slack from the rest of the coaches on defense.

TRob the recruiter would be sorely missed.

TRob the coach is a little more replaceable.

Hopefully Mike Tomlin doesn't hire him when he goes to UiF. You know he once coached in Tampa, right?

I thought Couch really was gonna be good here but these last few weeks he has been absolutely terrible

Almost to the point where I think he’s playing injured
I know and hear ya.
Someone else commented. and I tend to agree, that offenses are trying to have him cover bigger receivers that can just "outbody" him. So that may be part of it.
Makes me appreciate a little bit more a guy like Lamarcus Joyner, who was also undersized, but played well at DB and has been in the league for several years (looks likeJoynrr plays safety and not CB so that may have something to do with it).

Last edited:
He’s not replaceable. We’ve cried for years for a position coach of this caliber. But…. Real recognize incompetent. And real is going to bounce his *** as far away from incompetence as possible. Just like Mario keeping his *** from Blake.

Advertisement
Back