Todays practice 31st

Advertisement
We’ve now had two absolute morons, @Lexcane and @calinative umstudent, suggest that our second string running back should be the QB in an option offense. Where do these people come from? How are they living, breathing humans?

Are you dense? You realize that while Deejay has spent his entire life playing the read option, he has played basically 10 months at RB. His entire HS highlight tape is him playing QB, and you think its moronic or inconceivable that he could end up as a legit QB possibility? You're the one sounding ignorant not me.

Your ****ting me right ? There's a difference between thinking outside the box and just being an artard. You're suggesting that Robert burns and cam Davis will take over deejay Dallas's reps on offense and he will just slide in to the qb? But you're only qualm about it is you're worried he can't throw 50-70 yards ? I just want to make sure that's right.... I mean it's not outlandish running the same wildcat package and having him throw instead of running it everytime .. Trust me another year of Rosier will make me drink bleach but It's stupid to think Dallas would be better lmao

Are you forgetting Lingard and Homer as well? Our RB depth would be just fine with Deejay at QB, especially since as a read option QB, he'd be doing a crap ton of carries himself. Lingard, Homer, Burns, and Davis with Dallas at QB is PLENTY loaded for a backfield.

And what precisely is unfathomable about Deejay running our offense? The kid's entire life has been spent playing read option QB. His experience at QB dwarfs the miniscule amount of time he's spent at RB. The biggest question for him, and any read option QB frankly, is whether he has the arm strength and touch to throw effective deep balls to keep defenses honest. A read option QB that can't throw the deep ball is just asking for 8-9 man fronts that will shut him down.

Are you dense? You realize that while Deejay has spent his entire life playing the read option, he has played basically 10 months at RB. His entire HS highlight tape is him playing QB, and you think its moronic or inconceivable that he could end up as a legit QB possibility? You're the one sounding ignorant not me.

You need to get off the ketamine.

Dallas was what’s known as a running quarterback in high school, most commonly referred to as an athlete. A guy playing RB from the QB position. Looking to run most plays. He averaged between 6 and 7 pass attempts in high school per game and about 38 yds pg passing, He is very far from a polished passer. You’re high.

Is he good enough to throw a nice pass on a trick play or occasionally as a wildcat QB to keep them honest. Sure. Why not?

There is way too much arm talent and experience on this squad, so it is completely inconceivable that he would end up as a legit QB possibility, even if you go down a couple of college divisions. What he is, is a **** of an athlete, that can play multiple positions, possibly even defense if given time to learn.

Your best bet is to say you were kidding all along or the name Lexcane will go down in CIS history to be mocked with the likes of hamburgerhipster and his declarations of love for Bert Bielema.

Advertisement
Lol y’all get way too emotional over one person’s opinion. Especially a family member’s opinion who always has some sort of bias. Not saying Brook isn’t our best source but let’s just let this play out before we jump to naming our starting QB the 5th spring practice of the year

Great write-up, and thanks for sharing the intel, Brooklyndee.

In my opinion, it all comes down to our OLine (Will they be able to run block effectively and get us critical 3rd down conversions?) and our DLine (Can they stay healthy?). We will be in a non-ideal spot no matter what at QB -- a Senior of limited talent, a RF who has yet to separate himself from the pack, and a TF who is the most talented but needs some time -- so we are going to have to rely heavy on the run game.

Which is what I prefer anyway. We need to be a run-first offense. If we have to rely on our QB to win us games next year, 10 wins is our ceiling.

soul shattering to know that perry isn't a full 2 steps ahead of malik

I get we're only a few practices in, and I don't care

malik is throwing baseball throws out there, and you can't get any separation from that ??

soul shattering to know that perry isn't a full 2 steps ahead of malik

I get we're only a few practices in, and I don't care

malik is throwing baseball throws out there, and you can't get any separation from that ??

You realize the observers are only watching the first few minutes of practice, right?

The sample size is too small and you’re too emotional if your soul is already shattered. Go to church.

Advertisement
Me too. His QB tape was pretty impressive in HS. With Burns giving us something and with Lingard and Camron Davis (supposed to be a great pass catcher) coming in to help Homer at RB...man, it isn't entirely inconceivable that a pure read option with Dallas is a better alternative than another year with Rosier.

The key is Dallas' long ball to keep defenses honest. If he has the strength and touch to throw 50-70 yards effectively, that read option becomes more enticing by the second.
50-70yd throws? How many of these throws happen in games?

You realize deejay only played (starting)that one season at qb right? Hes said himself it wasnt natural for him but **** do whatever is necessary for his team. Im not trying to argue simply pointing something out. Serious question though. Are you suggesting this as a starting qb option or a package? As much as i cant stand malik i personally just cant see deejay at qb as an option unless were supposed to run the wishbone or triple option. Just cant see deejays passings skills if a defense has to account for it as being any better than maliks (and that says alot)

Last edited:
@Brooklyndee

Great report and very much appreciated! I'm actually not the least bit surprised about Malik hanging in there. He's not going to just roll over and let one of these freshmen take his job. If one of these freshmen want the job they are going to have to pry it from him.

Also not one bit surprised by your opinion on JW. I can also see it in him. Williams just seems to be in control when playing. Also seems mature beyond his years.

DeeJay is a Cane through and through. Kid is a throwback and could have thrived on any of our championship teams. I cannot wait to see him play this year.

If Burns is healthy and can stay healthy then this backfield becomes the best in the country and has the potential to be the best in program history. Sick!!

I fully expect the offensive line to make a significant leap this year. Gentlemen, if we can get good consistent QB play this seaso n, this offense will be a ******* nightmare for opposing teams to go up against.

I agree about Williams. "Control" is a great way to describe the little bit I've seen on practice film. On the play-action rollout drill Malik was off balance and airmailed the ball (no excuse), N'Kosi didn't throw a very catchable ball (late, high velocity duck), Cade's footwork was sloppy (at top of the PA), and Jarren looked the most polished and comfortable in all aspects.

That was big to me because they're playing against air without a pass-rush, and the details matter. You play the way you practice and, to me, Malik may have some gamer in him but he lacks focus and consistency. I haven't seen a whole lot, but just based on the above I could see a scenario where Jarren gets the job. Malik would be a great #2 QB, because he's fearless, but his poor focus limits our offensive ceiling. N'Kosi has enough time in the system to let his athleticism and natural talent take over but for some reason (not enough of a technician?) he hasn't separated himself, which is concerning.

None of these QBs need to be all-world, but they do need to execute the offense and get the ball to playmakers, on time. In the rollout drill Jarren did that and I don't want to make a big deal from one play but Jarren (a TF) should never look more "in control" than Malik (a RSR).

Also, we can't give up on Burns because dude has the most physical talent in the room; tremendous size, speed, and power combination. The only thing I want to know is if he still has the speed he came in with after adding all that weight. That said, they aren't close to Portis, Willis & Frank, but I'm not at practice and would defer to @Brooklyndee if he thought differently.

Last edited:
You realize deejay only played (starting)that one season at qb right? Hes said himself it wasnt natural for him but **** do whatever is necessary for his team. Im not trying to argue simply pointing something out. Serious question though. Are you suggesting this as a starting qb option or a package? As much as i cant stand malik i personally just cant see deejay at qb as an option unless were supposed to run the wishbone or triple option. Just cant see deejays passings skills if a defense has to account for it as being any better than maliks (and that says alot)

You'll never have to worry about that because Richt is not an option guy. He'll go with Malik and a heavy run game before he goes all Paul Johnson, but I'm sure DJ will have option packages at some point because he's such a baller.

Advertisement
If anything the Robert Burns news is encouraging and we are very deep at running back. Also it’s an important lesson to give time for people to develop and not write them off so fast. Idk if N’Kosi will win the job but I do know it’s early for sure. In addition to that, rosier did nothing to be untouchable as the qb especially how rosier finished the season the last7 games. Richt knows that and you can tell that from his comments he made after the Pitt, clemson, Wisconsin game and in the offseason. Buckle up it’s going to be a long race for the starting qb

If anything the Robert Burns news is encouraging and we are very deep at running back. Also it’s an important lesson to give time for people to develop and not write them off so fast. Idk if N’Kosi will win the job but I do know it’s early for sure. In addition to that, rosier did nothing to be untouchable as the qb especially how rosier finished the season the last7 games. Richt knows that and you can tell that from his comments he made after the Pitt, clemson, Wisconsin game and in the offseason. Buckle up it’s going to be a long race for the starting qb

Now here’s a an example of a good Broke post.

Emphasis on long race, as in I don’t think we’ll have any idea until midsummer.

Everyone hopes Burns can shake the injury bug. But until they start scrimmaging and being tackled for real we won’t know a bit about Burns and whether he has turned the corner. He looks awesome running drills because he has incredible talent. That’s never been a question. The only question on him is durability, and that hasn’t been answered in any way yet.

I’d love to see him make it through a season before I start buying in. Get 30 carries. Survive a season. And build on that.

Advertisement
Is this like an April fools thing ? I'm not trying to teach thermodynamics of plants I just want to you to just say out loud you think deejay Dallas will lead us to an acc championship game against Clemson as our starting qb ?

Great write-up, and thanks for sharing the intel, Brooklyndee.

In my opinion, it all comes down to our OLine (Will they be able to run block effectively and get us critical 3rd down conversions?) and our DLine (Can they stay healthy?). We will be in a non-ideal spot no matter what at QB -- a Senior of limited talent, a RF who has yet to separate himself from the pack, and a TF who is the most talented but needs some time -- so we are going to have to rely heavy on the run game.

Which is what I prefer anyway. We need to be a run-first offense. If we have to rely on our QB to win us games next year, 10 wins is our ceiling.
I thought our line did enough last year to win 12 games. 13 if we played Ark State. Not sure why they'd regress. Every team relies on their QB to win games. Sometimes they can win games by making good decisions and making easy passes. Winning a game doesn't always mean going Dan Marino and throwing for 300 yards in the second half of a shootout. What we need from our QB is good decisions and accurate passes to our plethora of talented skill position players. Hit enough passes that the run game will have room to work. That shouldn't be asking too much from a UM QB. Our line did enough for Rosier to make plays, and he didn't. That made their job of run blocking that much harder.

Advertisement
Back